8x or 16x media for burning at 8x on 1650?

vbimport

I have my DW1650 in an external USB enclosure and I cannot burn at faster than 8x because the USB connection cannot keep up with it. At least I believe this is the case because I can never read a DVD at faster than 9x!

Newegg seems to have quite a few free shippings on media this weekend (and the DW1650 too :sad: ) and I want to take advantage to stack up on media. These are the 2 options I came up with:

1- Verbatim 8x DVD-R Shiny : reviews say they are MCC 02RG20, made in Singapore (according to pic)

2- Verbatim 16x DVD-R Shiny : no idea about media code. made in Taiwan (according to pic)

So which would be better for the DW1650? Does burning a 16x DVD-R @ 8x make any difference?

I’d personally recommend the 16X Verbatim. These will be MCC0[B]3[/B]RG20 and burn well at 8X. I have no scans saved but I will post one later as I have a few backups to do.

I’ve not personally used the 8X dash-R but have heard that +R 8X and both 16X varieties generally give better results. As always though YMMV. :slight_smile:

Hi :slight_smile:
If you can get TY 8x media, it’s better than MCC 8x just. This will also accomadate 12x writng if/when external f/w is made available.
The 16x Verbatim is MCC 03RG20. This is excellent media & depending on cost may be the best option.(Even though your unlikely to achieve this 16x with any good quality. This too will perform very well @ 12x if/when ext f/w etc). It will gave great results @ 8x too.

Here’s the scan.

Verbatim branded MCC03RG20 (CMC)
Burned @ 8X
WOPC SB OS all OFF

Notice the close grouping of PIFs and increased PIE in the last GB.
Jitter also gradually increases with the same patern as the PIE.

Despite these minor faults the disc is perfectly readable in both the BenQ, a LiteOn 165P6S and a Sony DVD-ROM (DDU1615) with a smooth TRT in all.

Good advice by [B]zebadee[/B]; if an external firmware does crop up then you have the versatility to burn at 12X too :iagree: :smiley:

trent25, since you’re in the US, this week OfficeMax offers Verbatims for sale. Take a look at ripit weekly post here http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=178314 in the CD Freaks Bargain Basement forum.

Both Verbatim 16x -R and +R is good @8x but I prefer +R though.

If you really want to try 16X media Rima has the 16X+ Yuden000-T03-000 for sale now. I think they just surfaced today.