811s RED and ORANGE blink writing DVD+r at 8 speed

When I am writing a DVD+R at 8 speed the light on the drive is constantly flashing between orange and red.

The disk I am writing is imation DVD+R. Lite-on’s SMART-Burn utility returns the following information for this disk:

Drive Type = DVD DUAL 
          Disc Type = DVD+R (Single Layer)
          Disc MID = 52 49 43 4F 48 4A 50 4E (RICOHJPN)
          Disc TID = 52 30 31 (R01)
Manufacturer Maybe = Ricoh Company Limited
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 8.0X (Write)

I am burning the disk with Nero 6.3.0.3. I am running WindowsXP on an Athlon 2600 with 512MB and a VIA KT4V chipset. The drive is configured as master on the secondary IDE channel and shows to be in UDMA mode 2 in the windows device manager.

Is this a problem with this particular media or is my system not correctly configured?

Cheers,
Jurgen

Does the burn finish successfully?
Orange then red and back again usually indicated the drive is having problems getting the data fast enough.

Perhaps a IDE driver issue. If you haven’t yet, try uninstalling both IDE drivers and then reboot. The default Microsoft ones should be installed automatically upon reboot.

Do you mean uninstall the VIA drivers?

Originally posted by Ssseth
Does the burn finish successfully?

Yes. Uninstall the primary and secondary IDE drivers in the control panel which are most lkely VIA drivers.

Maybe your hdd is fragmented.

Originally posted by easy-going-man
Maybe your hdd is fragmented.

This is not very likely. Nero has two memory indicators: one indicating the PC memory and one indicating the drive buffer memory level.

The PC memory level indicator always gives completely full. This leads me to believe that there is no problem getting the data from the HDD into memory

It could be a DMA issue. You don’t need to uninstall VIA drivers. I have Windows XP + Via Hyperion 4.51. The IDE drivers in XP are the default windows one leave them alone.

Your drive could be running in PIO mode.

Make sure you have the latest service packs for WindowsXP.

I have ALL the update patches + Service Pack 1, and all my HDD are in UDMA mode 6 ATA133, and my 811S in UDMA mode 2 or 4 I believe. (2 most likely) :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Rimmer66
It could be a DMA issue. You don’t need to uninstall VIA drivers. I have Windows XP + Via Hyperion 4.51. The IDE drivers in XP are the default windows one leave them alone.

I uninstalled the drivers as recommended by a previous poster. However, I did not see any differences in the driver names in the device manager.

Your drive could be running in PIO mode.

Not according to Windows XP. Please look at the attached picture.

Make sure you have the latest service packs for WindowsXP.

I have all that.

If you use Nero InfoTool, then restart your computer before you try to burn anything.

I have finally found what the problem was :slight_smile:

In my MSI KT4V board i had enabled “CPU HLT Command detection”. I have found out that when this option is enabled the IDE Bus Mastering is disabled.

When I use Nero CD-DVD Speed I now get an Burst interface speed of 22MB/s. And I can write at 8 speed properly.

Before i disabled this option Nero CD-DVD speed showed only 14MB/s.

Cheers,
JeeWee

Ok, I shit you not, just go with me on this one!

I had the same issue. Have a VIA chipset too.
Remove all your USB devices, including your mouse if it’s a USB one (use a PS/2 adapter)

This will SOLVE the problem. Trust me!
Plug em back in and you will see the issue returns. :iagree:

The changing colors indicate buffer underrun which is normal.