8tb Seagate Desktop Drive

vbimport

Well, I plunked the cash down and got a 8tb Seagate and started tranfering my 3tb to the 8tb of which takes the place of 3-3tb drivers and save HDD storage in my Full Tower lessening the weight of it. whewww… I did read the NewEgg reviews of how some said it was bad but right on the HDD sticker it did said Seagate Archival Drive not a Boot/Main Drive that some were making it do. Also Putting those as RAID main drive isn’t what this drive was made for SSD of 1tb would be better for this RAID. If this holds up I got 3 more 8tb in the future coming to reduce my HDD weight and save on Space. Mine is the v2 8tb Seagate drive.

Cool. :wink: I first saw it over at Guru3D and that got me wondering about doing something likewise. Since my needs are smaller and it’d be for running Linux, I’m considering the 500 GB model. Main concern is whether a HD connected USB 2.0 will result in lag when running programs and possibly made worse by it not using the PSU but just USB power alone.

[QUOTE=symphonic100;2771392]Cool. :wink: I first saw it over at Guru3D and that got me wondering about doing something likewise. Since my needs are smaller and it’d be for running Linux, I’m considering the 500 GB model. Main concern is whether a HD connected USB 2.0 will result in lag when running programs and possibly made worse by it not using the PSU but just USB power alone.[/QUOTE]
If it isn’t the main drive I think you should be fine. I wouldn’t use it for main or boot drive though as it states on the sticker “Archive drive” as their disclaimer.

^:iagree: I have v1 of this drive and it works as it should as stand alone storage only. I am quite happy with it and as you say… great size :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2771447]If it isn’t the main drive I think you should be fine. I wouldn’t use it for main or boot drive though as it states on the sticker “Archive drive” as their disclaimer.[/QUOTE]

There’s conflicting advice about running an OS on an external HD. Most suggest that the disadvantage is it can be laggy. Others report problems with random disconnections or unreliably being recognized upon powering up. Hmmm. :frowning:

[QUOTE=symphonic100;2771475]There’s conflicting advice about running an OS on an external HD. Most suggest that the disadvantage is it can be laggy. Others report problems with random disconnections or unreliably being recognized upon powering up. Hmmm. :([/QUOTE]
You can’t do that since the Main O/S wants a C:\ as the main drive and external drives don’t come as C:. It does lag since your running at USB speed and that is limited in the bandwidth. The reason it doesn’t work is the because of the way the O/S is written for Security and preventing unauthorized access to a system or network they aren’t allowed access to. So the problem isn’t just that the ext HDD doesn’t work there are more deeper reasons as to why it won’t as well. People are told this but seems to have selective memory in forgetting this part.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2771518]You can’t do that since the Main O/S wants a C:\ as the main drive and external drives don’t come as C:. It does lag since your running at USB speed and that is limited in the bandwidth. The reason it doesn’t work is the because of the way the O/S is written for Security and preventing unauthorized access to a system or network they aren’t allowed access to. So the problem isn’t just that the ext HDD doesn’t work there are more deeper reasons as to why it won’t as well. People are told this but seems to have selective memory in forgetting this part.[/QUOTE]

Well, security is less an issue with Linux. I don’t like the idea of wasting a SATA drive on a USB connection so the best bet is to stick w/my current setup and keep the 2nd drive inside the case and connected via SATA. :iagree: Thanks.

[QUOTE=symphonic100;2771524]Well, security is less an issue with Linux. I don’t like the idea of wasting a SATA drive on a USB connection so the best bet is to stick w/my current setup and keep the 2nd drive inside the case and connected via SATA. :iagree: Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I have to say, running an OS drive over USB may not be so bad. For my quite old Mac laptop, I have an old image of my OS X installation (10.6), and a clean installation of OS X (10.9) installed to an older LaCie/Seagate 2 TB USB 2.0 drive. While it’s not a speed demon, I find it to be quite usable.

But since you have the dedicated space for an internal drive, I can see how that would be preferred. :iagree:

[QUOTE=Albert;2771525]I have to say, running an OS drive over USB may not be so bad. For my quite old Mac laptop, I have an old image of my OS X installation (10.6), and a clean installation of OS X (10.9) installed to an older LaCie/Seagate 2 TB USB 2.0 drive. While it’s not a speed demon, I find it to be quite usable.

But since you have the dedicated space for an internal drive, I can see how that would be preferred. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

As I’ve read, and I’ve run Linux Mint off of a Persistent jumpdrive copy. But running it off of an external SATA drive would be the easiest option to getting it out of the internal drive cage and spinning when I’m using Windows.