812s - 8x writing on 4x media?

vbimport

#1

I’m thinking of buying a Lite-On SOHW-812S DVD Writer, but before I do, would like confirmation of a couple of things -

Will this drive write 4x media at 8x?? I know it won’t with the official firmware, but is it possible to flash the firmware to enable this?

I’m thinking of getting some Datasafe Ritek G04 ‘A’ grade DVD-Rs, are these a good choice and will they be compatible with the 812s at 4x (and 8x?)

Thanks
Chez


#2

Originally posted by chez
is it possible to flash the firmware to enable this?

Yes.

I’m thinking of getting some Datasafe Ritek G04 ‘A’ grade DVD-Rs, are these a good choice and will they be compatible with the 812s at 4x (and 8x?)

Yes.


#3

Thanks, just what I needed to hear.

Am I correct in saying that this drive is better than the 851s??


#4

Originally posted by chez
Am I correct in saying that this drive is better than the 851s??

Yes.


#5

I have the 812s, so far I have 3 coaster of Ritek G04 ‘A’ grade (tango) DVD-Rs @8x, it appears to have written it but when I try to access the files everything freezes.

Am I using the right media?

No problems at 4x tho.

I used the default setting of the hacktool.


#6

Not all G04 discs can overspeed at 8x successfully. There have been reports of G04s burning nicely at 8x and reports of G04s burning poorly at 8x. I think the media is too variable to gaurantee that it will always burn okay at 8x.


#7

If I’m right, then TY revision 1 4x DVD+R is the only 4x media to work at 8x with the official firmware.

And I think about 80% og the ritekG04 media out there is not good enough for 8x speed.


#8

Unfortunately with the 812S it’s not all beer and skittles.

Yes YUDEN000T01 burns at 8x, as does CMC MAG F01 (certain ones anyway).

I’ve had a try with “speedhacking” the firmware and the results are way less than satisfactory.

CMC MAG AF1 burns OK at 6x
PRINCO burns OK at 6X

RITEKG04 gives CRC errors at 8X
RICOHJPNR01 gives CRC errors at 8X
TYG01 gives CRC errors at 8X (Jackass weeping profusely!!!)

NEC2500 burns all of these discs wonderfully with Herrie’s f/w - so liteon needs a lot of work !!!


#9

@Jackass

Seems like LiteOn’s drives are too variable. People have been able to overspeed those discs w/ nice results… but you haven’t been able to. So you’re probably one of the (seemingly too many) people who got a not-so-great drive. Sigh.


#10

Originally posted by code65536
[B]@Jackass

Seems like LiteOn’s drives are too variable. People have been able to overspeed those discs w/ nice results… but you haven’t been able to. So you’re probably one of the (seemingly too many) people who got a not-so-great drive. Sigh. [/B]

Well, my 812S burns superbly well at 4x (and also the mentioned media at 6x)

Here’s a Princo disc burnt at 4x on my 812S - best I’ve ever seen from a Princo.



#11

Originally posted by Jackass
[B]
RITEKG04 gives CRC errors at 8X
RICOHJPNR01 gives CRC errors at 8X
TYG01 gives CRC errors at 8X (Jackass weeping profusely!!!)

NEC2500 burns all of these discs wonderfully with Herrie’s f/w - so liteon needs a lot of work !!! [/B]

I knew it was a mistake buying the 812s, I could have got a better drive and saved £15 if I went for the 2500.

I think I know what the deal with Sony is…re-badge the crappy sony ones that dont pass sony tests to Liteon 812s.

Well at least thats my theory…anyone else care to comment on this?


#12

After having read up some more (and found a great deal), I’ve gone for the 2500a myself.

Got it for £60 incl delivery.

Looking forward to playing with it when it arrives!!

Thanks for all your help and advice guys/gals…

Chez :slight_smile:


#13

Originally posted by roks
[B]I knew it was a mistake buying the 812s, I could have got a better drive and saved £15 if I went for the 2500.

I think I know what the deal with Sony is…re-badge the crappy sony ones that dont pass sony tests to Liteon 812s.

Well at least thats my theory…anyone else care to comment on this? [/B]

No, the innards are all made by Liteon. Not a huge difference going from 411 to 811 to 451 to 851 to 812 and finally to 832 (same drive as 812?)

Maybe the Laser is made by Sony?
Maybe they borrowed Sony’s -R code? - certainly the burning routines for -R media are much different from previous Liteon drives…

The 812 isn’t a bad drive, I’ve found that it is the best DVD reader yet (better at reading scratched discs than 166S 811S Pioneer 106 and 107 burners, and just a little better than the NEC 2500)

It does burn certified 8x media as well as the NEC


#14

Originally posted by Jackass
No, the innards are all made by Liteon.

funny, the PCB in my 812s has Sony silkscreened on it.


#15

Originally posted by cobra1
funny, the PCB in my 812s has Sony silkscreened on it.

What you really mean to say is that it’s a Liteon PCB with SONY silkscreened onto it.

Check out the pictures at this page if you don’t believe me!

The similarity between the 811S and the 812 S is remarkable isn’t it?


#16

Ok I have both and yes the NEC does write better overall on most media…but theres some that it has a real hard time with. And unless your willing to used hacked firmware you cant even overclock 4x media. with herries you can do 4x media to 6x (what media does herries firmware burn 4x at 8x?? I thought that was coming out in beta 7?). The problem i have with NEC is lack of firmware support. The 2500A may be a great drive now but with new media coming out will it be later? Atleast liteon comes out with constant releases on thier firmware…and according to some pretty subtle rumors im thinking my 812 just might have some hidden features.:o


#17

With Herries beta 6 firmware, the 2500A will burn the following 4x media at 8x

AN31 and AN32 (-R) (shudder!! but acceptable results)
LEADDATA01 (-R) - fair to good results
RICOHJPNR01 (+R) - superb results
MCC002 (+R) - superb results
CMC MAG F01 (+R) - superb results
MEDIA ID001 (+R) - fair results
MCC01RG20 (-R) - superb results
TYG01 (-R) - superb results
TTG01 (-R) - superb results

and also others that I haven’t personally tested due to lack of media diversity in Australia.

Yes, I too expect great things from the 812S
If the 4x burning capabilities are a guide, then 8x burning will eventually be pretty good too.


#18

Originally posted by Jackass
[B]What you really mean to say is that it’s a Liteon PCB with SONY silkscreened onto it.

[/B]

NO, i said exactly what i meant to say. it may be liteon designed, but is evidently Sony built.


#19

The pictures clearly show a Liteon PCB - the silkscreening shows identical part numbers in most places, with the addition of “SONY”

You think Sony have been making Liteon PCB assemblies since Day 1 ???

Have another look at the link I posted…


#20

Originally posted by Jackass
[B]The pictures clearly show a Liteon PCB - the silkscreening shows identical part numbers in most places, with the addition of “SONY”

You think Sony have been making Liteon PCB assemblies since Day 1 ???

Have another look at the link I posted… [/B]

slow huh? do i have to spell it out?

where did i say Sony has been making PCB’s since day one?

where did i say the drive IS a Sony?

all i have merely stated is that the PCB is silkscreened with Sony, and appears to be manufactured by Sony. for those who are slow, this doesnt meean the drive IS a Sony, merely that Sony is producing the drives for Liteon.

it appears to another step in the colaboration between the two companies and certainly explains the change from LDW to SOHW model numbers.

why on earth would Liteon make PCB assemblies and put Sony on it? that would be like Dell building computers and putting E-machines emblems on them.