812S@832S & how does it handle Verbatim 8.5GB DL Dics?

I am going to flash my 812S soon to 832S using that OmniPatcher and one of these :frowning: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html I am guessing this one ‘US05/US0A/US0F/US0G - patched - enabled bitsetting support’ I am asking here because I asked in the newby forum and they directed me to this website without giving me any tips as to which apps/firmwares I need. I couldn’t get the help there, so this is my last resort. I don’t want to kill my drive, I am sure you understand.

And also once I do enable DL 9 support on my 812S@832S will it be able to hand this: Verbatim 8.5GB DL ? Has anyone has any experience with this media and the 812S@832S ? If so how did it handle it at 2.4X ?

I wish I knew myself but the only place I have found those Verbatim DL discs is in a multi-pack with other types of discs (10 total, only 1 DL) @ a price of $29.99 which is too high just to get a hold of a single DL disc.

Hopefully we’ll see more soon as all of the new DVD+R’s stocked at local retail stores are now (but not necessary better for burning at 8X with the 832s) all 8X certified discs, so the new generation of discs are now becoming mainstream with the older 4X disc already being “phased out”.

What’s crazy is that when I bought my first Lite On burner just a few months ago I had trouble sometimes finding 4X media as most media was only 2.4X & now the 4X is already being replaced with the 8X. That’s good news I guess (except that the Ricoh based 4X Memorex, Fuji, Imation & Maxell 4X DVD+R’s burn better than anything else, nearly “error free” via KProbe scans) which means that the DL media shouldn’t be too far away.

Especially since all drives sold will be Dual Layer in the very near future. Be patient and we’ll have the DL media at a good price soon!

If you want to change your drive to an 832S you will need to use the stock firmware listed under the 832S heading, patched with the OmniPatcher to enable cross flashing. See this page.

And also once I do enable DL 9 support on my 812S@832S will it be able to hand this: Verbatim 8.5GB DL ? Has anyone has any experience with this media and the 812S@832S ? If so how did it handle it at 2.4X ?

Yes. Verbatim MKM001 does seem to be the best DL media at the moment and many have experience excellent results with it.