812s@832s drive cannot read some boot media

Hi

I am noticing my 812s@832s drive cannot read some media properly, if I am observing right it is CDRW media it is having trouble with, inside windows it can read the media (after a long delay) but on bootup it cannot. So eg. I am about to try putting memtest86 on a dvdrw instead of cdrw to see if it works.

Is this problem likely to be a physical issue with the drive rather than firmware? I am curious if I flash back to 812s if it will work. I would be gobsmacked if its drive failure as although its maybe 2 or 3 years old now the drive hasnt had much use as I replaced it on my main pc within a year of having it and barely using it.

I confirm the boot dvd worked, so I guess it isnt a major problem I will just have to always use dvd’s on this drive for booting.

I had the same problem for a LiteOn CDROM that would boot to boot disc that were CDR but not boot to same if CDRW. I tried another LiteON CDRW drive which boots both CDR and CDRW. I don’t know if the older CDROM is beginning to fail or may lack ability to boot CDRW media by design.

The drive is really old. Get a new one, they are really cheap now.

I think its a design issue, the drive has had very light use, and since the pc is only a spare one that I dont use often (the drive is very rarely used) I wont be replacing the drive.

Lets face it, your drive is old & crossflashed too. Dont expect too much from it these days…

what do you mean by old?

its had less use than my newer drive in my main pc, I expect brand new it had this problem and been old is nothing to do with it.

I also tried flashing it back to 812 firmware and no difference.

conclusion?

design flaw in the model.

[QUOTE=Chrysalis;2297137]what do you mean by old?

its had less use than my newer drive in my main pc, I expect brand new it had this problem and been old is nothing to do with it.

I also tried flashing it back to 812 firmware and no difference.

conclusion?

design flaw in the model.[/QUOTE]

Dude, the drive is about 5+ years old…it’s only an 8x drive. We are up 24x nowadays…!

pfloyd1 I brought that drive new 3 years ago, and as far as I am concerned it doesnt matter if its 10 years old if its had hardly any use.

I dont replace drives just because they ‘old’. I replace them when I need a new feature not supported by my drive or it starts to fail.

I have the exact same problem on a brand new liteon in the same machine, when I plugged in my 812s into a old 486 machine it can read boot cd’s fine. So I now actually think its a motherboard bios issue.

The firmware doent contain the newer MID codes in it for modern day disks…like I said, the drive is over 5+ years old…

so I have to buy a new drive every 1/2 years to expect to use new discs I buy?

wow thats a large turnover of drives.

Luckily boot dvd’s work so I wont be wasting my cash and it wont be liteon again when I do buy a drive (be when I get bluray burner).

Thanks for the replies.

If you had a 5 year old Samsung or other drive it’d likely have the same problem. The problem lies in the age of the drive and has nothing to do with brand or how much it’s been used. To expect any device that’s 5 years old to support newer technology is just wishful thinking. BTW you can probably use your old drive just fine if you use CDR instead of CDRW media just as I did with my old drive.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2448237]If you had a 5 year old Samsung or other drive it’d likely have the same problem. The problem lies in the age of the drive and has nothing to do with brand or how much it’s been used. To expect any device that’s 5 years old to support newer technology is just wishful thinking. BTW you can probably use your old drive just fine if you use CDR instead of CDRW media just as I did with my old drive.[/QUOTE]

sorry for my confusion, I didnt realise cdrw was new technology, I thought bluray was.

The whole reason I use cdrw over cdr is I got sick of using a new disc everytime to burn something.

If I buy a burner drive am I to expect to only be able to buy media for it for 1-2 years or so?