851s 4x media, is higher speed possible?

I have a lite-on 851s with the latest firmware and I am using ricohjpn +r 4x media. I’ve seen than people with nec, pioneer and maybe some other brands of drives have been able to burn this media at 6x or even 8x. Is there any way to do this with the lite-on or does the “smartburn” technology restrict this becasue the write quality will suffer? In nero I can only select from 2.4x and 4x burning.

I have 451@851 drive with GSOA and GS0C and I am able to burn the ricohjpn +r 4x media (Verbatim, Imation) at 8x on it without any restriction. The quality is fine I have no issue so far.

geby

what software are you using? nero6?

Yes, I have nero 6.

geby

Ditto…

451s@851s GS0C burning Ricoh 4x +r’s at 8x using Nero 6 …no problem. Parity is a bit higher @8x but neither pc or standalone dvd player has any problems.

Haven’t tested with new GS0F version yet. Someone mentioned burning dvd+rw’s at 8x. Find it hard to believe(a typo maybe) but i’ll try that when i get the time.

Did you load the hacked FW?

I got the GS0C firmware from the liteonamerica website. Drive is primary drive on a IDE channel with another dvd drive (both set to Cable select)

I’ve purchased 2 spindles of memorex (ricohjpn code) media

Drive Type = DVD DUAL
Disc Type = DVD+R (Single Layer)
Disc MID = 52 49 43 4F 48 4A 50 4E (RICOHJPN)
Disc TID = 52 30 31 (R01)
Nominal Capacity = 4.38GB
Manufacturer Maybe = Ricoh Company Limited
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 4.0X (Write)

I am having the same issue. I tried different media including 4X TDK + and 4X memorex + media. Could not find the correct hacked firmware. The one I found turned my drive into coaster factory. Any help?

just tried with the new GS)F firmware still same thing. Also this firmware decided to restart my pc without any warning which kinda sucked. oh well nothing too important not saved…

You have to take the official FW and use the hack to convert it for 8x burning on certain 4x media, well thats what I did when I had my 451@851. Search the formum here for the file its in someones links, hint look for Ldw851fp.exe.

Here’s the link to the thread:

451@851

edit:

According to this thread GS0F now supports 8x on RICOHJPNR01 media.
New FW

it sounds like it just disables the 851 EEROM rom check when undating 451 firmware to 851, which isn’t a problem for me becasue I actually have a 851?

anyone else know? Do I need to patch and apply non liteon firmware/eerom so I can burn 4x media at higher speeds?

edit: found this :link

will read through and try it out, post results later

If I recall correctly, I believe the patch does both 451@851 and enables 8x for certain 4x +R media.

well after reading through the link I posted, I used LTNFLASH to do a backup of the GS0F firmware, and then used a freeware hex editor (here) the hex address is different from the one listed in the link (probably added more media codes before the RICOHJPN01 code)
but media codes still start around $C0000

anyway in the left side of of the hex editor you can see about where the richojpn01 information is stored, I changed offset 0xC02D5 to “1e” from “06”. I’m preparing to burn a disc and see the results

yay! worked great

Just updated to GS0F and it looks like the ricoh 4x media does not burn at 8x. :frowning: Looks like I’ve got to use the hack, sorry for any confusion.