811s Assistance

vbimport

So I recently purchased the lovely 811s and went to backup some movies using DVD Shrink and Nero 6 Ultra on my 1066 Celeron (OC’d from 800), 1GBRam@133Mhz, XP Pro equipped PC using TDK 4X DVD-R discs. I thought TDK made quality discs but first problem was that they only show up in Nero as 1X discs :frowning: Second problem is that I’ve now burned 4 discs with small portions of “fragmented” audio and video and one coaster :frowning: So if any of these fixes don’t work I’ll be taking that 15 spindle back! I mean burning at 1X I could have handled if they were nice high quality discs but when they’re fragmenting on me I just :a

Thanks to this lovely forum :bow: :iagree: I found out about and will install tonight the HSOQ firmware and check out this Kprobe software to see just how bad the first discs were and if the new firmware improves on the new discs.

Is there anything else I should be doing? Should I just forget the TDK’s and by something like DVD-R 4X RITEK SILVER MATTE - RIDATA BRAND? They’re Grade A G04… :confused: I keep hearing good and bad things about Ritek on here so I’m not sure if they’re good or not…?

Any help is appreciated :iagree:

Thanks,

Jason

OK I just read this thread which made me worry as they point to how crappy firmware “Q” is!? I just upgraded it! Those 4X TDK’s are now showing as 2X :confused: which is an improvement I guess…? But that thread has me worried I did the wrong thing…

I ran the KProbe and got what looks like pretty crappy results (not that I have a clue what any of it means but those numbers look HIGH :eek: ) I read through the tutorial for KProbe but I have no idea what any of those terms mean so… :confused: Any help here would be appreciated…

Disc Type DVD-R
Book Type DVD-R
Manufacturer TDK Corporation
Media ID TTG01
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 3.12 GB
Free Size 0.00 GB
Free Blocks 0
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 5.0x
Maximum Write Speed 2.0x
Current Write Speed 2.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 2.0x CLV

VID LITE-ON
PID DVDRW LDW-811S
F/W Revision HS0Q
Date Code 2004/04/12 14:33
FlashROM Manufacturer ID C2
FlashROM Device ID 38
FlashROM Type MXIC(MX29LV081)(+3.3V)
Region 1
Vendor Resets Available 4
User Resets Available 4
RPC Scheme RPC II
Burst Rate 24.65 MB/S

SmartBurn gave me this info as well:
Drive Type = DVD DUAL
Disc Type = DVD-R (Single Layer)
Disc MID = 54 54 47 30 31 00 (TTG01.)
Disc TID = 00 00 00 00 00 00 (…)
Nominal Capacity = 4.38GB
Manufacturer Maybe = TDK Corporation
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 2.0X (Write)

Jason

Here’s the ATER/ATER:

first and most important: do they play in your dvd player? if so the scans mean bubkiss.

my 811 is ok for writing but really crappy for scanning so that may also be the case for you.

i would check the media forum and search for the media code you have there and see what other peoples experience is.

and try some other media… i just saw a newegg ad in my pc world and the ritek -r media was like 39.99 for a 50 pack or check staples/bestbuy or officemax for a deal on some media.

aud19,

FYI, I’ve TDK +RW (4x speed) and they are 100% operational and bug free on my HS0Q 811S.

Do the PI/PO scan @ 4X CLV. That Max. CAV graph you posted does NOT tell anything to us.

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

I’ll re-run the PI/PO scan at 4X when I get home from work tonight and post those findings. Should I redo the ATER/ATER scan at 4X as well?

cnlson, 4 of the five discs do play in my Denon 1600 though with a few small audio/video glitches :frowning: Are ocassional, small glitches the norm and nothing to really worry about? Are they signs of bad burns that likely won’t last the long haul? The other one simply said something along the lines of “this player doesn’t recognize this format”. Granted that could be my fault as I’m 99% sure I did everything the same but that last disc was burned late at night, after a long day and not much sleep the night before so… :bigsmile:

Is the “media code” you said to search for the Media ID: TTG01?

Sorry guys I’m new to all this stuff and not really up on all the “lingo” :o

I’m in Canada and http://www.blankmedia.ca/ seems to have some of the best pricing I’ve seen, plus no provincial sales tax! :iagree: I’ll likely be ordering from them shortly and those DVD-R 4X RITEK SILVER MATTE - RIDATA BRAND are looking promising but I’d hate to toss the TDK’s I bought… :confused:

Jason

I do not care about ATER scan. Just want to see the PI/PO values when scanned @ Constant Linear Velocity.

The glitches ARE usually sign of poorely burned media & I suspect the discs ARE poorely burned because of lack of their media codes in firmware. That means Generic Write Strategy was used; its result are usually bad burns in case of LiteON DVD RW drives.

After finding some other people with the same problem, that’s the conclusion I’ve come too as well…

I’ve been looking around for a “recommended media” list for the 811s. Forgive me if there’s one out there I couldn’t find it. Do you know where I can find what media the 811s supports. I realize even if the drive recogniizes it there’s still a risk of a bad burn but I think finding media the drive at leasts supports is a good place to start. At least until/if Liteon releases an updated firmware.

Jason

I just ordered these Ritek DVD-R 4x G04’s from NewEgg. Scanned good for me using HSOQ firmware and plays without a hitch.

That’s a lovely scan Psychtrip :stuck_out_tongue: :iagree: (Ithink anyways…well compared to mine… :a ) Perhaps I’ll give those a shot from blankmedia.ca…

BTW, I sent an email off to Liteon enquiring about FW updates, recommended media etc and here’s the response i got:

Firmware updates are always being developed, however there are no definite dates when they are going to be released.

-Make sure you are using supported writing software for the write function ie Nero Burning ROM or Sonic MyDVD. You can download a copy of Nero Burning Rom from http://www.nero.com If you are using Nero software, please visit their website at www.nero.com for further support.
-Ensure that the drive is not connected to a PCI IDE controller because performance and or detection issues may occur. Connect the drive directly to the motherboard IDE controller.
-Have all Windows OS updates and updated system/motherboard/chipset drivers downloaded.
-Disable packet writing software ie DirectCD, INCD, etc… Packet writing software could interfere with the burning process if it polls the drive while it is burning. Also have all unnecessary programs shutdown prior to burning because the write process is CPU intensive and requires most of the system resources.

LDW-811S Recommended Media List:

-DVD+R : CMC, MCC, PRODISC, RICOH, Ritek, SONY, TYUDE
-DVD+RW : CMC, Daxon, Daxon, Imation, MCC, PHILIPS, RICOH, RITEK, Sony
-DVD-R : BeAll, CMC, DAXON, DVSN, Fornex, GSC, Imation, LeadData, Maxell, Mitsubishi, NANYA, Pioneer, PRINCO, Prodisc, RITEC, Ritek, SKC, Sony
-DVD-RW : CMC, Mitsubishi, PRINCO, RITEK

Jason

Just ordered a 10 pack of DVD-R 4X RITEK SILVER MATTE - RIDATA BRAND. If they work well I’ll be ordering the 50 spindle… fingers crossed.

Jason

These are from a 50 pack DVD-R 4X RITEK SILVER MATTE g04’s from newegg. The firmware is omnipatched HSOQ, best burns I have had to date. Hope you have good luck with them. No error correction done to the scans. DVD Shrink to encode, DVD Decrypter to burn at 4x.

Media Information                            

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID RITEKG04
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name LETHAL_WEAPON3
Application id
Implementation id DVD Shrink
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 6/15/2004 17:21:41
Format Capacity 4.01GB(4.31GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 08
2x Speed OPC power 12
2x Write Strategy field 1 11 86 67 80
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 06
4x Speed OPC power 19
4x Write Strategy field 1 0A 0B 09 01
4x Write Strategy field 2 99 05 0C 0B
4x Write Strategy field 3 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 04
4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 1D
4x Write Strategy field 4 18 A8 88 85
4x Write Strategy field 5 89 AC 88 80 00 00
4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 20152Fh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

Well here’s my 4X scan of the TDK…looks pretty bad to me. Sort of a moot point though as they have been returned for a full refund :bigsmile: I may stop afterwork tomorrow and pick up a couple singles of different brands to test out which one’s the best on my drive. Or I may just wait for the one’s I ordered…

Anyways, thanks for your help guys :bow: Steep learning curve but I’ve learnt a TON of stuff in the last couple days and it’s all thanks to you guys :iagree:

Jason

Bad bad…
POs are within specs, but PI rise up to 600 - that is the point, where most players start to have problems:-(

i wrote a mail to tdk to ask what is the dye they use for their media…

here is the answer…

(i chopped the begin cause it’s not related…)

The dye types for the DVD media are not guaranteed; the DVD media is tested and made to the specifications of the appropriate standards (eg, DVD-R General v. 2.0 for the DVD-R media). The packaging, materials, part numbers, etc, are subject to change.

Thank You
Media Support Department
TDK Electronics Corporation.

So for TDK it means that you can have very different media quality… What i don’t like…

i tested Emtec and maxell with the 811, they are perfect…

You may want to try Verbatim (made by Mitsubishi). Both DVD-R (4X) and DVD+R (4X and also 8X) give me constantly best results I’ve ever had!! Even better than Taiyo Yuden.
Your scan of that TDK “is not so bad” if we consider that generic write strategy was used. I think when you use these Verbatims you will be suprised how good can scans look like! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah I’ll likely go after work tonight and pick up some singles or small pack of Verbatim. It’’ be interesting to compare the KProbe scans of them vs. the Riteks I ordered. Is there a way to ensure I get Mitusbishi Verbatims? Is that the only kind of Verbatim discs or like everyone else do they have some from one company and some from others?

I also have another probelm…my NAV started locking up my comp last night and I can’t un-installl it either as it just freezes in the process. Unless I figure something out it looks like a format and fresh XP install is in my future… I guess the glass half full side of that is that the fresh install will be good for nero etc…

On a good note Costco didn’t even ask anything when I returned the TDK’s they were just like “ya ok, here’s your money”…lol

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Jason

is the real time file check enabled in your nav ? …

if yes, you probably have a i/o disk bottelneck.
If you can run task manager, kill the process, then clean your pc (old files, fragment, registry, spyware,…), then restart nav. Maybee it will run better…

I have a 25pcs cake box and it has written “A MITSUBISHI CHEMICAL COMPANY” on it. Then, of course, when you put it in your drive and check media code; it should start with MCC…
I’ve seen some Verbatim media from CMC but it was about half year ago (and they were DVD-R but 2X), nevertheless be carefull!