811S - RMA or Keep

vbimport

I just recently bought a liteon 811s and have run into problems with it.

When it comes to burning DVD’s it appears to be fine, burning Cd-R’s is a different story though. If I burn a CD at 40X it works fine up into 500-600MB of the disk, then it starts producing errors. it always seems to only create the errors on one side of the disk. I know this becuase you can visibly see that the drive did not write to the disk when you hold the disk up to sunlight. I’ve also noticed that in some cases it appears that the drive stopped writing at the end of the disk and continued again. The only speed that I’ve been successful so far in burning disks is 8X and 24X, all other speeds have given me problems.

Even with DVD’s I’ve run into problems. Last night I tried to continue a writing session and nero said it could not read the disk. it’s odd because nero CD speed can read the whole disk.

The reason I’m asking this is because when I decided to RMA it the first time, I put my LTR-48246s back in and decided to try the new CD’Rs with it at 48X. when I burned a disk it failed. I never had this drive fail on me with the previous media. I decided to give the drive another shot and blamed it on media, but I’m not sure whether this is a good decision. So should I RMA it and get a new 811s and possibly get the same problems, or keep this one and live the the quirks oping that this is just media or a firmware problem?

The media I am currently using is Memorex 52X CD-R’s and 4X DVD+R’s From Wal Mart. I was previously using imation CD-R Media Rated ad 32X and had no troubles with it. Im buring this with Nero 5.5.10.54. I have a shuttle sn41g2 (Nforce2) system with a AMD 3000+ and 1024MB ram. I’m not using the Nforce IDE Drivers.

its happened with two 811s and a cd burner now. so far, the only common thing in the equation is ur system. there seems to be something whether hardware or software thats bugging u. Good - no Nforce ide drivers. Next up, media could definitely be it - use dvd identifier from in the sticky section at the top of the lite on forum under comprehensive tools, and give the media code of the dvd+rs. the lite on is very fussy about ‘poor’ media and walmart discs dont immediately set off alarms for quality. check em out and see what they are, and maybe go for a type that the 811 likes more eg Taiyo yuden, ricoh, ritek, mcc even cmc.
u say nero can’t read the disc. do u have incd or some other packet writing software on it? these are known to cause problems. is the booktype program open? that tends to lock the drive from being accessed by some programmes.
try burning the data from another partition. I get problems 3 out of 5 times when trying to burn from one particular partitions, all the others produce good burns.
even with the cds, try other media, as my 811 chokes on traxdata audio blanks for no understood reason. all i know is that when burning, it gets to about 90% then craps out. Changed the discs, no probs ever since.
Hope some o this helps, report back.

the DVD Media:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:CMC MAG-F01-000]

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG]
Media Type ID : [F01]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x - 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

According to the review for the 811s, it says it’s recommended media for this drive. other then trying to write multisession I haven’t had any problems with this so far.

as for the CD media,

This is the old imation media. Using CDR Media Code Identifier 1.63:

ATIP: 97m 26s 66f
Disc Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corp.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

This is the new Memorex media:

ATIP: 97m 26s 66f
Disc Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corp.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f / LBA: 359848)

Other than the Nominal capacity, there doesn’t seem to be any difference, which is odd since one media is rated at 32x and the other is 52x, and the imations seem to burn better. It does say in the review that CMC’s are not great with this drive.

As far as packet writing is concerned, no. I do not have Incd or directCD or any of that stuff and I dont have the booktype program so that wouldn’t be a problem.

ok, CMC is not perfect, but it should at least work somewhat. u haven’t mentioned if u’ve tried burning from a different partition - try that and report again.
I’ve never done multisession, so I can’t speak very confidently on the matter. Right now, apart from the ideas I’ve given, I’m stumped :confused: . hope someone else can offer assistance

Tried from C: and D: Drive. Same Result on CDR’s.

I am no expert. I think its possible that its the media you are using. You mentioned the Imation CD R’s were OK. I use on my 811s the Imation DVD+R’s (RICOHJPN) only rated at 2.4x but without any problems in any of the different formats using Nero6.
Its a good reliable brand IMHO.
Good luck
JP

PIII450(yeah nearly 5 years old)
384Mb sdram
ATI9200 256mb
Liteon LDW 811s
1.1Mb ADSL
Nero6

:slight_smile: