811s giving horrible results on kprobe

I’m hoping someone can help me troubleshoot this issue. I’ve burned through many CMC media that’s given really good results. I got a new batch of RICHOJPNRO1 discs, but the results are horrendous!

I’m using firmware HSOQ.

Below is the discinfo from kprobe

Disc Type DVD+R
Book Type DVD+R
Manufacturer Ricoh Company Limited
Media ID RICOHJPNR01
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 4.38 GB
Free Size 0.00 GB
Free Blocks 0
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 6.0x
Maximum Write Speed 8.0x
Current Write Speed 4.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 8.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 6.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 3 4.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 4 2.4x CLV

What brand? Try HS0K…

Brand of dvd+R?

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RICOHJPN-R01-002]

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
Manufacturer Name : [Ricoh Company Ltd.]
Media Type ID : [R01]
Product Revision : [002]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]

Trying HS0K now … anything else I should pay attention to? I just rebooted the computer and burn.

Oh one question, is kprobe only for movies? Or does it work with anime videos burnt is data?

thanks, much appreciated!

Yes. Hope it’s a better result. You still haven’t said what the brand name of the media is. TDK, Memorex, Imation, Fuji, Ricoh, Ritek…

Any disc that has data on it can be scanned by KProbe.

oh sorry, it’s ritek. So no matter what type of data is burnt, it should yield good results?

Theoretically, yes…

I updated the firmware to HS0K with the omnipatcher and the updated writing strategies. It was burned at the lowest speed, 2.4X.

Results looks worse … :frowning:

With my 811S w/ HSOK firmware, I get these KProbe results (scanned at max speed because I get tons of errors at 4x for some reason… 1x & Max Speed work fine)

Disc burned at 8X using Nero Burning Rom v6.3.1.17

Disc Info

Drive Type = DVD DUAL
Disc Type = DVD+R (Single Layer)
Disc MID = 52 49 43 4F 48 4A 50 4E (RICOHJPN)
Disc TID = 52 30 31 (R01)
Nominal Capacity = 4.38GB
Manufacturer Maybe = Ricoh Company Limited
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 8.0X

These discs are sold as Ridata 4x DVD+R from Newegg.com

Shame because R01 burns worse at 2.4x speed. It’s a good rule to never burn +R media below it’s rated speed. You’ll have to try one at 4x now, to know what it can really be like…

Same disc as above scanned at 4x (also updated KProbe, but the results are the same as with v1.1.29)

Thanks – I bought my disks from newegg as well.

Can you send me your .bin file for the HS0K firmware or a link to it? THe HS0K firmware was edited with omnipatcher.

Also, what speed did you burn it at and can you provide some quick instructions on how you burned it with nero?

much much appreciated. I just hope it’s not my burner.

Will do, I’ll post results after the 4x burn. Thanks for the suggestion.

bump for the morning group – I’ll post 4x results later tonight.

I uploaded HS0K to my web account and PMed you the link.

viper: yup, got it. Thanks!

Anyone have any suggestions on what else I can try? Does it matter if my computer has been on for days. Although before the burn, I did reboot the system.

Any help is much appreciated.

That’s a terrible kprobe scan you have there - I’m particularly concerned about the PIF which is unusually high across the disc. Try using DVDInfoPro and run a disc scan for read errors - Wouldn’t be surprised if you have errors on this disc.

I use RICOHJPNR01 as well, but brands like Maxell and Memorex. I find that the memorex produce the best results.

My computer is open 24/7, no it does not matter. Try using other brands, to rule out any problems with your drive. You could very well have a bad batch. Avoid burning at 2.4x - I even saw some RICOHJPNR01 based discs have yellow stickers on them warning that there may be problems and high error counts on some drives when burnt at 2.4. I always burn at 4x and always allow 15-30 minutes of rest time between burns.

Are you labeling your discs by any chance ? Avoid that as well.

I’m getting similar kprobe results with my 811s. pastrami, did you find any better results with the HS0K firmware?

Thanks

Not trying to challenge you but I am using my Lite_On 411S@811S all the time some times burning 10 DVD disc with 1-2 minutes interval time and using lable in every sigle of them without ever having problem. One must look in to its computer system integrity and compatability for these type problem.

Ok, I’m no expert or anything, just a newb, but I’ve been having the same issues with the standard 811s (not 411/811) and have looked everywhere for a solution about this ritek RICOHJPNR01 4x read issue. From what I’ve gathered, it seems like the 811s is unable to read at 4x using kprobe2, period. It doesn’t matter what firmware, or write strategy, or auto bitsetting, or hack, nothing works.

Some people say they have the magic touch and can get good results with ritek RICOHJPNR01 and the 811s (not 411/811). But they never say what exactly they did to get it to work. So it’s still a mystery.

I posted about this issue a few days ago with some good responses from people, check it out. http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=111402

It has to be something with the drive or kprobe. Not to say there is something wrong with the 811s and RICOHJPNR01 because kprobe is not perfect. The verdict is still out in my option.

Also, from what I’ve seen, the 411/811 and the 811s are two completely different drives as far as the 4x read kprobe results as concerned. I have never seen these two drives have similar results, EVER, even though everyone says they are the “same”. They are not the same IMO.

The bottom line is, if you read your disks at 1, 2, 6, 8, 16, max, the readings are decent, only at 4x the 811s is messed up. Some people say that it’s the 4x CLV is the culprit, but that wouldn’t explain why 1x, 2x read would work in kprobe, and not 4x. (1x ,2x ,4x ,6x) They all use CLV, right? Or maybe 4x just sucks and we should all just get over it……

I highly recommend someone posting results with the Nero CDSpeed and DvdInfoPro and use the ritek RICOHJPNR01. If the 811s gives good results at 4x read, then I would say that we are ok with the 811, and it’s just an issue with kprobe2.

Plus, most people say to take the kprobe2 results with a grain of salt:)