851S or 812s?

I will purchase one of these - any suggestions?

If the 812S is at least equal to the 851S
in every respect, then, getting 8X capabilities
for -R is worth it to me. But, if the 812S
is not as good as the 851S in some way
or another, please indicate that so I
can evaluate.

Thanks,

Littleberry

There are not many results yet bases on the 812S. Also at this time we (I) do not know if bit setting will be supported on the 812S. I have a good feeling it will be, but I don’t know 100%.

Overall, I would get the 812S simply because it’s newer and supports 8x -R. Plus I’ve heard it may be possible some time down the road to do dual layer on it. Again there are no guarantee’s.

I doubt very much the quality will be any worse then the 851S and will probably end up being better.

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]There are not many results yet bases on the 812S. Also at this time we (I) do not know if bit setting will be supported on the 812S. I have a good feeling it will be, but I don’t know 100%.

Overall, I would get the 812S simply because it’s newer and supports 8x -R. Plus I’ve heard it may be possible some time down the road to do dual layer on it. Again there are no guarantee’s.

I doubt very much the quality will be any worse then the 851S and will probably end up being better. [/B]

bit setting can work on 812s, it is no problem.

Really? This is the first report I have heard of it. Where did you get this information? Do you own a 812S and it has worked with the booktype tool? If so can you post step by step instructions on what you have done to get it to work?
Thanks.

Plus I’ve heard it may be possible some time down the road to do dual layer on it.

I heard the same for 811S :stuck_out_tongue: I bet I can kiss that information goodbye :\

Really? This is the first report I have heard of it. Where did you get this information? Do you own a 812S and it has worked with the booktype tool? If so can you post step by step instructions on what you have done to get it to work?
Thanks.

Yes! I already own 812s since 2wks ago, and post one test
report on www.speedlabs.org , I don’t try the Liteon’s
booktype utility for +RW,
but I have tried on DVD+R and then used DVDinforpro to
check the booktype, it became DVD-ROM.

the method is the same as 811’s

Good to know :iagree:

Originally posted by BlackSmith
I heard the same for 811S :stuck_out_tongue: I bet I can kiss that information goodbye :\

Read the second post here. :sad:

I considering buying the 812s over the NEC2500 and was lookin at the best prices for it.
I read somewhere that the SOHW-812S is a rebadged Sony DWU-18A(oem) (or other way round), Is this true as i have seen lower price for the Sony model on ebuyer uk.
If they are the same- any reason why i should buy 1 more than the other ?

Pleaes advise

Cheers

ArchV

:stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Dearbear
[B]Yes! I already own 812s since 2wks ago, and post one test
report on www.speedlabs.org , I don’t try the Liteon’s
booktype utility for +RW,
but I have tried on DVD+R and then used DVDinforpro to
check the booktype, it became DVD-ROM.

the method is the same as 811’s [/B]

I am curious as to how you got this to work as well. I see in your post that you have firmware US01. I have US05 and bitsetting is not working. Perhaps it is an issue with US05. I will try an locate US01 and US03 and give those a try.

Originally posted by ArchV
[B]I considering buying the 812s over the NEC2500 and was lookin at the best prices for it.
I read somewhere that the SOHW-812S is a rebadged Sony DWU-18A(oem) (or other way round), Is this true as i have seen lower price for the Sony model on ebuyer uk.
If they are the same- any reason why i should buy 1 more than the other ?

Pleaes advise

Cheers

ArchV

:stuck_out_tongue: [/B]

I would want the LiteOn for these reasons. AFAIK you can convert the DWU-18A to a 812S via a firmware flash. But wait until someone confirms this before taking my word for it :iagree:

Originally posted by worker
I am curious as to how you got this to work as well. I see in your post that you have firmware US01. I have US05 and bitsetting is not working. Perhaps it is an issue with US05. I will try an locate US01 and US03 and give those a try.

i have 03 on mine and it dont work either, just to save you some time looking. can send it to ya if ya want.

Hmmm so I’ve only heard one report so far of it working… let us know if US01 does the trick :iagree:

Originally posted by jme621
i have 03 on mine and it dont work either, just to save you some time looking. can send it to ya if ya want.

If it does not work with US03 then I don’t need it. Thanks for the offer… I have located US01 and I’m waiting for it to be sent. I’ll check it when I get it.

when you get it let me know would like to try it also, thanks.

Me too :iagree:

Ssseth,

Ran DVDinfopro on a backup I made, it gave the following media report (couldn’t get the file size <40k to attach, so copied text):

This may reaffirm the answer you got regarding the bitsetting that is working by default on the 812S with f/w US01. I burned this on TDK +R 4x media, it is listed as DVD-ROM in the book type below:

Media Information                            

Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Media code/Manufacturer ID
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name Old_School
Application id
Implementation id AHEAD Nero
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 3/ 6/2004 20:16:05
Format Capacity 4.36GB(4.68GB)
Book Type DVD-ROM
Media Type DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed Unknown
Data area end sector 22D84Fh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

I haven’t messed with the Liteon book setting tool, no need to yet if the drive takes care of it for me…

So. US01 does work, but not 03 or 05… curious!

I just received my LITEON 812S from newegg.

It came with f/w version us01, with a mfg date of 1/16/04.

I tested it with a 4X +R from newegg (RICOHJPNR01),
which I had already used with the LITEON 451s@851s,
which burned it at 8X with bookmarking set to dvd-rom.

This new 812S, at f/w us01, only burns these same
disks at 4X (same burning tool - recordnow max 4.5).

I ran the bookmark tool beforehand, like always,
and it seemed to indicate that it succeeded, but,
dvdinfopro reported the bookmark type as “Unkonwn”,
where, dvdinfopro reports the bookmark type
for the same disc type burned with the
451s@851s as “dvd-rom”.

SOoooo, it looks like the 812S is a step backwards
from the 451s@851S, at least with these 4x Ricoh
+R discs, and at the pre-installed f/w or us01.

I will be looking into f/w upgrades and all, but,
these are my initial observations.

Littleberry

As stated in another thread recently. The 812S does not support bit setting at this time but a future firmware update should.