832S or 1213S

I’m new here, so thanks in advance for your help.

Here’s the scoop. I can’t decide. I do think I’ve decided on LiteOn over Plextor or NEC however. I have a Sony U18A, but I want something officially supported, and not something I have to hack to upgrade. So back it goes to the store (I didn’t realize it was a rebadged 812S till after I bought it).

I’ve read tons of threads on this site, and many others, and they have all helped me to get to where I am. One thing I’ve learned, is that this is still an imperfect consumer electronics product. Anyway, on to the question…

I just can’t decide between the 12x 1213S and the 8x, but DL capable, 832S. Do I really want DL? Will I use it if I’m not backing up movies? Should I get it cause it’s the next great thing? I found the drive for $82 (832S) with free shipping, and the 1213S for $79.99. So they are basically the same price, but
I’m driving myself crazy, and am thinking I should buy nothing now and just wait.

Lastly, the only real downside I see some people say about LiteOn drives is that they are finnicky with media. Is that your experience?

Thanks again.

Can’t tell you whether to get the 832 or 1213 but with either one make sure you get quality media and you’ll be groovin… :wink:
Goes without saying for any drive you buy though…
If everybody would just leave the crap media sittin on the shelves then maybe they would quit stocking it.

The 1213 is also DL capable, it’s just not “implemented” yet. If you don’t mind doing some strat swapping, you can get decent burns from the 1213, but only with decent media. The main reason for getting the 1213 right now is the price, and the fact that it will upgrade later. As soon as the 1633 is released, the price on the 1213 will drop even more.
If you just want a relaible burner that works with any media you feed it, (out of the box), get the NEC.

Not that I doubt your info, I’m just curious. How do you know the 1213 is DL capable? Is it in the specs? Do you know when the firmware upgrade will be available to allow this?

And you say the reason to get the 1213 is cause of the price. I’m not sure what you meant. Do you mean because it’s the same prices as the 832, and it’s a newer drive (is that true)?

Also, you mention getting decent burns with decent media only. That’s not specific to the 1213 is it? LiteOn in general right?

And what is the 1633 that you mention?

Thanks!

Past experience.

Do you know when the firmware upgrade will be available to allow this?

Whenever the 1633S comes out.

And you say the reason to get the 1213 is cause of the price. I’m not sure what you meant. Do you mean because it’s the same prices as the 832, and it’s a newer drive (is that true)?

Can’t speak for rd here, but yea, I think that’s what he meant.

Also, you mention getting decent burns with decent media only. That’s not specific to the 1213 is it? LiteOn in general right?

LiteOn in general. It’s a great 8x burner (mine burns 8x so well that it’s replaced my 832S as my regular burner). But it’s not very happy once pushed past 8x.

And what is the 1633 that you mention?

Upcoming drive from LiteOn. +R DL and 16x. The first version of it will come out in the form as rebadged drives, like the 16x Memorex. Contrary to what some people claim, there is, AFAIK, no such thing as a 1613S model–just a 1633S model.

Thanks for the info…hmmm…maybe I should just get the 1213S then…I don’t have an immediate need for DL, but thought it would be a “nice to have”.

But even though LiteOn’s can be finnicky with subpar media, as a drive/burner, they’re good right? It’s so hard to decide, there are so many to chose from, and so many opinions. I guess worst case, it’s only $80.

I think it’s fair to say that all of the newer “3” series drives have serious problems with firmware and burn strategies, many of which can be overcome with strat swapping.
I suspect that LiteOn is using high school science classes for firmware programmers. :rolleyes:

BTW, what is “strat swapping”?

I’m very anxious to know on what media that is, and what strat swap you’re using.

strat swapping allows you to use different write strategies with your media. In the firmware are stored writing strategies (including writing speed too) for each media supported by the firmware. People have been testing some writing strat swaps that give better results than the stock ones. You can swap strategies with the omnipatcher.
Have a look at this post: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=100190
and at this one http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=97590

An example could be RITEKR03 burned with YUDEN000T02 strategy.
Recommended swaps are in the <b>rec_tweak.conf</b> included in the Omnipatcher’s zip.

Regarding to 832s or 1213s I would go for the 1213s that will probably be upgradable to 1613s and to DL (no hurry, DL media are TOO expensive).

Thanks. I think that’s what I’ve decided, to get the 1213S. I just need to order this thing so I stop looking at them.

Code is cheating, and he can’t tell you what he’s using. The tests I’ve done with the 1213 are in the swapping results thread

Keep in mind that some of these swaps will change as firmware versions change.
YMMV

Thanks everyone, I did just order the 1213S in black, OEM version. I just hope it is upgradeable for DL in the future. Thanks again!