811s>2versions?

oem and retail?just wanna clear this up,especially regarding firmware updates-

newegg just added this retail version (for a dollar more)after i purchased the oem version.is there a difference aside from nocables,extras,etc. and thx:) All products > CD/DVD Burners (RW Drives) > LITE ON > N82E16827106923
Lite On Beige DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model LDW-811S, OEM Bulk Pack
Specifications:
Write Speed: 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 4X DVD-R, 2X DVD-RW, 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW
Read Speed: 40X CD-ROM, 12X DVD-ROM
Interface: EIDE/ATAPI
Buffer: 2 MB
OS Support: Windows 98/Me/2000/XP
Features: SMART-BURN avoiding Buffer Under Run error, VAS to reduce vibration & noise during recording & reading
Remark: OEM pack (see pictures for details)

Model# LDW-811S
Item# N82E16827106923

All products > CD/DVD Burners (RW Drives) > LITE ON > N82E16827106924
Lite On DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model LDW-811S, Retail
Specifications:
Write Speed: 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD-R, 4X DVD+RW, 2X DVD-RW, 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW
Read Speed: 40X CD-ROM, 12X DVD-ROM
Interface: ATAPI / E-IDE
Buffer: 2MB
OS Support: Windows XP/2000/Me/98SE
Features: SMART-BURN avoiding Buffer Under Run error, VAS to reduce vibration & noise during recording & reading
Remark: Retail Box (see pictures for details)

Model# LDW-811S RETAIL
Item# N82E16827106924

Chances are, when ordering from newegg, the OEM version will be just like a retail drive, but without the box and packaging.

For $1 more you get a DVD+RW and DVD+R disc, both 4X. A good deal for just one dollar more. I just ordered one to replace my 411S.

sometimes the OEM lacks the headphone jack and volume.

I got the impression with my retail 411S, that the drive was put in a box and a matchin,g sticker was put on the outside with the manufacture date and serial number. The box was never sealed, but the media and software inside was sealed. Either way, my 411S has worked very well, and flawlessly on Memorex discs. I hope my 811S, arriving next week, will be even better.

why arent they shipping black bezel drives yet? This is strange

The 811s only has an dvd+rw 4X in the retail package. It lacks the dvd+r disc

Originally posted by Jay Sea

I’d go back to where you bought your retail 811S and demand your 4x dvd+r disc. My retail 811s had both 4x dvd+rw and dvd+r, both ricoh I believe. European standards maybe different but in the US, I’d be suspicious if you only received a dvd+rw disc.

Here in the States, I got one 4x DVD+R and one 4x DVD+RW media (I was expecting a 8x DVD+R disc :a ). On top of that I got PowerDVD XP, Sonic MyDVD and DVDXCopy Express… Not a bad software bundle but should of included Nero 6 or some other CD/DVD mastering software…

Not a bad bundle for the 811S…

jeez,i got jipped:)

but I got a verbatim dvd-r 2X for €1,40 which would cost a lot more normally so I don’t think it’s relevant.

Originally posted by Jay Sea

Got the dvd+rw too; dvd+r wasn’t in the box!
Dutch standards? Or just NAVO standards?

Well looking on the retail box and included documentation, it doesnt say much about whats included other than MyDVD and PowerDVD software…

Guess its region related and/or store related if you get other software and media with your retail box…