I took the plunge and bought a 811s, and burning 8x DVD+R (on TDK-branded RICOHJPNR01) works fine, but I found the following problem:
When I insert a disk created in the burner, several programs (DVDInfoPro, Nero, CDSpeed) don’t display the burner anymore. If I eject the disk and start the program again, everything’s back to normal again. The disk is displayed ok in Explorer, and it also shows up in K-Probe (fortunately). When I insert the same disk in any other drive, it works ok and I can run CDSpeed or DVDInfoPro.
Any ideas why this happens? It happens no matter whether I create the disk with Nero or RecordNowMax DX (both latest version/burn engine).
EDIT: disks created with a Pioneer 104 and a HP DVD200i work fine (those disks were created as ISOs, the disks from this burner are UDF/ISO, I think).
Another problem that happened to me was that I couldn’t burn a TDK (TYG01) DVD-R disk for a while. RecordNow displayed an SCSI error, and Nero froze the computer as soon as I hit the burn button. After some fiddling around with ASPI (I now have Adaptec ASPI layer 4.6) RecordNow DX was able to burn the disk (Nero still froze). However, on this disk I cannot even run K-Probe, although it shows up fine in other drives. It seems the disk is not finalized, but I cannot finalize it with Nero because Nero still freezes as soon as I press Burn (after importing the old session), and with RecordNow DX I don’t know how to finalize the disk.
P.S.: Burn quality on 8x burns is great: PI is always below 50 and PO below 5 except for 1-2 spikes (read at max speed)