812s Ritek problems

vbimport

I have an 812s with USOQ FW. (Actually a 4kus)
Been burning dvds with shrink/nero on princos since I started a few months ago. They are usually fine, but some will fall down a bit towards the end - I know Princos are cheap what do you expect.
So I bought a 50 pack of Ritek g04’s,(twice the price) hoping for a step up in quality…?
Burn goes fine until the very end and then get a message from nero saying it has failed. Tried to burn using decrypter - which finishes the job, but the disc are virtually unwatchable.

Will changing to CG4E (or any other) be of any benefit?
Im using -R’s and only burning at x2 - which is a supported speed for both discs. Im not interested in speeding up the burn process, I just want to be able to use the 45 remaining riteks (or whatever else I buy next) and have some confidence they will work.

Advice?

AFAIK Ritek G04s are only good at 4x.
if you batch is indeed rated at 4x dont waster your discs burning at 2x.

My experience with 2x buning of Ritek G04s was some very nasty coasters. Its not like Cds where a lower speed is always better. Infact on this forum you will find hundreds of people advocating that burning at a lower than the highest spec for the disc as been a quest for disaster.

If you have more probs try the 832s firmware VS0E

@ roos50
welcome:). I agree with XPimP2k on the burn speed issue. Try burning a few at the rated speed. You may want to post a few Kprobe 2.4.2 BLER scans scanned at 4x scan speed(the forum standard for comparison). After the scan(about 14 minutes) select the diskette icon on the toolbar before ejecting disc, and save as a .png file. Attach to a post using the ‘manage attachments’ button in the ‘go advanced’ reply window. You can read Interpreting PI/PO error scans to find out what these graphs mean.

As for changing your firmware to non-official stuff, be advised that it will void your warranty. That being said, CG4E would be a good place to start experimenting with different firmwares to see if that works for you. It has helped some and been not-so-good for others. CG3E is what I use and I am very happy with the results so far(for +R media)(thanks CodeGuys :bow: ). If you are burning mostly -R media, the sony dru-700a VY08 firmware has provided good results for many people. The F.A.Q. for LiteOn Optical Drives would be a good place to start if you have any other questions. Good luck and let us know how it goes :iagree:

FYI DVD+R will perform better in your LITEON.
Notice this burn/scan was done with SOHW-812S USOQ.

Thanks for your help guys.
I will try some 4x burns tonight, I have only just downloaded kprobe so will give that a spin as well afterwards.

cheers.

OK. I had a couple of goes last night @ 4x burning. You were right they finished properly on nero with no errors. Havent watched them yet, but scanned through to the last few chapters on my dvd player to see if there was any problems.
1 disc that wasnt full (3.9Gb?)seemed ok. But the other that was full had a lot of problems.
This is a scan of the 1st one that “seemed ok” to watch.
This is also my 1st use of kprobe- and although I have copied + read the HUGE KPROBE THREAD its still new to me. (although I can tell my numbers are “slightly” higger than what they should be…)

I will try some FW experimenting with those you mentioned earlier with the remainder of my -R’s and then once they are finished will take your advice and switch to good +R media.

@ roos50
wow. That is a pretty bad scan. I would be shocked if this disc played without major pixelations or freezes. If it does play all the way through OK, then you might have a poor reading drive, but my first guess would be that you are getting major buffer underruns. Do you notice this while burning? The red light on the drive would flash to yellow every 15 seconds or so(in your case). The light should stay red with maybe one or two quick yellow blinks through the whole burn. You may also notice the two buffer meters in nero not staying full…they should stay above 90%(better yet, stay full) throughout the whole burn as well.

To fix the buffer underruns, you might start with Enabling/ Checking DMA In Windows XP, 2000, Me, 9x . You may also wish to follow good burning protocol which includes closing all programs and no surfing during the burn, defragging your HDD before ripping to your HDD, after defragging making sure you have at least 5+GB free-and-continuos space on your HDD(you can see that in the HDD before-and-after analysis graph shown in the defrag program) and run spybot or similar anti-spyware program.

Do all these things and try another burn using US0Q firmware(I think we should stay with this until we can figure out that it is a firmware problem), watch the drive light and the nero buffer meters, and post the scan results.

Thanks for your advice please.
Firstly: I am already set up DMA enabled, and when burning I dont have any other apps open. or web surf. I took your advice and checked my HDD, which was very much in need of a good defrag (I will be getting a 2nd dedicated HD for dvd rips soon).
When burning, the nero used read buffer is always around 100%, while the recorder buffer level is always in the high %90’s. There is a constant always-on orange(?) light on my drive. As i said, my drive is the 4kus 812s with the USG4 FW which is the 4kus version of USOQ.

Ok after a good defrag, I gave the burning another go. I burned the exact same movie (full disk) on a ritek, and then on a princo, both at 4x. The scans are attached - there’s a bit of a difference… Playing them in my philips player and only scanning thru quickly to the last few chapters - the ritek hangs quite badly while the princo seems to play fine.

Ive only been at this for a few months, and various reports of princo longevity worry me- which is why I want to try and get good results with other media.

i had bought a couple of 200 packs of Ritek G04’s and G05’s when i got my 1633S. i wasn’t getting good results so i found this forum. after a little reading and experimentation (love that omnipatcher tool), i am now getting good, consistent burns.

for my 1633S, the G04’s burn best with the G06 strategy at 6X. i burn the G05’s with the stock strategy but at 6X. i definitely see a noticeable degradation when burning at 8X.

i always make my burns after a reboot, no other apps running, and using dvd decrypter.

i would suggest you try some different strategies (reset learning prior to each new strategy try). need to have a couple of burns to get calibrated (you may also get some type of i/o error on the first try of a new strategy, but try burning a second or third disc before you decide).

since the -R ritek’s seem to be readily available, i am going to continue using them for now.

good luck.