8cm dvd-r gamecube backup's?

vbimport

Whats the best media to pickup in the UK for using to backup GC games? I want it to be 8cm preferably.

I’ve used the search function and it seems, ritek g04 was good but degrades fast now, verbatim mmc is hit and miss on whether or not the GC will read and MXL RG01 are good but pretty rare to get?

Just try some of all media on your GC to find out :wink:
Even RITEK G04 should not be a problem if you check its condition frequently and reburn when needed, if you don’t backup irreplaceable data :smiley:

I am using an lg-4167 as well, will this burn these OK?

I’m thinking of picking up the ritek g04 first and testing them, they ‘seem’ to be the most compatable.

Should be ok.

im probably going to buy a samsung 183L soon as well, is this OK as well?

I don’t like Samsung much, but you might get more help on that in the Optical Drives forums. :slight_smile:

Ok cool. Actually do you think it’d be a better idea to get the case that allows full size dvd-r’s to be used? Because I’ve got loads of verbatim dvd-r’s that I have read here are good to use and cheaper too.

I personally dont like those case’s. The GC can be very picky with media, about the only disc that works in atleast 95% on GC’s are G04’s. I use Traxdata branded G04’s im lucky enough though to have a GC that also reads Mini Verbs.

What you could do is use G04 mini’s assuming they work in yours but keep a backup on the game on a 12cm disc(ty or verbs are good). You can get about 3 GC backup iso’s on one dvdr.

I would also sugguest using a pioneer drive for GC games if you have one.

Any reason as to why you dislike them mate?

Any particular pioneer drive?

I’ll pickup some g04’s and see what happens, they are 10 for £3.99 traxdata g04, is this good?

I just dont really like the look of them no other reason. Na any pioneer, ive used a A05, 109, 111, and 111D all worked great. Yeah that price is what they have them for on digitalpromo, i personally got the ones in slimline cases but thats down to you.

have you bought any from there recently and how are they fairing? i.e. degrading or not?

do you think I should buy more than 1 pack?

MMMMMM, well i have bought any for some time. Last time i bought some i stocked up, mmmmm not sure about degrading with them to be onest thats why i suggested …

“What you could do is use G04 mini’s assuming they work in yours but keep a backup on the game on a 12cm disc(ty or verbs are good). You can get about 3 GC backup iso’s on one dvdr.”

Just to be on the safe side.

yeah I’ll keep backups elsewhere of the games I want to keep most.

How are you backing up gamecube game’s?

with the low price of regular discs nowadays you could just cut them down to size

If that actually worked well everybody would be doing that… :frowning:
I remember one member from Europe (Italy?) trying to make 8 cm CD-R out of normal CD-R (for his Mavica) and went through hell of a lot of trouble :eek:

I wouldn’t recommend it. You would be butchering some high-precision media with no chance of making anything useful.

You are referring to this thread I think:

Butchering 120mm CDRs into 80mm ones