8X DVD Burning & computer specs needed

i didn’t notice this before, just now i read it:
8X DVD recording writes at 10,800 MB/s, it needs a good fast computer,
and most CD & DVD writers has only 2MB cache… which is about 0.2 sec of cached data…

can the computer provide this ammount of data without going to buffer-underrun techniques? the computer can’t be used while burning, listening to music will kill the DVD?

with my current CD-R Teac 4X (old :bigsmile: one), it has 2MB cache which can last for 3.n seconds of cached data, and i can do simple things while burning (surf web, listen to mp3, read email)…

any tips on this for DVD-+RW newbies…

The buffer is used only to smooth out irregularities. It can’t prevent a buffer underrun, not with the kinds of speeds we’re talking about. Even the over-marketed 8 MB buffers won’t do anything for you.

1/ Most modern systems can cope with such requirements.

2/ Buffer underrun protection is great. I’ve had a burn once (made a mistake and burned it from my slow hard drive) where I had literally dozens of buffer underruns. The burn still turned out just fine.

3/ Modern burning software also maintain a buffer of their own. I have Nero set to give me a 128 MB buffer in the system RAM, which does wonders in preventing buffer underruns.

but while burning, can you use the computer for light work?

even with RAM buffer, the harddisk need to read most of the time more than 10MB/s to fill the ram buffer…
when you burn DVD’s, how does the HD behave? read always?
and i saw somewhere that you need to disable hd temp calibration thing… what is it?

i’m asking many questions, because i am new in this sector (DVD), and i want my first DVD drive to be a good/working one.

Thanks

Yes. I often browse the web or do some coding while I burn. As long as I avoid websites with Java applets (not the applets themselves, but the long and tedious loading process of the overbloated plugin).

even with RAM buffer, the harddisk need to read most of the time more than 10MB/s to fill the ram buffer…

Yes. The buffer can’t solve the problem of the HDD being too slow. It just solves the problem of you doing something taxing that makes the HDD temporarily slow.

when you burn DVD’s, how does the HD behave? read always?
and i saw somewhere that you need to disable hd temp calibration thing… what is it?

My HDD is always reading. My 7200 RPM drive with 8 MB cache copes without any problems. My 5400 RPM drive with 2 MB cache gives me problems. I don’t know anything about HD temp calibration (what is it?)… BTW, my system isn’t all that great, either… just 1.4 GHz and 384 MB of old PC100 memory… DVD burning isn’t that demanding on the system–in my personal experience, it’s the HDD that seems to be the big limiting element.

@code65536
Ah, good, your computer is like mine, i have:
1333 Athlon on A7V133
384 MB RAM PC133
80GB Western Digital HD - 7200 RPM - 2MB Cache

so, my system is enough :slight_smile:

I can top that, I have a friend who connected his USB 2.0 DVD burner to a USB 1.1 port and burned a DVD which took two hours, were talking 1/2X here. I told him; You can’t do that! He replied that it played just fine. Were talking about the writer being in constant thrashing, from buffer underruns, but as he said “it played just fine.” For the rest of you; don’t try this at home; the buffer underrun feature was almost certainly not designed for continuous service.