8mm tape to DVD

vbimport

Greetings:

I’ve been given an 8mm tape that my sister-in-law wants me to burn to a DVD. No problem, I’ve a camcorder that can play-back an 8mm tape and can hook-up to my DVD player/recorder.

To test my connection, I used one of my tapes; picture displayed on TV no problem. However, upon playing the tape given me, nothing displays, even after fast-forwarding thru the entire tape. She assures me see watched part of the tape so there was something on it.

The tape was mailed to me; she’s sure she put the correct tape in the mail.

I inquried about what type camcorder she recorded with; it was a digial Sony Handycam. I played her tape on a 13-year old GE analog camcorder.

Question: Is this the problem? Can my old camcorder not play this digital format?

Thanks in advance for any and all guidance on this.

Ed in Tampa

Question: Is this the problem? Can my old camcorder not play this digital format?

Probably. The digital camcorder can play analog, but not the other way.

I didn’t even know about 8mm tape.I have some old 8mm film that my dad shot.This was done with a motion camera.I would love to put all of those on disc but I bet there no easy or inexpensive way to do it.
I no longer have a working projector to view them & wouldn’t much anyway because the film is old & fragile.
No audio to worry about on this film

[QUOTE=cholla;2049449]I didn’t even know about 8mm tape.I have some old 8mm film that my dad shot.This was done with a motion camera.I would love to put all of those on disc but I bet there no easy or inexpensive way to do it.
I no longer have a working projector to view them & wouldn’t much anyway because the film is old & fragile.
No audio to worry about on this film[/QUOTE]

I am afraid you will need a digital scanner for motion picture.
Other way would be to copy them with digital camera off of the screen, people do this for movies to get them first :rolleyes:, but since you do not have a projector, than that is out too.

A digital scanner is most likely the best bet.

OlyTeddy:

I’m wondering also, if I might have somehow damaged the digially recorded content by playing it on an analog camcorder. I’ll see if I can find a friend with such type digital camcorder…or find a shop that can convert it.

For this one-time request…I’ll not be dropping any coins for additional hardware, but thank you all for the suggestions.

Ed