90 min CDRW

vbimport

As a good forum user and not to offend anyone I of course used the SEARCH option before I started asking questions :slight_smile:

Unfortunatly the terms 99, 90, Mb were all not accepted which made it kind of hard to search for 90 min CDRW questions asked earlier in this forum :wink:

And since this is my first post (and probably a question that has been asked before) I thought i’d give it a shot in the newbie forum…

The big question: Are there any CD/RW (NOT CD-R!!) discs that allow a capacity of 90 or 99 minutes (800 or 900 Mb?) :?

I know these exist as recordable discs but I want them as rewritable discs :slight_smile:

Anyone? :bow:

AFAIK, no.

99 minute cdrw??
I havent seen any yet but you never know someone might make one.

I don’t think there are 90/99min CDRW’s YET.

Maybe it’s the same thing as with 700MB CDR’s; at first, there were only 700MB CDR’s and it took some time for the CDRW’s.

HI!

Now … 18 months later … did anyone find some?

Greets!

Weren’t the hi-cap CD-R’s a Sony proprietary thing? You had to have a capable Sony burner and buy special expensive hi-cap media which didn’t save you any money anyway (might be more convenient for VCD’s)? If I’m not mistaken, I’ve seen that hi-cap media for Sony drives available at Fry’s. Back in the early days of DVD+/-R (haven’t checked lately), they used to keep it nearer to the DVD media for I guess obvious reasons. I remember being disgusted at the blank media price and I have not thought about such a kind of drive since.

Off Topic:

Not helping matters is my attempted ban on all Sony products. I bent it to buy my Vaio laptop, and got totally screwed when the thing completely died just outside of the 1yr warranty. I eventually did some research online looking into 3rd-party repair (when I discovered the obscene factory repair price), and later discovered that my exact occurence has happened to thousands of people. The things are defective and Sony refuses to recall them. I found a single forum thread somewhere with hundreds and hundreds of people who had the same experience I did. I now won’t repair it to sell it because the value is close, and what if it happens to the next person. So, it’s a total loss.

If you open Nero CD Speed, and go to ‘extra’ and ‘scandisc’, you will see a number of grayed-out boxes which account for a proportionally larger media volume. I’ve always assumed this was for the purpose of the hi-cap Sony’s.

On a somewhat unrelated note, the new included Plextor tools will allow pretty radical DVD ‘overburns’ or actually compression of DVD tracks, which are supposed to be readable in any decent DVD drive in much the same way as the Sony thing. I don’t know if these tools extend to CD burning, but I would like to know! It is disappointing to see all the bad general hi-speed DVD burn results on the new PX-716A; I had previously been planning on getting one. I guess now many are waiting to see how the nec 3520A goes, and if that bombs, there will be an uptick in nec 3500A sales!

I am certainly no expert on the Sony hi-cap CD-R stuff, and only replied because no one else with more knowledge has done so after such a long time. Corrections and more info are welcome. Hopefully I’m not out of my tree here.

Off Topic:

And oh, in case you’re wondering: why did I even initially have a personal ban on buying Sony products, even before buying the Vaio? Well, because they break, of course! The fact that they take awesome new technologies and completely flub them up by finding a way to make them crappy and proprietary and expensive did not play into that ban.

An example of Sony ruining and setting back a technology was with the MiniDisc.  That was the first release of Magneto-Optical technology on the consumer level, something we know in today's much different incarnation as RW or ReWritable optical drives.  They purposely made the MiniDisc to NOT be reverse-compatible with CD's, then made the disc so tiny that it only contained one or two hundred megabytes, with just a little rim of writable media surrounding the spindle hole.  Think around the size of those 3" mini-CD's, but I think this was even smaller at only 2.5".  They must have realized there wasn't enough data on there to usefully store music, so they invented a horrible proprietary compression technology called ATRAC, when superior codecs were available (and no codec was even needed--they could have matched CD format--but they had a fetish with 'small').  
Actually, that is indirectly ON-topic because this is an optical drive forum.  The whole Sony MiniDisc debacle set back ReWritable Audio CD's and decks LITERALLY by a decade.  It finally happened, but was quickly overwhelmed by CD-RW drives (too little too late).  

And MD's, purposely designed to have crappy sound (they never claimed "CD quality sound, nor could they) to somehow intentionally market to consumers, ironically ended up being used primarily by radio stations to replace "Cart" systems (like a mono 1-track form of 8-track cassettes) for commercials (where MD was nevertheless a huge step up in sound quality and convenience).  I.e. MD was intentionally created as to have it NOT be appropriate for professional recorders--Sony didn't want to cut into the DAT market (another good technology destroyed by idiots--expensive/sensitive rotating head like VHS?!), which itself also unthinkable was originally designed to be a consumer-only solution, but was "too good", not to mention too expensive ($600-$1200 for a portable recorder?!).  

[OT]  The idiots at Sony oughta be slapped upside the head.  They make beautiful LCD displays, but that doesn't satisfy my resentment for them over so many devices I've bought of theirs over the years, literally none of which are still in service.  I have a fantasy of being able to salvage the 15" LCD from my Vaio laptop & convert it to an XGA monitor, but I have no idea how to do this.  I can't even sell the proprietary DVD-ROM drive because it died before the thing even went out of warranty, and I didn't send it in because they would have reloaded that ridiculously-formatted OS image, erasing my data. They do that partially to discourage people like me--they won't even talk to you unless you erase your drive. I couldn't remove the incredibly awful, noisy fujitsu HDD because they used overtightened jewler's screws, not regular-sized screws, so tight I could not get them undone with my jewler's screwdrivers and even ended up stripping a few.  A gunsmith friend finally liberated it, after the total death when there was nothing to lose, and I got my data.  Obviously, I am not happy...  [/OT]