A 24x DVD burner in an external enclosure?

vbimport

Now I’ve stayed out of the CD Freak business for quite some time so I’m a bit confused. I kind of fell in love with the Optiarc 7240S, it’s inexpensive and seems to burn with great quality… but it is only sold as an internal device.

Since I cannot use internal burners, I have thought of putting it in an enclosure.

1. USB 3.0 is not supported in my laptop, and burning at more than 18x via USB 2.0 is close to impossible. It seems I need one of those expensive eSATA enclosures to enjoy the 24x speeds…?
  2. Are these compatible with eSATA ExpressCards (for example JMicron)?
  3. And what about the strange “weak power supply” issue? It seems a lot of external enclosures come with underdimensioned power supplies, but where can I obtain better replacements?

Now if anybody has some personal experience to talk about, it would be great :flower:

One thing that slows a USB burn is the CPU overhead of USB. That said, have you considered FireWire? With my laptop I generally only get 8X (with the source on a USB HardDrive) with USB. My burner only does 16X and I got the full speed over FireWire.

Nice idea, but 1) SATA to FireWire enclosures are even more overpriced and 2) there’s no internal FireWire so I would need an ExpressCard again. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2504696]Now I’ve stayed out of the CD Freak business for quite some time so I’m a bit confused. I kind of fell in love with the Optiarc 7240S, it’s inexpensive and seems to burn with great quality… but it is only sold as an internal device.

Since I cannot use internal burners, I have thought of putting it in an enclosure.

1. USB 3.0 is not supported in my laptop, and burning at more than 18x via USB 2.0 is close to impossible. It seems I need one of those expensive eSATA enclosures to enjoy the 24x speeds…?
  2. Are these compatible with eSATA ExpressCards (for example JMicron)?
  3. And what about the strange “weak power supply” issue? It seems a lot of external enclosures come with underdimensioned power supplies, but where can I obtain better replacements?

Now if anybody has some personal experience to talk about, it would be great :flower:[/QUOTE]
Hey Max :),
I am using 2 of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815290004
with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817716048
yes, I know they are not in stock any more just giving u some examples of what will work :wink:
also this enclosure, jmicron chipset http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817332019
I have 100’s of scans posted in the 724x thread they are all esata burns, 24x is no problem with a good spindle of media. The only problems I have had are cheap esata to esata cables but the enclosures work fine. I am using Samsung 243N and 203B, Optiarc 7240S and 7200S, and Pioneer 215D in these enclosures with no problems reaching top burning and ripping speed. I am using a desktop computer.

Just received this particular one and had to add some padding to the bottom of the front metal casing since with an ODD in there, it was too heavy to keep the hole aligned. It also reduced some potential rattling that may have appeared. It’s not quite as fancy or sturdy like the Vantec or Metal Gear enclosures, but seems to reach the throughput of SATA as if it were inside the PC. The eSATA cable did seemed good though the power adapter could’ve had larger gauge wires.

[QUOTE=KTL;2508822]Just received this particular one and had to add some padding to the bottom of the front metal casing since with an ODD in there, it was too heavy to keep the hole aligned. It also reduced some potential rattling that may have appeared. It’s not quite as fancy or sturdy like the Vantec or Metal Gear enclosures, but seems to reach the throughput of SATA as if it were inside the PC. The eSATA cable did seemed good though the power adapter could’ve had larger gauge wires.[/QUOTE]
I have a Pioneer 215D in mine and had no problems and yea I wish the Metal Gear enclosures were still available. Have fun:D

James, with that 4-port controller running off the PCI bus, do you have a LO MTK 24x burner that can burn up to that speed without dropping down?

[QUOTE=KTL;2509055]James, with that 4-port controller running off the PCI bus, do you have a LO MTK 24x burner that can burn up to that speed without dropping down?[/QUOTE]
Yes, all burns posted in the 724x thread by myself are esata interface but here is a fresh one. I usually blame the media if it fails to reach 24x. I do experience a lot of failed attempts at 24x.

For that speeds I would only suggest using [B]Firewire or eSATA[/B], maybe usb3 if all compatibility issues were ruled out…

Thanks James. Were the iHAS324 A & S243N burns through eSATA as well?

[QUOTE=KTL;2509536]Thanks James. Were the iHAS324 A & S243N burns through eSATA as well?[/QUOTE]
just the 243N

Just bought this.

[QUOTE=KTL;2512628]Just bought this.[/QUOTE]
:cool: I hope it works well for you.

[QUOTE=KTL;2512628]Just bought this.[/QUOTE]

That’s a good price AR for the SU (eSATA+USB2). Normally, you could only get the S2 (USB2-only) for that price.

Yes it is. I’m glad I waited since I almost bought it almost a week before the rebate was offered. It definitely has a better construction and feel to the previous one I bought and with the built-in AC/DC adapter, it doesn’t need the extra brick. I just wished Vantec offered a NEC-based IDE-USB enclosure like this one, so I can use the BenQ/NXP drives from time-to-time, since there are no IDE drives in my Stacker anymore.

[QUOTE=KTL;2514474]I just wished Vantec offered a NEC-based IDE-USB enclosure like this one, so I can use the BenQ/NXP drives from time-to-time, since there are no IDE drives in my Stacker anymore.[/QUOTE]

Strangely, the NEC USB2 chipset wasn’t too popular with any of the name-brand enclosure manufacturers. I have no idea why. You could mostly only find it on cheaper and off-brand or no-name models. Cypress, Prolific, and Genesys Logic seemed to rule the day (with ALi and Myson trailing far behind).

The only name-brand NEC chipset enclosures I can find right now are made by Syba. They have two models, the SD-U2DEL-525 (plastic), and the SD-U2PLA-525 (aluminum). That’s it. Maybe NEC will get more popular with USB 3.0.

Do you know what the chipset is in the Vantec 530U2?

Looks like the 530U2 has a Cypress chipset as indicated here.

I just had to share this result of a cheap burner/enclosure combination that gives amazing 20X burns over USB. For around 55 US $ @ the egg you can put this external rig together. The enclosure is a NexStar DX model NST-530S2 with an OEM Lite-On iHAS 124 (dreaded Y clone of Sony/NEC/Optiarc 7240S) that goes for less that 20 bucks! True 20X burns over USB 2.0!!