8x DVD+RW (DL)

vbimport

Is that a kind of joke or late April fools?

Lite-On is ready to release an 8x DVD+RW (DL) drive? DL-disc (9GB) ready in about 15 minutes?

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9474

Regards,
cddvduser

I am:

a) Going to believe it when I see it

b) Highly sceptical of the dual layer performance thus far…

c) Looking forward to see some real world results with the drive…

Believe it, the hardware is already in the marketplace. :wink:

Oh ya, am completely aware of that…

However, I am warey of the implementation and the performance of the drives early on in the picture…

For one, the actual methodology used to write dual layer seems quite…well…cluggy…

Having to write equal portions of data to each layer to make the disc “data symetrical” is cluggy…

Also, the fact that we can write one layer at high speeds and another layer at much lower speeds is a little bit of a turn off.

Don’t get me wrong…I love the idea of having >4.7GB on a disc, but, I think it might be rough around the edges to begin with.

Yeah, it will be ugly. Nevermind, sign me up!

Well, untill the media is available at $2 each, it’s not even a consideration beyond just playing around. I don’t have much trouble with the idea of splitting things between 2 cheaper discs.

Yah…good call. Unless people have definitive needs for the gear, it will be completely and totally out of the normal human’s price range to actually write the media…

Time, time, time…

The only reason I want DL media is to back up DVD-9 movies. My current process with IFOEdit, Titleset Blanker, and DVDShrink does a pretty good job on most movies, but any kind of shrinking at all is noticable on the big screen.

I want DL media is to back up DVD-9 movies

Well, for the forseeable future, it’ll be cheaper to buy the movie than to back it up.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Well, for the forseeable future, it’ll be cheaper to buy the movie than to back it up.

Do you really think the DL blanks are going to cost $12-$30 each? I doubt that very much. Besides, code65536 will come up with a perl script to dual-layer-hack our media. :stuck_out_tongue: (For those without a sense of humor, I am joking about that hack.)

I remember my first batch of 4X CD-R media. It was KAO brand. I bought 100 discs for $329, which was an outstanding deal at the time. The Yamaha 4X burner (first generation) I had sold for around US$1600 at the time, but I got it for free as a review sample. And of course, burn-on-the-fly almost never worked due to slow PC’s, slow drives, small buffers, and no smart-burn. Things could be worse! :smiley:

Do you really think the DL blanks are going to cost $12-$30 each?

Yes, I do. At least for the near future. MCC is the only maker of the media, no Taiwan makers have even started to plan the new production lines required. DL media requires a completely new production line, new equipment, etc.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Yes, I do. At least for the near future. MCC is the only maker of the media, no Taiwan makers have even started to plan the new production lines required. DL media requires a completely new production line, new equipment, etc.

whistles That’s quite a bit more than what others are estimating. But I guess it might make sense with them admitting to the fact that there’s going to be a supply shortage for a few months as they direct their production towards bundled discs.

I think the media companies have been pushed past their limits with DVD media, they are not able to recover the costs of upgrades before the next media type is introduced. Imagine if General Motors had to introduce a new model line every 4 months. Phillips and MCC will be the only makers for this year in any case. And they too are not going to make it a priority.
We shall see…I could be wrong, but $5-10 per discs is certainly the minimum you will see, and that’s very optimistic.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see the very first batches of dual layer media available selling for $50 US a disc. Then after a month or two as rdgrimes said down to $10 US until more and more manufacturers get in the game to drive down prices through competition. Think about it, how long have 8x drives been around for now? It’s still hard somewhat hard (and expensive) to track down 8x rated media.

I’m curious now… I wasn’t into DVD burning when the very first burners came on the market… to anyone who was, how much were 1x single layer discs the first few months?

I’m still not convinced that all the media makers will get behind DL. HD-DVD and blue-ray technology will make DL obsolete very soon, so some of them may focus on faster DVDR media then switch to the new technology. I’m glad I’m not responsible for making those kinds of decisions for a multi-billion dollar company.

But AFAIK, blue-ray/HD-DVD will be made on existing production lines, while DL cannot, so that just might influence the decision.

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]It wouldn’t surprise me to see the very first batches of dual layer media available selling for $50 US a disc. Then after a month or two as rdgrimes said down to $10 US until more and more manufacturers get in the game to drive down prices through competition. Think about it, how long have 8x drives been around for now? It’s still hard somewhat hard (and expensive) to track down 8x rated media.

I’m curious now… I wasn’t into DVD burning when the very first burners came on the market… to anyone who was, how much were 1x single layer discs the first few months? [/B]

50?!?!?!

Chances are, you won’t be able to find them at all for the first month or so. But I have trouble imagining the disc costing half as much as a burner. Maybe I should wager a DL disc that the price won’t hit 50 USD. :wink: j/k

I disagree that Blu-Ray or any other competing technology will make recordable DL irrelevant – at least not for five years to a decade. There is a massive installed base of DVD players out there. So much so that places like Blockbuster have removed VHS from some of their stores. DVD movie piracy will drive the market, as will folks wanting to fit bigger home movies onto a single disc.

People wanting to store their data, HDTV, etc., will migrate to the new technology first. I think it’s going to be a long time before the dust settles on consumer HDTV recording formats.

Also, DVD will continue to have appeal after HD formats come out. You can bet that the HD formats won’t use anything nearly as weak as CSS for content protection. It might be a long time before it’s circumvented.

You are not the only one who thinks that dual layer might not be the success it could have been, as a result of other impending technologies Grimey…

I also have a certain sense of scepticism about it too…

Time will tell. Hopefully, I am wrong.

Originally posted by Ssseth
I’m curious now… I wasn’t into DVD burning when the very first burners came on the market… to anyone who was, how much were 1x single layer discs the first few months?

I wasn’t in the market then either, but I do remember generic (well, K-Hypermedia) DVD-R blanks selling for $19.99 each at Micro Center. By the time I got my DVR-104 that was the price for a 10 pack of the same media.

Originally posted by dentman42
generic DVD-R blanks selling for $19.99 each at Micro Center

:eek: