811S owners

Hi people!
I’ve got the same problem like a guy some treads before, to buy a 411S or a 811S. I read with interest the quite impressive review of the 411S but the 8X burnimg option of the 811S ist more the look to the future so i think.
Does anyone already own the new 811S, so he can definetively report he’s experiences with it and give me a hint ?:slight_smile:
Many thanks

i got one just over a week ago and can say this at the moment its a bit of a let down im having probs finding media that burns at x4 in this drive let alone x8. i know when i got the drive x8 would be a little bit of a wait but so far i can only find 2 brands of dvd-r disks that burn at x4 (and these are more expencive than the disks i normally use)x1 for the others ive tryed and ive got hold of 4 diffrenent x4 +r disks and all will only burn at x2.4. now the thing that gets me is i know the other -dvdrs will burn fine at x4 in a pioneer 105 so all this needs to sort this out is a firmware that supports more media and i have my fingers crossed this will be sooner than later.
having said all this i must say that it burns cdrs great with no probs and it reads dvds way faster than the 105 the way i see it if liton sort out the media prob then this would be the best dvd burner out there but as it stands at the mo whats the point of having a drive that can burn at x8 x4 if u can only burn at x1 or x2.4 ive asked in shops and there all saying i should have got a pioneer 106 as theres no probs with media but i didnt see the 106 as a upgrade over my 105 like i say lets hope liton do something about the media table for this drive and i bet i wont be the only happy 811s owner out there

Originally posted by frosty
i got one just over a week ago and can say this at the moment its a bit of a let down im having probs finding media that burns at x4 in this drive let alone x8.

Try looking for Verbatim Datalife Plus DVD+R. They are rated 4x and burn great at 8x:

i’ll look around ta m8

@frosty: Which FW are you currently using for your 811? Have you tried the HS0E? If not could report back if it helps after you upgrade?

yes first think i did when i had drive because of this problem

I bought the 8x and found it to awesome so far, no problems using different types of media, tried lazer and princo to generic and ridata disks, i will say the ridata dvd+r 4xspeed record at 8x, nice bonus i think.

palms