822a write problem

I have just purchased an 822a. I have a problem when trying to burn a dvd.
I have successfully burnt 1 dvd on the rw media supplied with the unit. ( ~4GB of still images)

If I try and burn a small video (~ 140mb) with Adobe Encore or Nero I get a write error message ( adobe error states Invalid Address for Write Incremental - Streaming Write (DVD Error 336130) ) . I have tried this 5 times , with Adobe and Nero, with No name and Maxel DVD-R media and once after updating to the latest firmware ( B3Jc)

The store that sold me the burner says it’s probably that my pc is underpowered. ( it’s a P3 733 with 512mb ram running XP Pro) No other apps are running . CPU utilization is ~6%. Memory utilization is low.

BenQ tech support said it may be memory ( I added another 256 mb ) or the IDE channel may be shared - it’s not.

Any suggestions.

Also , I was originally going to buy a Sony but the shop recommended the BenQ. Is this a good brand/unit ?

Thanks in advance

Is Ultra-DMA enabled for the Harddrive and burner?
Which version of nero exactly do you use?
Why don’t you use DVD+R(W) media?
(the benq is originally a + burner)
Buy a quality DVD+r(w) media (e.g. verbatim) and try again
Do a disc-quality-scan of the burned media with the latest nero cd-dvd-speed and post the scan here.
don’t use adobe or other strange programs beside latest nero6 until everything works fine.
when burning in nere6 what does the buffer-graph show during burning? goes it all the way down from time to time or not?
what name has the noname-media?
where and for how much did you buy the maxel-media?
which speeds are printed on the media?
which speed do you use when burning?

You could make sure your XP has all it’s updates. Yeah make sure your DMA is enabled. Make sure your jumper setting on your burner is correct.

<when burning in nere6 what does the buffer-graph show during burning? goes it all the way down from time to time or not>

I just did a nero speed test and the ‘data rate’ did not get abobe 1.0 is was arounf .65-.7

<Is Ultra-DMA enabled for the Harddrive and burner? >
Yes
<Which version of nero exactly do you use? >
Nero 6.3.1.10

<what name has the noname-media? >
No name on package
<where and for how much did you buy the maxel-media? >
~ C$25 for a 10 pack
which speeds are printed on the media?
4x
which speed do you use when burning?
1x

>Nero 6.3.1.10
Try Nero 6.3.1.25

>Yes
yes what?

Is your harddisc udma capable? ist dma switched on for bunrer and harddisc???

To me it looks very much like the udma is not working properly. Try other (better) dma-cable (must have 80 cables, not only 40).

Why don’t you burn 4x or at least 2x??

i know in nero theres an option that says burn at least 1gb of data on the disc to make it dvd compliant…maybe you have that checked so thats why it wont let you burn only 140mb on a dvd…seems like a waste too

I think you need to burn at 4x. I think you need to avoid 2x cause it may try to burn at 2.4x instead. Won’t Nero give you the option of 4x? Yeah try updating Nero. You need to go in your device manager and check your DMA designation … should be multi-word 2. You may also want to try deinstalling Adobe 1.0 as a last resort.

Thank you all for suggestions. I 've fixed with problem - I wish I had found this forum on Friday!!.

Changes I made

Upgrade to the latest version of Nero.
Remove a DVD reader that was on the same channel as the burner. For
some reason I could not set the DMA correctly until I did this and put the Benq burner as device 0

Thank you again.