851s problem with Imation DVD-RWs

vbimport

Hi all,

This afternoon I bought some Imation DVD-RW discs to use with my new 851s writer.
However, I haven’t been able to do much with them. First, I did a test burn; I used Nero to transfer about 1GB of data to a disc. That worked. I then used Nero’s “Erase Rewriteable” function to clear the disc and that’s when the problems started. Now my drive doesn’t recognise the disc at all anymore.
I thought the disc was faulty somehow and tried again with another disc. Same thing.
I read that the last DirectCD works with DVD-RWs. I tried to format a disc with it. It finished after about an hour with an error message. The disc is now effectively dead too.
I can’t use these discs in any program anymore (not even in Explorer) because the drive’s light keeps flashing and I hear unorthodox noises all the time.
Any idea what’s wrong ? Does the 851s hate Imation discs ?
Thanks for any input on this !

Try doing a full erase with DVDInfoPro and see if that works.
If not, it wouldn’t be the first time a disc was toasted during a format procedure. I always use DVDInfoPro to start with and haven’t had any problems myself yet.

Originally posted by Ssseth
Try doing a full erase with DVDInfoPro and see if that works.
If not, it wouldn’t be the first time a disc was toasted during a format procedure. I always use DVDInfoPro to start with and haven’t had any problems myself yet.

For some reason I get better compatibility with RecordNow Max 4.5 when erasing/formating DVD RWs.

:smiley:

Pssst, pinto2 works for RecordNow

Just joking :stuck_out_tongue: I really have been pleased with RN myself as well :bigsmile:

Thanks for the replies, guys. It’s really appeciated.
I can’t erase/format the used discs with any program, as the drive won’t read them anymore… :frowning:
I’m going to try with a fresh disc and DVDInfoPro now. Ssseth, you say you always start with that program… Which format option(s) do you use, please ?

Just “Full format” checked (in DVDInfoPro).

Originally posted by Ssseth
Just “Full format” checked (in DVDInfoPro).

That seems to have worked. Many thanks for your assistance ! :cool: