851s died - please help

vbimport

I moved my 851s from dell 2400(XP,p4 2.2 Ghz)) to another machine with Win2k server version (p3 450 mhz,intel motherboard)

After instaling it on the other machine it came up fine I inserted a
CD it recognised it. I rebooted the machine with disc inside and now 851s is gone and i don’t see any power supply to it.
CD got stuck inside.

Please help.

Tried moving it back the the other PC yet?

Forgot to add.

851s is connected as secondary master with another cdrom drive
as secondary slave. DMA is on the 851 and for cdrom PIO is on.

Haven’t tried moving back to XP machine.

So what could have caused this to happen on the win2k machine?

Try it first in the other machine and make sure it’s not dead. There is no use trying to troubleshoot a dead drive. :smiley:

I read it somewhere sometime back that win2K server doesn’t support/ recognize DVD burners!!

Well I put this back on my other machine(xp) this time system won’t even
recognise the secondary ide channel
and in the device manager there is no
secondary ide channel.

Is this because the cd disk is still inside
the drive.?

Any suggestions on how to come out of this?

I think u should try to remove the cd 1st…

To manually release the tray you have to take a paperclip (or something similar)
and push it into that little tiny hole right above the volume control.

I removed the CD as per OC-freaks’s
suggestion. Put it back and my system still
doesn’t recognize devices on secondary ide channel.

Check directly if your drive be recognised during boot up or in the BIOS screen. If not be found, your drive may be broken down.

THe drive is not recognised during bootup and when I entered setup(F2) it says secondary master and slave are unknown.

I am going to RMA this one.

Thanks for your help

You have not modified the firmware at all right? You just put it in another system and it didn’t work?
If so, then yes. Sounds pretty dead to me if it’s not even detected in the BIOS when it’s connected by itself and set to master.

Before setting up on other machine I have upgraded the firmware
from GS08 to GSOC and burned three disks succesfully on older
machine.

It stopped working after I tried to hook it upto new machine and it
won’t even work on the old machine which was working fine
earlier before the move.

Does Win2k server supports DVD writers?

I’m not sure, I don’t see why it wouldn’t though. But even if it doesn’t support DVD burners, that wouldn’t kill your drive. The drive just wouldn’t work on that PC. When you put it back it should at least show up in the BIOS.
As a last gasp you could perhaps try flashing the drive with mtkflash (more info found here). But that probably won’t help and could potentially void your warranty. If the dead drive was caused by flashing you would have known right after the flash (ie, you wouldn’t have been able to burn anything).
The only other thing to try is placing it on different IDE channels/ using a different IDE cable, trying drive as master/slave/CS. Maybe trying a different power connection. If none of that works then it does look like the thing is dead.

Originally posted by Ssseth
The only other thing to try is placing it on different IDE channels/ using a different IDE cable, trying drive as master/slave/CS. Maybe trying a different power connection. If none of that works then it does look like the thing is dead.

I was wandering when someone will suggest this, because this should be the first answer. :wink:

I’m 90% sure that problem is in wrong jumper setting or in bad IDE cable… I’ve seen it too many times. It’s hardly to believe that drive “just died”, especially on piece of hardware that has no electronic elements exposed to static electricity, scratches or something else (in opposite to HDD, for example).

Ofcourse, I could be wrong…

I tried it on two systems that has XP and Win2k server

originally it was running fine on XP and after I moved it to
other machine it died and it won’t even work on xp machine now.
Just to make sure I hooked up my friends NEC 2500A on XP
machine. No problems at all.

So there is no bad ide cable on one system regarding and regarding jumper settings I tried all it won’t work. THe drive shouldn’t die because worng jumper settings.

Could this be because of power supply problem on wi2k machine
that screwed up this because its a very old machine(p3 450)

Anything is possible. A large power spike could have fried something I suppose…

are you sure you plugged the ide cable in correctly?

Yes I did. In any case it shouldn’t die on both the machines
assuming that one of them is problematic