811s problems checking own disks

I took the plunge and bought a 811s, and burning 8x DVD+R (on TDK-branded RICOHJPNR01) works fine, but I found the following problem:

When I insert a disk created in the burner, several programs (DVDInfoPro, Nero, CDSpeed) don’t display the burner anymore. If I eject the disk and start the program again, everything’s back to normal again. The disk is displayed ok in Explorer, and it also shows up in K-Probe (fortunately). When I insert the same disk in any other drive, it works ok and I can run CDSpeed or DVDInfoPro.

Any ideas why this happens? It happens no matter whether I create the disk with Nero or RecordNowMax DX (both latest version/burn engine).

EDIT: disks created with a Pioneer 104 and a HP DVD200i work fine (those disks were created as ISOs, the disks from this burner are UDF/ISO, I think).

Another problem that happened to me was that I couldn’t burn a TDK (TYG01) DVD-R disk for a while. RecordNow displayed an SCSI error, and Nero froze the computer as soon as I hit the burn button. After some fiddling around with ASPI (I now have Adaptec ASPI layer 4.6) RecordNow DX was able to burn the disk (Nero still froze). However, on this disk I cannot even run K-Probe, although it shows up fine in other drives. It seems the disk is not finalized, but I cannot finalize it with Nero because Nero still freezes as soon as I press Burn (after importing the old session), and with RecordNow DX I don’t know how to finalize the disk.

Other ideas?

Thanks,

Michael

P.S.: Burn quality on 8x burns is great: PI is always below 50 and PO below 5 except for 1-2 spikes (read at max speed)

Strange problem, maybe it’s software related?

Any ATIP hiders or CD-Emulators installed? Any packet writing programs?

Any buggy IDE drivers installed? (Nvidia nforce drivers and intel application accelerator for example)

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]Strange problem, maybe it’s software related?

Any ATIP hiders or CD-Emulators installed? Any packet writing programs?

Any buggy IDE drivers installed? (Nvidia nforce drivers and intel application accelerator for example) [/B]

Ok, it seems to work now, thanks for the tip. I don’t know what exactly the reason was, but I removed the older burn soft from the HP DVD200i (basically the same apps but HP branded), CloneCD (but I don’t think the ATIP hider was active) and a bunch of other programs, now it works. Maybe it works because DLA is now removed completely…

Michael

Still no go with DVD-R disks.

RNM and Nero burn DVD+R disks perfectly.

But with DVD-R, with RNM I get an error (Sense 5 ASC 20), and Nero still freezes as soon as I press burn. With RNM, after trying several times, it worked once, but I can´t repeat this…

Michael

I had the exact same issue with a Plextor 708A.
It could burn and self identify Ritek G4 -R media, but when Ricoh +R media was used, the plextor would fall off the ide chain, and blink the drives light. If the +R media the Plextor wrote was put in another reader, the media could be read fine - there was just an issue with the Plextor reading the media it had written.

Plextor support confirmed the drive was faulty - RMA time.

L8ters

Bill

Thanks, but the issue with the 811s not reading its own disk has disappeared after reinstalling more or less all the burning software and ASPI.

The problem that remains now is that Nero freezes when I want to burn a DVD-R…

I will investigate an issue with the VIA busmaster drivers (read this on another thread…)

Michael