811S: LED flashing between RED and OFF

Hi,

I’ve got a big problem with my LiteOn 811S.
When I try burning a disc, the LED keeps flashing between RED and OFF (so there’s no orange LED to be seen). The strange thing is that the problem never happens when I’ve just rebooted my PC. Sometimes I can burn 4 discs before it happens, sometimes 6, …
When burning a DVD with the flashing LED, it takes about 4 to 6 hours to complete a disc, while I selected 4X, and the media are 4X-certified.
When I check my burning-results with kprobe, the discs burned in the bad way are very porely burned.

I have posted this error on several discussion boards, and they always give me the following solutions:

• bad media : not an option, since sometimes, the error occurs on a DVD+RW that usually works, and the Philips +R-media I use aren’t bad either I think.
  • Bad IDE-cable: I used to have a rounded 40-pin-cable, and I’ve switched it with a regular 80-pin-cable.

I’ll give some further information about my system:
P4 2.8GHz (533FSB)
512MB RAM
mobo: MSI 845PE Max2
firmware: HS0P
HD: 2 Maxtor 120GB SATA-drives (8Mb buffer)

these 2 hard disks are placed in 2 separate RAID-arrays.
The LiteOn-drive is the primary master, and IDE-drivers (intel INF) have been installed.

The thing that I find strange is, that when I look at the buffer in Nero, it stas constantly at 20% when burning slowly, and it’s at 100% when burning normally.
screenshot of the buffer (77KB): http://users.pandora.be/bear/nero6buffer.jpg

Any help will be greatly appreciated :wink:

greetz

edit DMA is on, btw.

Originally posted by BlueBear
[B]Hi,

I’ve got a big problem with my LiteOn 811S.
When I try burning a disc, the LED keeps flashing between RED and OFF (so there’s no orange LED to be seen). The strange thing is that the problem never happens when I’ve just rebooted my PC. Sometimes I can burn 4 discs before it happens, sometimes 6, …
When burning a DVD with the flashing LED, it takes about 4 to 6 hours to complete a disc, while I selected 4X, and the media are 4X-certified.
When I check my burning-results with kprobe, the discs burned in the bad way are very porely burned.

I have posted this error on several discussion boards, and they always give me the following solutions:

• bad media : not an option, since sometimes, the error occurs on a DVD+RW that usually works, and the Philips +R-media I use aren’t bad either I think.
  • Bad IDE-cable: I used to have a rounded 40-pin-cable, and I’ve switched it with a regular 80-pin-cable.

I’ll give some further information about my system:
P4 2.8GHz (533FSB)
512MB RAM
mobo: MSI 845PE Max2
firmware: HS0P
HD: 2 Maxtor 120GB SATA-drives (8Mb buffer)

these 2 hard disks are placed in 2 separate RAID-arrays.
The LiteOn-drive is the primary master, and IDE-drivers (intel INF) have been installed.

The thing that I find strange is, that when I look at the buffer in Nero, it stas constantly at 20% when burning slowly, and it’s at 100% when burning normally.
screenshot of the buffer (77KB): http://users.pandora.be/bear/nero6buffer.jpg

Any help will be greatly appreciated :wink:

greetz

edit DMA is on, btw. [/B]

Do you have the intel application accelerator, etc, on?
try uninstalling it. Some users have reported issues.
Also try using standard windows IDE drivers, rather than intel specific.

Have you tried moving the burner to another position on the IDE chain? Ie: switching to secondary master/slave. etc.

Also it’s possible the IDE cable is too long. Maybe try switching to a shorter cable?

Are you using any USB devices when you are burning?
EG usb adsl modem? of even 56k modem? Wireless ethernet? printers? Scanners?
I doubt keyboard or mouse matter.

Is system restore on? Is any antivirus software running, updates? Windows Update?

When this 20% buffer thing happens again, press ctrl+Alt+delete, check cpu usage, and also check processes.

I suspect however that there is some sort of IRQ confilct in the system or the IDE drivers have somehow been corrupted.

Maybe as a last resort, you can try flashing your burner to a new firmware update. But very last.

• IAA is installed. I’ll try uninstalling it

• I don’t think I can use the standard windows-IDE-drivers, because my system is very slow when not using Intel INF-drivers

• switching IDE channel: I’ve allready tried pimary and secondary master, havent tried a slave-setting yet.

• My IDE-cable is as short as possible in my case (45cm I think)

• USB-devices : only a mouse

• system restore and windows update are off, however Norton Anti Virus is running

• firmware => It’s at HS0P, and flashing to a previous version is not really good, or is it?

OK, so I’ll start by uninstalling IAA (and possibly formatting my PC). If that doesn’t help I’ll try the primary and secondary slave-setting.

[B- system restore and windows update are off, however Norton Anti Virus is running

• firmware => It’s at HS0P, and flashing to a previous version is not really good, or is it?

OK, so I’ll start by uninstalling IAA (and possibly formatting my PC). If that doesn’t help I’ll try the primary and secondary slave-setting. [/B]
\

Just ensure that NAV doesn’t do an update while you are burning.
Disable it temporarily.

Flashing back to HS0K may help, it’s the firmware of choice so far. Many people have issues with HS0P. Try HS0K. It won’t hurt your drive. You can always go back up to HS0P if previous firmware isn’t any better.

Try not formatting the PC. You might never figure out why it’s not working right. Again, only as a last resort.

Move the drive around a little on the IDE chains.

Ok, I’ve got the HS0K installed

But I just tried uninstalling IAA, and I got this strange error:
after I rebooted, I got an error (something about “elby drivers” or something similar). It said that some drivers had to be uninstalled, and that my optical drives would disappear, but they would re-appear after another reboot.
well, they didn’t.

So I installed IAA again, and everything is back to “normal”, but I seem to be unable to uninstall IAA…

Any idea what happened there?

I’ve tried all 4 IDE-channels, none seem to work
When I uninstall IAA and use the standard windows-IDE-drivers, writing doesn’t work at all: both buffers keep on filling up and going empty.

I don’t get how other users can write without IAA …

Any other suggestions ? :confused:

Are you running Nero Infotool before you burn??

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84798&highlight=infotool

That thread shows things slowing down if you utilize that tool.

Hope that helps.

[B]Ok, I’ve got the HS0K installed

But I just tried uninstalling IAA, and I got this strange error:
after I rebooted, I got an error (something about “elby drivers” or something similar). [/B]

Elby?
I guess you have installed CloneDVD (or CloneCD)
Maybe you should uninstall it first

Originally posted by genericuser
[B]Are you running Nero Infotool before you burn??

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84798&highlight=infotool

That thread shows things slowing down if you utilize that tool.

Hope that helps. [/B]
Well, i’ve got the EXACT same problem as subscribed in that thread, but I don’t use Nero infotool …

But now I finally succeeded in uninstalling IAA, but the problem remains :frowning:

Hmmmm, perhaps it has something to do with the RAID setup.
(I know that’s not really that helpful, just a comment)

Using the default IDE drivers should not slow down you system a great deal. Especially since your hard drives are running SATA and should be using IDE drivers? (correct me if I’m wrong on that one, I’ve never owned SATA yet).
Curious, have you even tested using default IDE drivers yet?

I did not see mention of your version of Nero. I assume you are using the latest 6.3.0.3?

Have you tried using the bundled RecordNow burning software, if so is the result the same?

My mobo has SATA/RAID which means that if I want to use SATA, I have to put it in a RAID-setup. So at the moment I’ve got 2 RAID striping-arrays. So I don’t think the SATA-HD’s make use of the IDE-drivers. I have considered that the problem might be in the RAID-setup, but I have absolutey no idea on how to test that.

But now I’ve got the IDE-drivers working without IAA. I’ve burned about 6 or 7 discs now, and the error occured just once. I don’t know wether that’s just a coincidence, or an actual improvement.
I’ll do some more testing tomorrow.

As for my recording software: I use Nero 6.3.0.2, RecordNow Max!, and CopyToDVD. I didn’t install the bundeled software yet…

But I was thinking about the media again.
Let’s say I write a movie on a DVD+RW. The burning process works perfectly.
10 minutes later, I write another movie, again, everyting is fine
10 minutes later, I write a third movie, again on that same DVD+RW, and the LED starts flashing, burning is really slow.

That is a situation that actually happened. From that, I concluded that the problem isn’t the media, but is this a correct conclusion?

That is a situation that actually happened. From that, I concluded that the problem isn’t the media, but is this a correct conclusion?

I’m burning from a PATA/Raid0 setup, so it’s unlikely the raid array is the cause.

Secondly, I highly doubt it’s the media.

It’s an issue with windows.

Try updating the drivers for your raid.

Try a full checkdisk scan for your raid array.
I had an issue with the raid array in windows where the system would stop responding for short periods of time.
Caused all sorts of issues.

Checkdisk didn’t find any errors

And as for the drivers :
I’ve got a Promise Fasttrak 376 controller with 1.0.0.14-drivers installed.
The archives of the promise-site don’t work, and I can’t find any newer drivers on the net.

I just uninstalled CopyToDVD which standard installs the patin-couffin driver (something like ASPI, I presume). I don’t think this was the problem, since normally CopyToDVD would be the only software that makes use of these drivers…

but I’m kinda out of ideas…

I’m gonna defragment my partitions tonight, but I don’t think that’s gonna help. No harm in trying though…

Tried the drive on another PC yet?

I had the same Problem with my 811 on a Athlon XP System with VIA KT266. (A complete different System to yours.) The thing I had to do was to change the recording program from Nero to Sonic Record Now, which was in my retail package. After that the problem never returns

I’ve been writing all day now, without errors.

I did three things that may have fixed the problem:

• I uninstalled CopyToDVD 2.4.17, so now the patin-couffin-driver is gone too
  • I did a full checkdisk. No errors wore found…
  • I defragmented my disks

I’m going to keep on writing today, and if all goes well, I’ll reinstall CopyToDVD. If the problem re-occurs then, we’ve found the bug :slight_smile:

Final update:

problem solved:
The patin-couffin engine just messes up my system.

yesterday I burned 20 DVD’s, no failures

Today I reinstalled CopyToDVD (and thus the patin-couffin engine) and it was trouble all over again. 1 DVD burned succesful, next I burned one with CopyToDVD => error, and after that, all other burn programs failed too

Uninstalled CopyToDVD again => no problem at all.

Thanks to everyone for replying :wink:

greetz
BlueBear

Could you please do me a favor and report this to CopyToDVD developper ? They’ll be for sure interested.

Sorry that this piece of software doesn’t work for you…:sad:

Hi,

yes indeed please contact me directly to investigate the problem.
We have version 3 pending, but I need more details to check the problem.

lapinou, I sent you a mail with all the info via your profile

I hope it helps …