811's Mediatek Chipset features!.. WHEN!

I think I’d like to see the DVD-Ram, Mount Ranier as well as 8X +/-R speeds!..

Anybody got any insights?

http://cdr-info.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=LiteOn+LDW%2D811S+Dual+DVD+recorder&Series=0

AS READ IN THE FOLLOWING REVIEW ARTICLE AT THIS SITE!

The LiteOn LDW-811S further incorporates (located on the underside of the controller circuit board), a high-speed DVD dual Optical Disk Controller chipset from MediaTek Inc. consisting of two CMOS ultra-scale integrated circuits, the MT1816E and MT1818E. The MT1816E is the front-end analog signal processor and MT1818E is the servo control and Endec IC.

This chipset is suitable for DVD dual drives with both CD/DVD read and CD-R/RW, DVD-R, DVD +RW write functions. The general system specification is 8/8/4/4/48/24/48/16, i.e. DVD+R recording up to 8xS, DVD-R recording up to 8xS, DVD+RW recording up to 4xS, DVD-RW recording up to 4xS, CD-R recording up to 48xS, CD-RW recording up to 24xS, CD-ROM decoding up to 48xS, and DVD-ROM decoding up to 16xS. Moreover, it can support DVD-RAM playback, Mt. Rainier CD-RW/DVD+RW format, and true CAV mode recording functions. In addition, this chipset can support power saving function. Therefore, it can be used for both H/H and Slim drive. In the future, the intended product consists of the enhanced DVD dual drive, Blu-ray drive, AOD drive and Digital Video Recorder (DVR), etc. The enhanced DVD dual chipset can provide system specification of 16/16/8/8/52/32/52/16.

There are some innovative techniques developed in this chipset, including the optical servo control, disk ID & auto calibration, DVD-RAM read signal generator, robust automatic power control system, supporting Mt. Rainier format, MTK-SUPERLinkTM, programmable & flexible write strategy, support LVDS interface and true CAV mode recording technique, etc. Furthermore, since this highly integrated SOC chipset has excellence in system architecture and integration, there is significant cost reduction for the drive makers.

Exactly my sentiments slyder2!

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88440

I emplore everybody to start asking the big questions to LiteOn!

Just because the chipset says that it can support something does not mean the 811S can. Perhaps the rest of the hardware in the system was simply not set up for DVD-RAM reading and/or Mt.Rainer support. There are obviously more components in a DVD writer then the chipset.

The one thing I think is possible though, and that should be added is the 8x -R writing, at least for the drive that advertised it anyway… although because LiteOn fears that the -R 8x writing on a 811S will distract from 812S sales I doubt very much it will be officially supported on the 811S drive. We will have to rely on the LiteOn community for 8x -R writing.

Fair enough… and quite right. .just because its supported in the chipset does not necessarily mean that the design of the unit will support it… although, it does strike me… and I agree, that 8x -r wouldn’t require a change in the hardware and I would have to suppose that Mount Renier wouldn’t either…

Curious question though… if the only difference between the 411/451 and the 811/851 is a change in the pickup (ie: laser) why wouldn’t or couldn’t the Zebramod apply to the 451/851 units?.. Perhaps a stupid question… but then… maybe not. I’m curious on what all the differences are between these units.

As I’ve done the 451@851 mod and write 8x +r without any troubles, what is so different between all the model numbers?..
Anyone know specifically?

Otherwise… Happy Wednesday!

Zebra mod adds the missing calibration data for DVD+ 8x burning to the 411s eeprom.

The 451s eeprom already contains these values. So an eeprom mod is not necessary.

Time will tell. Lots of speculation currently…we just need to keep on it.

When people talk abou the difference’s between the drives they are speaking hardware wise. And indeed the only difference hardware wise it the PUH.
The data stored in the EEPROM/Firmware chip is different though and thus the need for different mods.

I always think it’s funny when you have more and more “speed specs” on a drive… first you have just the CD reading speed, then CDR, then RW, now you have 2 sets for DVD+ and DVD-. What happen when they release two formats of dual layer writing:

4/4/2/2/8/8/4/4/48/24/48/16<- The not-yet-released Liteon dual layer DVD+/-RW CDRWdrive

Originally posted by simbawang
4/4/2/2/8/8/4/4/48/24/48/16<- The not-yet-released Liteon dual layer DVD+/-RW CDRWdrive

Hi, simbawang

I´m new in this… :wink:

Can you point me to the figures representing “dual layer” WRITING?

TIA
:cool:

Edit: apparently NO answer from simbawang. Somebody else…?

I’m pretty sure he was joking. If you want info on dual layer recording, try the search button.

Originally posted by pinto2
[B]Hi, simbawang

I´m new in this… :wink:

Can you point me to the figures representing “dual layer” WRITING?

TIA
:cool:

Edit: apparently NO answer from simbawang. Somebody else…? [/B]

Thax rmunde

:slight_smile:

I was just curious… :cool:

It’s like a pop quiz…
maybe it’s something you need to learn if you want to work in a Optical drive comany.

You see a drive with this spec: 4/4/2/2/8/8/4/4/48/24/48/16
In 3 seconds, point out ->

1. CDRW speed
  2. DVD-R dual layer write speed
  3. DVD+R single layer rewrite speed
    something like that

:stuck_out_tongue:

Or a sadistic grade school math teacher’s exercise.

Originally posted by simbawang
[B]It’s like a pop quiz…
maybe it’s something you need to learn if you want to work in a Optical drive comany.

You see a drive with this spec: 4/4/2/2/8/8/4/4/48/24/48/16
In 3 seconds, point out ->

1. CDRW speed
  2. DVD-R dual layer write speed
  3. DVD+R single layer rewrite speed
    something like that

:stuck_out_tongue: [/B]