9600 pro or GeForce4 Ti?

I’m looking to buy a mid-range graphics card and dont know which one to go for. Been looking around at prices and reviews of different boards and have got it down to 2 boards, either a Radeon 9600 pro or one of the GeForce4 Ti boards (Ti 4400 or Ti 4800SE) but im not sure which is better, anyone help?

That’s an easy one: ATI Radeon 9600 Pro :wink:

What about the GeForce FX 5600 Ultra or FX 5700 vs 9600 pro?

Mid Range Board ($199) = ATI Radeon 9600 XT
…forget the pro :slight_smile:

Had a look around some UK sites on the net for the 9600 XT, seems to be a bit more expensive than the 9600 pro and i dont even think anyone has it yet, all the ones i saw were pre-order. Think i might just wait till christmas time and see if the prices come down a bit :stuck_out_tongue:

If you can wait till xmas, you might want to consider the 9800 non-pro. Seen it already for about €250 and it really beats the crap out of the 9600pro! It’ll prolly cost you a couple of bucks more, but you’ll save those later when you still enjoy your 9800 after quite some time.

The 9800’s are a bit too much for me at the moment, if they come down in the next few months then i’ll have a look, if not then i’d be happy with just a 9600 pro or 9600XT especially since i’ve only got a GeForce DDR at the moment :o

I’ve decided to go for either the 9600 XT or FX 5700 Ultra, which one should i choose? :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by LegolasUK
I’ve decided to go for either the 9600 XT or FX 5700 Ultra, which one should i choose? :stuck_out_tongue:

Depends on what is important to you, but you might want to check this link for some pretty detailled information…

Thanks for the link Dee-ehn, bit too much detail for my knowledge but it seems as though the 5700 is slightly better overall, depending on the price difference i think i might just go for that.

I’ve been looking around for the fx 5700 ultra, found a few but not sure which manufacturers are good and which ones arent, the ones i’ve seen are:

• Creative 3DBlas. GeForce FX5700 ULTRA
    AGP, 128MB DDR,TV-Out, DVI, Retail

• Gainward GeForce FX5700 ULTRA 128MB DDR2
    AGP, “Ultra/960XP”,VIVO/2xDVI, Retail

• MSI GeForce FX5700 ULTRA 128MB DDR
    AGP, FX5700U-TD128, Tv-Out/DVI, Retail

• Sparkle GeForce FX 5700 Ultra 128MB - Platinum Retail

any recommendations?

Depends on the price. MSI cards are good, loads of bundled software. Sparkle cards ought to be pretty basic. Creative = ok. Gainward… try to avoid… they had serious hardware issues earlier.

Think i’ll go for the MSI then, not a big difference in the prices of all four cards, Sparkle and the MSI r the both the same price, then its tha Gainward and the Creative is the cheapest.

LegolasUK,

If you can, double check your decision regarding the Nvidia. Sometim ago I was shopping for a card and all the suggestions I received and info I found were in favour of ATI. Check here to find some reviews which should make you reconsider: http://www.anandtech.com/video/index.html

Basically what I feel is: 9500>9600, 9700>9500, 9800>9700 and any ATI card from this range is /generally better than what Nvidia has to offer (in the same range) right now. (Yes 9500 is better than 9600).

Good luck with your purchase and honestly hope I didn’t confuse you further.

Originally posted by integspec
[B]LegolasUK,

If you can, double check your decision regarding the Nvidia. Sometim ago I was shopping for a card and all the suggestions I received and info I found were in favour of ATI. Check here to find some reviews which should make you reconsider: http://www.anandtech.com/video/index.html[/B]

Well i’m not sure why i’d change my mind after checking out that link u gave cos according to them:

‘After testing the GeForce FX 5700 Ultra, we have been very pleasantly surprised by NVIDIA. We mentioned last week that the 5700’s new architecture might help to close the gap. In fact, NVIDIA has flipped the tables on ATI in the midrange segment and takes the performance crown with a late round TKO. It was a hard fought battle with many ties, but in the games where the NV36 based card took the performance lead, it lead with the style of a higher end card.’

I’ve read quite a few reviews of the 5700 Ultra and most either say there isnt much to choose between it and the 9600XT or the 5700 Ultra is slightly better, so at the moment i think i’m gonna stick with the FX 5700 Ultra.

i dont trust anything that has the name FX on it.
Nvidia just screwed up big time with the FX cards, they perform bad and need a complete coolingplant to keep them on a reasonable temparature.

1 “review” from anandtech doesnt count against the other 5000 reviews that concludes that the FX card is a waste of money.

and personally i doesnt trust anything that anandtech says since they cant even tell the difference between a northwood and a xeon chipset.
read one article about SMP systems, and i never had to read so much BS on one page, do they even know what their talking about…

Well that ONE review was not something I found, i was replying to integspec’s post where he suggested i read some reviews on that site that would make me reconsider going for the 5700 ultra.

From what i’ve read around the net, the older fx cards (below the 5700) were mostly crap but the newer ones are a lot better and MOST of the reviews i’ve seen where they’ve compared the 5700 Ultra to the 9600XT say that there isnt much to choose between them, seen more though that favour the 5700 Ultra. So these ‘5000 reviews’ you refer to Maelstrom saying the FX cards are a waste of money do not include the 5700 and higher series. I’d like to see any reviews u can find that say the 5700 ultra is a waste of money.

Originally posted by LegolasUK
[B]

From what i’ve read around the net, the older fx cards (below the 5700) were mostly crap but the newer ones are a lot better and MOST of the reviews i’ve seen where they’ve compared the 5700 Ultra to the 9600XT say that there isnt much to choose between them, seen more though that favour the 5700 Ultra. So these ‘5000 reviews’ you refer to Maelstrom saying the FX cards are a waste of money do not include the 5700 and higher series. I’d like to see any reviews u can find that say the 5700 ultra is a waste of money. [/B]

I agree. You seem to be confusing the 5200 Ultra with ALL FX cards. Read any review of the 5700 Ultra… it keeps up with the 9600 Pro and the 9600XT.

Back up your statements with proof, fanboy Maelstrom.

i think the FX 5200 really hurt Nvidia thats why everyone is trashing em.
but if you look at there newer cards it seems that Nvidia has learned there lesson. (hopefully)
even there new Foreware drivers are a huge improvement.
did some tests on a MSI 5600 with Detonator 45.23 and the Forceware 52.16 drivers and the performance increase is pretty good, plus seems that Nvidia has worked out alot if not all the bugs they had with DirectX 9 and there FX cards.
guess we’ll see what the future holds, both ATI and Nvidia make awesome vid-cards, and the new cards out now from both companys are pretty close in performance.

i didn’t look at 5000 reviews as Maelstrom did, but i found more than 15 to 20 reviews/info about the FX 5700, 5900, 5950 compared to the Ati 9600, 9800, and XT models, and the performance comparison between all these cards is pretty close.

just look around, browse some forums and you’ll see what i mean.

most comparisons are made with “dry” benchmarks, those kind of numbers dont intrest me. it about how well the card performs when it comes to gaming.
read some game benchmark comparisons and you’ll see that the FX cards just cant handle Pixel Shader 2.0 and some DX9.0b extensions.

Nvidia even confirmed this by “cheating” with their drivers.

not going to discus this any further. this discussion is also in many other forums so go and take i read there. dont feel like (and dont have the time) to continue this endless discussion over and over again.