840x DVD Problems

I have the HP 840x DVD Writer with Lightscribe. I got it about 2 weeks ago, and it does not read dvd’s, and lightscribe does not work. I tried updating firmware, and it the FWLoader said Model Mismatched when i tried to. This is really pissing me off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Andre

bump

Try to boot from a CD or DVD.
If it doesn’t work, try the burner in another computer or RMA it.

Is an proper burning app and software dvd player installed???

I just bought the same drive… HP 840i… Shows up as 840x in device manager…

Having the same issues when trying to burn a Lightscribe label. Non specific error comes up saying LightScribe Internal Error and it spits the disc out.

CD / DVD playback and burning works fine also able to boot using the drive.

Latest Lightscribe engine updates are installed.

The firmware update from HP fails saying the drive is a mismatch.

There are different drive models labeled as 840i, identified by the model number in the ID string. 840b was the first version, I think it was an HLDS GSA-4166B. That’s the one that has the firmware update on HP’s site. The 840x is a different drive altogether, I think a GSA-H20L. The default firmware is 236S. As far as I know, there’s no update for that one. It looks like there’s another one that’s out called the 840d. I don’t have much info on that one.

Either way, if the drive is detected correctly and it’s not reading DVDs, it’s probably dead. Especially if it still can read CDs. Most likely the DVD laser is out.

As for the LightScribe, firmware doesn’t really affect it much. It might be a software conflict or some sort of malware installed. LightScribe is really finicky. InCD, DirectCD, GEARsec (installed with iTunes, Norton Ghost, etc), even some printer spools can interfere with it. Try disabling everything under startup in msconfig, reboot, manually shut down any other unnecessary processes, then try again. If it works then something running on your system is the problem.

Here’s a bit of new info. I will try to update when I get the link.

Called HP support, referred to HP Optical Support at 866-694-7633.
Fellow there recognized the “Mismatch” error when trying to apply firmware and says that Level 2 has a patch for this. Hopefully, it works. I’m under the wire on a project.

artinfos

I’ll try to remember to repost with more info when I get it from HP.

Did you get and have any luck with the patch?

I am having the same problem with this drive - is there a public place I can get the patch?

After having experienced the futility of HP assistance, I happily “un-branded” my HP 840x DVD drive using the following procedure (pieced together from various posts, thank you ALL for the advice):

(1) Recognize that my HP 840x DVD is an LG GSA-H20L drive. Ultimately, give it a lobotomy to remove its HP-ness.

(2) Obtained the following firmware packages: LG_GSA4166B_101.rar - this is apparently an early release firmware for the GSA-4166B drive (1.01); 4166B102.ZIP - a later release firmware for the GSA-4166B drive (1.02); H20L_101.ZIP - firmware release for the LG GSA-H20L drive (1.01, the most current I could find).

(3) We want the loader from the GSA-4166B packages, and the firmware from the GSA-H20L package. Unpack the above archives, create a new directory, and populate it as follows: From LG_GSA4166B_101.rar, you need HBLoader.exe; from 4166B102.ZIP, you need WNASPI32.DLL; and from H20L_101.ZIP, you need 101_RPC1.BIN.

(4) Ok, now close all your apps (don’t forget your internet security suite), and launch HBLoader. This will flash your drive with no questions asked, except for the drive (your HP 840x, select it using the drop-down) and your firmware image (101_RPC1.BIN, select it using the giant rectangular “Open” button). The loader suggests that a different firmware is being set to load (GWA-4164B) but this is incorrect. Hold your breath, assume ALL risk, press “Update”, and then hopefully watch it go. Reboot, and device manager now reports that the drive is a GSA-H20L.

Be real careful, also accept the possibility that you risk the destruction of your drive. For me, it was worth it to upgrade to a firmware that works. Sadly, there was no way to back up the pre-existing firmware (a limitation of drives from LG, for shame!). I have NO IDEA how this affects the LightScribe functionality (I don’t use that). Good luck to you.

need help !!! dvd writer blues :frowning:
I have an HPM7334N with an dvd writer 840b and a dvd reader. problem started last week while i was trying to fix a slow write process. I ran a vb script dmareset posted by Hans-Georg Michna, now my dvd writer will not work. it will read and write cd’s but will not write to a dvd. it will not even recognize a dvd-rw disk.
checked in device mgr and
primary ide#1 dev0 is set to dma mode 5
dev1 set to dma if available current transfer mode not available
primary ide#2 dev0 set to dma if available current transfer mode not available
Secondary ide#1 dev0 set to dma if available current transfer mode not available
Secondary ide#2 dev0 set to dma if available current transfer mode dma mode 2
dev1 set to dma if available current transfer mode dma mode 2

I did a full recovery of my system but still will not work. Does this mean my dvd writer is toast ? or is this a configuration thing ? I remember vaguely that the primary and secondary ide settings were different but i did not make a note of it. even if i did there is now way to change this dma setting is there ???
appreciate any help

TEST in SAFE MODE or in another computer.

I have a folder put together with the items gotechnum stated a few posts below. I had same prob with bad firmware. I would happily put it here but dont know how to package things and put them on the web. so if anyone knows and wants the firmware items below please tell me how to post a downloader or something on this post. its like 800 kb and the limit for thispost is like 150kb

I have the same prob w/my hp dvd 840. Now I just use it to burn cd’s. I’ve come to the conclusion that it is a piece of crap… :a

I posted the firmware for the DVD writer 840x on the P2P program, frostwire (FrostWire.com � Official Website & Free Download, BitTorrent �) the folder is named “JJD55066 HP 840X FP” and is a .rar package. to try to keep the search narrowed. it was too big of folder to attach to this forum. its a zipped package, 741kb. It contains HBLoader.exe, W50S65JA.bin, and wnaspi32.dll. if it doesnt contain these 3 items, then its not my folder. You need to extract the files in order for the HBloader to be enabled. I hope you with problems finding the firmware will find it and have it work for you. I had same problem with my DVD and then I put these together. Please note that I am trying to help, but im not responsible for any problems. Thanks. if you ABSOLUTELY cannot get it downloaded. I can burn a CD for you and send it if you pay for shipping cost of CD and the cost of CD, so like $1?

[QUOTE=ixxixxi;1915982]I posted the firmware for the DVD writer 840x on the P2P program, frostwire (FrostWire.com � Official Website & Free Download, BitTorrent �) the folder is named “JJD55066 HP 840X FP” and is a .rar package. to try to keep the search narrowed. it was too big of folder to attach to this forum. its a zipped package, 741kb. It contains HBLoader.exe, W50S65JA.bin, and wnaspi32.dll. if it doesnt contain these 3 items, then its not my folder. You need to extract the files in order for the HBloader to be enabled. I hope you with problems finding the firmware will find it and have it work for you. I had same problem with my DVD and then I put these together. Please note that I am trying to help, but im not responsible for any problems. Thanks. if you ABSOLUTELY cannot get it downloaded. I can burn a CD for you and send it if you pay for shipping cost of CD and the cost of CD, so like $1?[/QUOTE]

Please up it to a free hoster like rapidshare, filefront or megaupload…

Mission success!! De-HPed my drive and updated to LG GSA-H20L firmware 1.02. Thank you for this method. It works great and I can see improvements over the initial firmware. Have tested burning/reading DL DVD, CD-R, and Lightscribe burning with 0 errors.

I have an HP DVD Writer 840i that registered as HP DVD 840x S632 and it was having problems reading some media. I would have to reinsert the media several times (especially for my DL DVD+R) before it would recognize it sometimes.

Specifications directly from outer label:
HP DVD 840i (dvd840-04)
Manufactured: June 2006
F/W: S632 H/W: A
V/M: HLGSA-H20L
MID: CNLGEDS*****
Regulatory Model: GSA-H20L

Method:
Used HBloader and LG 1.01 f/w .bin update to remove HPness. Used LG 1.02 f/w program to verify it could auto-update.

If you need files, PM and I can give you them or show you where I got them on the net.

[quote=joligario;1972620]
Method:
Used HBloader and LG 1.01 f/w .bin update to remove HPness. Used LG 1.02 f/w program to verify it could auto-update.

If you need files, PM and I can give you them or show you where I got them on the net.[/quote]

:bow:

Just wanted to point out that this method worked perfectly for me as well. I PM’ed Joligario and he sent the files out. I ran the stuff and had everything set up and was rebooted and finished in about 2 minutes.
After turning 7 DL DVD’s to coasters…I have now backed up 2 games without a single hiccup with my new LG. No more dirty HP drive!

If for whatever reason you can’t reach Joligario, your welcome to try and get a hold of me as well, I’ll be keeping those files backed up and will happily send them your way.

my hp dvd 840x is 16x burn but its stuck burning at 4x need help fixing this and the disc are 16x so that cant be it any help would be super thx

[QUOTE=remer;2010625]my hp dvd 840x is 16x burn but its stuck burning at 4x need help fixing this and the disc are 16x so that cant be it any help would be super thx[/QUOTE]

Post useful info eg. media brand and MID.

Hello! Can you tell me where I can get these files and what I have to do to install them? I am having the same exact problem with my HPDVDx. THANKS!