811s - what's the best firmware version?

vbimport

I just got the LDW-811S OEM drive and it came with HS0K firmware and I’m burning on Ritek DVD-R G04 w/DVDShrink + Nero 6.3.1.6. DMA mode is enabled on all my drives

I’ve noticed that even though my burns finish completely, some of them don’t seem to play or there are glitches in some that do work.

I wanted to know which firmware version is the best to use on the Ritek G04 Media and where I can download it from?
I’ve searched the links on this forum and it seems like I can only get the binaries and Liteon’s site only has HS0Q

I think this will resolve my burn issues

Thanks

HSOK ought to be ok. Try http://dhc014.rpc1.org

Media quality seems to be the biggest issue…

For me…HS0E seems to give me the best KProbe scans for DVD-R’s, and HS0P works the best for DVD+R’s…

Both of these firmwares naturally allow perfect playback on my standalone DVD player…no stuttering or pixelation., as long as I use good media…Ritek G04’s included.

Hope that helps.

I tried firmware HS0K, HS0E and HS0Q
I ran kprobe and my PI and PO errors are off the charts

The max PI and PO values I’m getting are:
PI from 600 to 1200
PO from 201 to 209

I’m going to try HS0P but I have a feeling this isn’t going to help much
anyone have any good suggestions and what could be the problem?

Which discs are you using?

Ritek DVD-R 4X 4.7GB G04 discs

I’ve been doing the burns w/Nero 6.3.1.6 at 2x speed

here’s a kprobe scan of my latest burn w/fw HS0P:
(I burned it on Nero at 2x Speed)

hi i newbe :bigsmile:

scan 2x?

my 401@811 with HS0Q firmware works great.
i mostly use ricohjpnr01 media

check out my post on speedlabs forum
http://speedlabs.org/forum/index.php/topic,455.0

15 scans.

You must have a bad batch of those G04 discs. The ones I have burned just fine on my old 811S, PI was around 15-20 avg, and negligible PO.

burned with an 811s @hs0p
freshly burned 4.7 gig movie
burned at 4x

your problem might be media. ritek has been having quality issues as of late

I have a 411S@811S and have tried HSOP, HSOQ, HSOK - with all types of media from the RitekG04s to CMC MAGF01…and only with HSOK do I get consistancy and no glitches.

There are always other influences on your burns other than the firmware, as raised earlier in this thread - media is always an issue, although at present it would seem that no matter the media my burns are consistant.

Have you thought about checking your data cables? I followed two suggestions that I was given in this regard, and although I cannot confirm whether they had a huge impact or not (because I did this at the same time as I modded the 411S to 811S) it certainly cannot of hurt. I have gone from getting 1 to 2 good burns out of 3 (using RitekG04 every time) to getting 100% success rate.

The two suggestions were:

[list=1]
[li]Install new data cables - may be a problem with old ones;
[/li][li]Install burner drive as Primary Slave and reader drive as Secondary Master - don’t have both DVD drives on the same IDE Channel.
[/li][/list=1]

I hope that helps.

Here is a disc I did tonight - isn’t she lovely??? Best KProbe reads ever! For a comparison I used same files and same procedure and software on two different media types:

This one burnt with Nero 6.3.1.6 at 4x on CMC MAGF01

This one was again burnt using Nero 6.3.1.6 at 4x on SONY04D1.

I should have mentioned previous reading was a DVD+R booktype DVD-ROM, this one DVD-R

My CMCs MAGF01 in my 411@811 with HS0Q@4W or doign a LOT beter … weird !

Hi thibouille - somewhere someone suggested that the 411S liked the cheaper media and I must admit I did have a slightly better success rate with cheapies before I modded.

Since all the upgrades I’ve used only a couple of Ritek, some Verbatim, CMC MAGF01 and SONY04D1. The best scans have come from the CMC MAGF01 and SONY04D1…so I’ll be interested to use same files to do more comparisons when I get some other discs, includiing Riteks.

But it would seem that the CMC MAGF01 are quite compatible with the 411S@811S.

What version firmware are you using?

HS0Q… here is a scan:

wow! what a great scan thibouille - and I thought mine were good!!

burned with an 811s @HS0P 2x ritek :slight_smile:

Originally posted by grogeybear
[B]Hi thibouille - somewhere someone suggested that the 411S liked the cheaper media and I must admit I did have a slightly better success rate with cheapies before I modded.

Since all the upgrades I’ve used only a couple of Ritek, some Verbatim, CMC MAGF01 and SONY04D1. The best scans have come from the CMC MAGF01 and SONY04D1…so I’ll be interested to use same files to do more comparisons when I get some other discs, includiing Riteks.

But it would seem that the CMC MAGF01 are quite compatible with the 411S@811S.

What version firmware are you using? [/B]

Icing on the cake… check out this 4X CMC -R burn on my 851S.
:smiley:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=78606 ->Last post there.

HSOK is best for me

chris, completely pointless saying ritek g04 as
there is no way of telling what quality disks
you have from that information.

here is what sarah is talking about:

forum post

what happened