811S Good? (manufactured Jan 2004)

Hey all, newbie here, but not in tech stuff, just this group, glad I found it.

Anyway, my dvd replaced my CDR (A sony which died a week or so ago), needed a cd rom, so I figured a DVD burner would be ok.

I got the lite on 811S which writes 8x +R with no problems, in fact it writes +4 at +8 speeds (not sure how it does that…)…

Also, made copies of my movies with no problems using Shrink, then NERO, all movies play fine in my fairly NEW standalone DVD player.

So, being on of those people who usally researches first, is the 811 a good model? It seems to be fine for me, and I noticed that there is a newer version that offers + or - 8X, so the only differenece between mine is it writes only +8 not -8.

Only one or two coasters so far (my error), and the warranty is one year…

Opinions greatly appreciated, also any other drives in that price range too ($150)…

Lastly, for what it’s worth, I’m spoiled already…4.7 is a lot, but I could see how having a 9.xx gig drive would be better…

So, back to my original question, did I do ok getting this drive?
thanks

Depends on who you ask.

Some hates this drive and some loves it.

I’m in between - it have its strong sides and weak sides.

Strong:
Fast and good reader
Fast and good CD-Writer
Good writing quality with most quality DVD media

Weaknesses:
Low writing quality with some cheap DVD media.

That’s the main points - or read my review available from our frontpage for an in-depth view.

Thanks, I did read the review by the way, very in depth.

I’m also trying to figure out the difference between the 811S and the 851S, they seem to have the same specs, so it must be a small change that I can’t find.

Any clue?

Regarding media, I have purchased only name brank so fat, TDK, Memorex, etc, and haven’t had any problems, even a friends immation +4 burned at +8 with no problems.

Oh, also, for what it’s worth, I’m one of those persons that installs the HD as is, lets windows XP SP 1, take over, and depending on the firmware, I leave as is.

e.g., I usally don’t install manufacture drivers or software, especially if I have Nero, or virtual drive, etc, already installed.

It’s also running as Master on mobo IDE…

My 4 hard drives are running on PCI (appears as SCSI) Promise Ultra Tx2 control card so as to leave it nice and free. So I’m not sure if this is why I’ve been so succesful or not, the only thing I’m wondering though is I needed a replacement ASAP and bought it as Best Buy (ug), for 159, and no I can get it cheaper (can always bring it back) via price watch or local vendors…

thoughts on 851 vs 811?

you could have done better and gotten a 401.

401@411@811

ccb056: It’s not 100% as good as a real 811S and it voids the warranty.

Difference between 851s and 811s is a new pickup head = change in firmware required = new model number.

There should not be any noticeable performance differences.

I agree with OC Freak, opinions do differ on this unit me personally have been using one since Nov and I find that it has its good sides and then some bad (firmware especially) I never got on with the HSOK version of hte firmware but many are happy using this version. The latest release HSOP seems to be a headache for a lot of us me included.

I am sure with time you will learn to love it.

so if there a such small differences between the 851 and the 811 the it may be possible to get a 811@812 then

HBK burner got the need for speed
6X all dvd media -r +rw -rw +r

do a search for my posts

Originally posted by HBK
[B]so if there a such small differences between the 851 and the 811 the it may be possible to get a 811@812 then

do a search for my posts [/B]

It may be possible, but it wil not be easy, and will not happen quickly. The hardware differences make it difficult. It is more likely that the 451/851@812 will happen…

Originally posted by HBK
[B]so if there a such small differences between the 851 and the 811 the it may be possible to get a 811@812 then

do a search for my posts [/B]

I don’t know if I’d call a PUH a “small” difference, given that’s the primary component. It may have little effect in the overall specs, but it does have a big effect on the workings of the underlying hardware.

From my understanding on the matter the PUH information is used when writing the firmware. Therefore 811S has a totally different firmware then the 812S, hence making it much more difficult to mod. The 851S on the other hand has firmware that will closer match the 812S (or the other way around depending on how you look at it).