90+ Minute CD-R media

Does anyone know if these are ok to use for longterm storage if I stay within 74minutes rather than using the whole 90+ minutes? I have a couple of these and don’t really need them for all the space, just need them for storage. Please let me know if anyone has had any experience with them. Thanks

Everything’s gonna be fine if the media’s okay. :smiley:

90/99 Min. Audio CDs

I’m just worried because I purchased Prodisc ones and I want to put my important pictures on it to store them and I don’t want them going bad on me in a year? How can I tell if the media is good? Does it also depend on my writer? Thanks for your help

Originally posted by cdfreaka

I’m just worried because I purchased Prodisc ones and I want to put my important pictures.
Your concern is understandable.
If I were you I wouldn’t tempt fate w those, Taiyo Yuden’s a much safer choice.

… I want to put my important pictures on it

For really important stuff I highly recommend to use Taiyo Yuden
or Verbatim DataLivePLUS CD-Rs, just to be on the safe side :cool:

If you prefer to use your Prodisc media for it, please check the discs regularly
with CD Speed at www.cdspeed2000.com,
CD Check at www.elpros.si/CDCheck/ and/or
ScanCD at http://scancd.pisem.net/Eng/Description.html.
With a LiteOn you can also use K-Probe.

And store them in a cool and dark place.

Andy :smiley:

Originally posted by WebTech Inc
[B]For really important stuff I highly recommend to use Taiyo Yuden
or Verbatim DataLivePLUS CD-Rs, just to be on the safe side :cool:

If you prefer to use your Prodisc media for it, please check the discs regularly
with CD Speed at www.cdspeed2000.com,
CD Check at www.elpros.si/CDCheck/ and/or
ScanCD at http://scancd.pisem.net/Eng/Description.html.
With a LiteOn you can also use K-Probe.

And store them in a cool and dark place.

Andy :smiley: [/B]

I heard that Taiyo Yuden’s weren’t that good since they use cyanine dye? Is this true? I used to use Fuji discs that were Taiyo Yuden, what do you guys think?

Also, how do you go about checking the quality of the disc/burn?

Rule #1: No one storage medium is secure over time, you ALWAYS need to have “plan B”. (A copy on HD or multiple CD copies.)
Rule #2: Check your archived CDR’s at least every 6 months for errors. (consult the media FAQ)
Rule# 3: Taiyo Yuden, accept no substitutes. :iagree:

I heard that Taiyo Yuden’s weren’t that good since they use cyanine dye?

Each media manufacturer strives to balance the engineering characteristics of the dye to insure greater compatibility with recorders and readers and long archive life.
Cyanine dye and its metal-stabilized derivatives were originally used because the Orange Book Part l referred to the recording characteristics of cyanine-based dyes in establishing CD-Recordable standards .

So, dyes based on cyanine tend to have a wide range of acceptable recording power levels and recording speeds .

The phthalocyanine dye is a newer dye that appears to be less sensitive to exposure to light after recording so that longevity has been improved.

Azo dye has been used in other optical recording media and is now being used in CD-R. The media manufacturers use these different dyes in combination with dye thickness, reflectivity thickness and material and groove structure to fine tune their recording characteristics for a wide range of recording speeds, recording power and media longevity.

Lfetime estimation of any storage medium is a very complex and statistical based process.
The CD-R media manufacturers have performed extensive media longevity studies within these industry defined tests and mathematical modeling techniques with results
claiming longevity from 70 years to over 200 years .
The primary caveat is how you handle and store the media. With proper handling and storage, your CD-Rs will outlive you.

Thanks for all the help, you guys are great! What do you guys think about Kodak CD-Rs, I’ve heard good things about them but never really tried them out? Kodak over Fuji or Fuji over Kodak?

Kodak over Fuji or Fuji over Kodak?
The latter one. AFAIK Kodak quit producing their CDR stuff, if you succeed in finding them, then you’re lucky.
Study the Kodak thread in CD-RW Media Tests.

I’ve got some 3-yo (I believe) 90-min Prodisc media from the 12x times and it’s 100%, without C2, up to now. Top class.