8701 philils wont read blank dvd

I have a Philips 8701 dvd±rw. Ive had it for awhile, but this is the first time I have ever tried to burn a dvd. I just want to back up my photos but when I stick in a blank dvd-r disc it doesnt recognize it. It will see a Blank cd but not a blank DVD. I read all the stuff about flashing, but that might as well be another language. Cant find anything on Dells website or Philips website.

I had to redo my operating system awhile back, and maybe I didnt reinstall everything I need. It does play DVDs you rent.

I would prefer not to go buy another brand/type of blank dvds, if its the dvd drive and not the blank dvd.

I tried search this forum, but it did seem to have the anser I need.

TY

It is normal in Winxp for the drive to show up as a CD drive. Just a qwirk in windows.
However, you cannot read a blank dvd. Windows XP has no native dvd writing or reading apps. You have to use an external app like Nero or Sonic.

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2306980]It is normal in Winxp for the drive to show up as a CD drive. Just a qwirk in windows.
However, you cannot read a blank dvd. Windows XP has no native dvd writing or reading apps. You have to use an external app like Nero or Sonic.[/QUOTE]

Well, I will give it a try, and thank you in advance. I will come back and let you know :slight_smile:

Thanks

BTW, no drive “can read” a [B]blank media[/B]…

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2306980]It is normal in Winxp for the drive to show up as a CD drive. Just a qwirk in windows.
However, you cannot read a blank dvd. Windows XP has no native dvd writing or reading apps. You have to use an external app like Nero or Sonic.[/QUOTE]

It worked like a champ. Thanks again. found the software that came with the computer. Installed it. Then I had to find the drivers to make it compatible with XP. After I did all that is burn to the DVD.

Thanks

You are very welcome!