812 and Bitsetting?

I am new to DVD burning and I just received my Liteon 812 yesetrday. I tried to use the bitsetting utility to set +RW disc to dvd-rom but it would not change. Does anyone know if the 812 supports bitsetting?
Also I have tried three burns on 4x RW discs using Nero and all three burns have taken 35 minutes. That seems awfully slow. The discs are Richoh Japan. Thanks for any help you can give.

It appears that the bitsetting ability is not complete in the current firmware. May be a bug or not fully implemented.

Myself, I don’t know if the 812S supports bit setting yet. I would think it might evuntually. It took awhile for the 4x1/8x1 series to get it. Try emailing LiteOn and asking them perhaps.

Regarding the media.
Have you tried downloading and installing SmartBurn yet? (the link is in the tools guide in my signature)
It will tell you the maximum burn speed of the media you are using. Perhaps it’s only rated 2x? RW?

List the media code. Download DVDInfoPro for that (again link in Kprobe area of guide).

Here is the Media infor from dvdinfopro

Media Information                            

Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNW11
Format Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
Book Type DVD+RW
Media Type DVD+RW
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
BG Format Status Completed
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 23053Fh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

And this is what SmartBurn says

Drive Type = DVD DUAL 
     Disc Type = DVD+RW (Single Layer)
      Disc MID = 52 49 43 4F 48 4A 50 4E (RICOHJPN)
      Disc TID = 57 31 31 (W11)

Nominal Capacity = 4.38GB
Manufacturer Maybe = Ricoh Company Limited
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 4.0X (Write)

This may sound silly but you are selecting 4x or Max before burning right?

Is DMA enabled?

Thanks Ssseth. I added the Liteon as a slave and DMA was enabled on the seocndary channel before I installed the drive. For some reason though DMA was not enabled on the LiteOn (device 1) yet was stilll enabled on the other drive (device 0). Afetr enabling a 4x burn took less than 14 minutes.

I emailed LiteOn in regards to Bitsetting on Friday night so hopefully they will respond. I just assumed the 812 would be able to. Otherwise I might have just bought an 811. Oh well. Thanks again for the help.

No problem.
Let us know what they say please :iagree:

PearlJam,

I am very interested in this drive and looking to buy my first DVDWriter.

Myself and others on this board would greatly appreciate it if you could give us feedback on the 812s performance as you get to use it more.

Actually… any chances of KPROBE results ??

Thanks,

AK.

Well I just did my first burn on a +R disc and the results are not looking good. I used 4x +r disc TDK (Ricoh) disc and my kProbe test is awful.

Here is the Media info and my Kprobe.
Drive Type = DVD DUAL
Disc Type = DVD+R (Single Layer)
Disc MID = 52 49 43 4F 48 4A 50 4E (RICOHJPN)
Disc TID = 52 30 31 (R01)
Nominal Capacity = 4.38GB
Manufacturer Maybe = Ricoh Company Limited
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 4.0X (Write)

I hope it gets better than this with other discs. Otherwise this drive is going back to Newegg.

Ricoh media has been less then stellar in quality as of late.

Here is another KProbe scan with a Ricoh 4 x +RW. Looks a lot better.