8x Burning

Is there a special firmware to upgrade to, which will enable me to burn DVD+R are 8x? I am currently using TDK 4x disks… and every program I’ve tried does not allow 8x burning. Is it the firmware, or the media…?

No special firmware, you just need the right discs.

Taiyo Yuden 4x certified DVD+R will burn very well at 8x with the 2500A. They are excellent quality discs though, so be prepared to pay excellent quality media prices.

I would suggest RICOHJPNR01, they are readily available, reasonably priced, and burn very well at 6x with your 2500A.

If you have the NEC ND2500A like I do , I have been told by other in this forum that if you buy quality 8x media it will burn at 8x speed. And the drive detects whether you have 4x or 8x media. I am in the same boat as you and haven’t tried anything but 4x on mine. I use Ritek RIDATA 4x +R, TDK 4x +R,and MEMOREX 4x +R media with DVD XCOPY PLATINUM and havent had a single coaster yet. I hop the same stays true when I go up to 8x +R’s. :bigsmile:

I think you’ve misunderstood something, irocdaparty. The drive can burn good quality 4x discs at 8x. Cheaper 4x media can only be burned at 4x, but e.g. Taiyo Yuden 4x DVD-R discs can indeed be burned at 8x.
I don’t really know about DVD+Rs 'cause I only use -R discs, but at least I haven’t seen a single 8x certified media sold anywhere yet.

Datasafe Branded 8x+R media (Ritek R03) are available in the UK but only burn at 4x with the current firmware

So what dictates the write speed if you have high quality media that is 4x? the drive right?

Originally posted by irocdaparty
So what dictates the write speed if you have high quality media that is 4x? the drive right?

Yep, the firmware is made so it allows a few 4x medias at 8x speed.

Only 8x burn i ever saw with this drive is with a plextor +R i got with that drive, all my other media …TDK/Arita/Memorex/Imation/ all burn at 6x, there all Ricoh jpnr01 media…but that’s good enough because they all work!!, unlike my plex 708a which burn just about anything at 8x and has play back problems…
I dont want to spend top dollar to burn 1 min faster…if that, this drive has better luck burning -R at 8x then +R.

Originally posted by Budman62
unlike my plex 708a which burn just about anything at 8x and has play back problems…

That’s exactly why the NEC only burns good quality media at 8x. :wink:

Discs with MID codes listed below all burn at 8X:

DVD+R:
YUDEN000T01 (second revision)
RICOHJPNR02

DVD-R
TYG01
MCC01RG20

Cheers,
Peter

So I am to understand with the right firmware hacks, Nero will let me change the speed of certain 4x media, to 8x? Or is there a software hack needed as well?

I have the hp 420i which apparently is same as 2500A but with bitsetting support. I sent the firmware of mine in to tdb guys because they wanted it for that I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

The only thing needed is a firmware hack.
Herrie seems to be the man for importing write strategies and allowing higher burn speeds on media.
Hopefully he will release a ‘patched firmware’ with better media support for the 2500A. :bigsmile:

I just tried a Verbatim digital movie -R media. They burn at 4x until 20% then 6.2 and at 50% 8x for rest of disk. Also the lead in took over 1 minute. Here is disk info taken form DVD Decryptor:
_NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A 1.06
Current Profile: DVD-R
Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 2,297,888
Free Space: 4,706,074,624 bytes
Free Time: 510:40:38 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x
Pre-recorded Information:
Manufacturer ID: MCC 01RG20

My conlusion is Maxell, Imation and TDK 4x +R disk are best for me since they burn at 6.2x and lead in is only 15 to 20 seconds and total burn time is only 45 seconds longer for a 4.4gig. disk.

Bill

My conlusion is Maxell, Imation and TDK 4x +R disk are best for me
Don’t get to attached to certain brand names - especially Imation and TDK are subject to change the physical media inside the box any time. What I mean is that you should pay attention to the Manufacturer ID (in short MID) like MCC01RG20 and TYG01, not whether it is being branded by TDK or Imation (or Maxell for that matter). Even Verbatim 4X DVD-R can be both MCC01RG20 and TYG01. Just my two cents.

Shopping by MID instead of brandnames can be difficult. However most good sites list MID’s of the media being sold - like www.nierle.de

Cheers,
Peter