Servo errors have been discussed in the Big Kprobe thread in the Media Fourm. There might be other threads on the subject in the same forum. Just use search for “servo”. Here’s one thread http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=98856
I was getting this message also, but only with RicohJPNR01 media with SmartBurn going on and off. Was 832S with VS04 Firmware. Downgraded to 812S with US0N and guess what the problem went away. Just like the code guys have stated the US0N firmware is more mature than VS04.
KProbe2 emits some fairly generic errors that don’t always mean much. In this case it probly translates to a failure to read a block. This probably means very high error rates, or some other reading issue, but can also be caused by other things.
So you have to sort of interpret the errors based on their context. IDE activity can also trigger PUH skipped errors, like opening Explorer or another application. In that case you have to re-start the scan.
I wasnt accessing any thing else at the time just sitting watching the screen
I am now getting bad kprobe results with verbatim disks.
i am getting errors with virtually every disk i have tried to write to - either the firmware is complete crap or the drive is buggered i guess, prob is ebuyer are out of stock even if i wanted to try replace with a 10 day lead time
Reading the posts following this one. With VS04 the failure I was having always happened at 86% and only with RicohJPNR01 disc and was 100% repeatable. Lowering the speed to 6X corrected the problem. Going to US0N was also able to burn at 8x with no errors. The Ricoh Swap did not fix the issue.
Try US0N in place of VS04 and see what happens !!! After all your not going to start buying DL media a $15 bucks a pop !!!
Looking at your K-Probe results, it appears your errors are more than likely at the beginning of the disc. My problem with VS04 always happened at 86% to 100% and only with RicohJPNR01. MCC002 disc worked perfectly with VS04.
This is a specific problem which occurs with +RW media. With HS0P and using nero to burn +RW media, KProbe does not detect the right disk size, instead it checks the max. capacity of the disk. You got the error at the point where the disks is still empty. So if you overwrite the disk with e.g. 100 MB using a quick erase, KProbe will again scan the whole disk instead of just the 100 MB. I am not shure if this is a KProbe, nero or firmware problem, but it occurs with nero 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52 and HS0P, VS05 using KProbe 2.2.2.
i had the same thing but mine was wierder. i rarely scan discs anymore since i got my 2500a since it burns so perfectly. so i was scanning a burn of a disc and when i checked it was well past the burned area in kprobe and reporting Servo Error 030900. my drive BTW is a 411s for scanning. when i looked at how that disc reported itself in kprobe it showed 4.38 gig capacity. 2.53 gig used and like 1.7 or so free… meaning that the disc didn’t look closed to the software. so i took the disc i burned just before that and checked it
first it kprobed fine. no servo errors. next i checked the disc info and this one showed the burned capacity 3 gig or so and no free space… so apparently nero is leaving sessions open even tho it is set to DAO/finalize.
not sure what your setup is but i was using nero express 184.108.40.206 to burn and i did 2 in a row and it was the Second disc that had the problem.
interestingly i used cd/dvd speed quality check to check the funky disc and that had 0 problems reading the disc and locating the end of it. since it is only for data i am not worried about it.
i found the disc here is what kprobe sees with disc info:
Disc Type DVD+R
Book Type DVD-ROM
Manufacturer RiTEK Corporation
Media ID RITEKR02
Protection System None
Capacity 4.38 GB
Free Size 1.60 GB
Free Blocks 839472
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 6.2x
Maximum Write Speed 4.0x
Current Write Speed 4.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 4.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 2.4x CLV
here is a kprobe showing the servo errors and the kprobe scan. the green lines are where the servo errors start. there aren’t many of them since i was impatient and didn’t let it run for 1/2 like last time.