8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 5x DVD-RAM

5x DVD-RAM is already here, first with Hitachi-LG’s GSA-4120B and later with Panasonic SW-9573 probably to be released to retail in August. DVD-RW is only at 2x and 4x. DVD+RW was the last to come but its entry speed was 2.4x and soon upgraded to 4x. 8x DVD+RW was mentioned from time to time but no drive supports 8x DVD+RW yet. The following PC World article has some information on this.

http://www.pcworld.com/resource/printable/article/0,aid,116438,00.asp

Quote from PC World:

The DVD+RW Alliance contends the technology can handle 5X now and, soon, faster speeds.

“We believe we have a solid foundation to surpass 5X,” says John Main, a Hewlett-Packard integration architect.

Most observers expect the next generation of +RW/-RW drives and media to manage 8X. Toshiba expects 8X drives to become available this summer, says Tom McGoldrick, director of support engineering.

“Technical specs for DVD-RW 6X and 8X are now being discussed,” notes H. Irie, DVD Forum secretariat. “We expect that 6X DVD-RW will be introduced first, probably this autumn.”

There is also an article about 16x DVD+R, 8x DVD+RW, and 8x DVD+R DL on DigiTimes website.

The DVD+RW Alliance held a technology symposium in Taipei for the first time on June 4, explaining its patent licensing and product certification process for 16x DVD+R, 8x DVD+RW and 8x DVD DL (single-sided double-layer) drives/burners and discs, as well as introducing its anti-piracy technology, Vidi.

Eight members of the DVD+RW Alliance, including Philips, Ricoh, Sony and Hewlett Packard (HP), had representatives participating in the symposium.

Vidi, jointly developed by Philips and Hewlett Packard (HP), is a new copy protection technology to protect digital recordings of digital broadcasts and cable TV according to Broadcast Flag rules adopted by the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The DVD+RW Alliance hopes to obtain FCC approval for Vidi and launch the technology as soon as 2005.

For the PC market, the DVD+RW Alliance has the upper hand on DVD Forum (promoting DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM formats). However, having already adopted CPRM (content protection for recordable media) anti-piracy technology, DVD Forum has dominated the consumer electronics (CE) market.

Though the article says “8x DVD DL” instead of 8x DVD+R DL, the information is from the DVD+RW Alliance so I guessed it really was 8x DVD+R DL. Since even common pre-recorded DVD-Video Dual Layer discs cannot be read at full 8x speed, 8x DVD+R DL writing is going to be more like 5x or 6x at the most.

Without some kind of support and cooperation from Taiwanese, Chinese, and South Korean media manufacturers, DVD-RAM 5x will also have a hard time in attracting more end users, resulting in one more vaporware despite what the PC World article said. I have zero hope for 6x DVD-RW and 8x DVD-RW regardless they will ever appear or not.

Also check out this article from AnandTech: Your DVD Burner is absolete, LOL. :stuck_out_tongue:

having recently experienced the benefits of DVD-RAM first-hand, I’ll be keeping an eye out for the faster drives. 3x (1.5x, really) is slow, but it’s a great format. 5x sounds better, and Maxell’s talk of 16x is tempting. I wonder about reliability of the new chemistry Maxell talks about, tho…

Thank you. Ricoh needs better partners perhaps.

Single-page view: http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.html?i=2078

it looks as if they already are available. at least the non-cartridge version. www.dfwdepot.com. i haven’t seen anyone advertising the sw-9573 yet. i’m patiently waiting for the 9573 as i use nothing but the cartridge dvd-ram media in my work

What’s available at the link? I cannot find any Panasonic 5x DVD-RAM writer there.

I’ve heard the Panasonic SW-9573-C will not be available until at least early Q4 or later. However the SW-9583-C (non-cartridge version) is already being advertised online to be available this week sometime. (Froogle.com) I prefer the non-cartridge myself.

18,572 Yen for LF-M721JD at Bless.

http://panasonic.jp/p3/multi/m621/index.html

http://www.bless.co.jp/price/index_3700.html

much rather find one in the states as well as oem instead of retail. i hate bothering with region hacks and paying too much for a fancy box and a brand name. thanks anywho.