8x Problems

I’ve just purchased a 107D writer, have updated firmware to 1.13. Should I be able to burn at 8x with this firmware on any disc?

I currently have 2 different media types & both will only burn at 4x.

DATASAFE 4x DVD-r (RITEKG04)
DATAWRITE 4x DVD-r (Princo)

Yes, most 8x certified discs should work at 8x, some examples:

Mitsubishi/Verbatim 8x DVD+R/DVD-R
Daxon 8x DVD+R
Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R/DVD-R
CMC 8x DVD+R (maybe DVD-R as well?)
Ricoh 8x DVD+R
TDK 8x DVD-R

And probably Maxell 8x DVD-R and DVD+R.

No 4x discs will work at 8x. Also AML 002 8x DVD+R and Ritek R03 8x DVD+R only works at 4x.

So am I right in that 4x media will only burn at 8x with an unoffical firmware?

Originally posted by Arnie70
So am I right in that 4x media will only burn at 8x with an unoffical firmware?

Yes. And results at 8x with the hacked firmware depends on the disc quality as well.

Notice: Using the unofficial firmware voids the warranty of the drive.

there are some issues with using dvd+r media right now

sometimes, you won’t be able to use it on any kinds of dvd player except for 107d or a07 itself

When you say that the unofficial firmware voids the warranty… can’t you just flash it back to official firmware before reporting any problems? I mean… is there any way for them to tell it had the hacked stuff on there once you flash it back?

as far as i know, they can figure that out by looking at a log information on your recorder

but who knows if they’re just messing with us…:rolleyes:

Originally posted by emptyowe
When you say that the unofficial firmware voids the warranty… can’t you just flash it back to official firmware before reporting any problems? I mean… is there any way for them to tell it had the hacked stuff on there once you flash it back?

I have some insight in Lite-On drives at least and I can’t say all I know - but I could say that the drives contains and stores more information than most of us know of…

Beside that it’s about ethics and morale. Anyone that returns a piece of hardware that have been messed with (overclocked, firmware hacked or elsewise modified) will loose my respect at least.