811: which firmware for Ritek DVD-R?

Heya,

I did some browsing and searching but can’t find a definitive answer to this question: which firmware version should I use with my Liteon 811s so I can burn Ritek DVD-R meda?

I got the big ol’ 50-pack from NewEgg, excited about the positive reviews: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-315&depa=0

However, I haven’t succeeded in getting my 811s to even RECOGNIZE one of them. I’ve tried half a dozen from the pack.

I’ve tried 3 different firmware versions – the original (can’t recall), HSOP (which I’ve read is dodgy), and HSOE (which is supposed to be good).

Who is having success at this, and what firmware are you using?

Thanks!

try holding down the shift key upon inserting the blank

this works on by anus blanks whoops an31 blanks there should be call anus becase they are SH1T

HBK liteon got the need for speed (checks out some of my post)

6x MAX for dvds -r +r +rw -rw

Have a try at everything found in the following:
FAQ: My optical drive doesn’t recognize discs (like they should be)…

Originally posted by Ssseth
Have a try at everything found in the following:
FAQ: My optical drive doesn’t recognize discs (like they should be)…

Thanks for the link, I will try messing with the master/slave settings, IDE cables, disabling IMAPI, etc. Not too hopeful on those though, because my problems seem to fall under the “Drive seems to work ok, but it doens’t see a certain type of media” category. My drive works fine with the most media I’ve tried – TDK DVD+R & DVD+RW, CompUSA DVD-R (crappy 1x ones), Memorex DVD-R.

I had a batch of Princo DVD-R’s, these seemed to be on the edge. They mostly worked, but sometimes it took a hella long time to recognize the disks. Plus I hated the glossey white top of the Princo’s.

Now I have $50 worth of Riteks, and would like to be able to use them

Any further suggestions welcome. BTW, I tried the shift-key trick as well, didn’t help.

HSOK
I burn RITEK 4x minus all the time
and never any problems.
(and verbatim plus 4x at 8x)

i use hsok and it burns ridata -4 fine it was the only frimware i got to work well with the 811, it works great for me this way

HS0K is nice because you can use bit setting on +R discs.
But if you only use -R media and aren’t worried about bit setting at the moment then HS0E is quite good as well :iagree:

I thought HS0P was the best for DVD-R… or was it for the DVD-R and bitsetting for DVD+R combo ?

From my experience HS0E is best for -R…

Originally posted by thibouille
I thought HS0P was the best for DVD-R… or was it for the DVD-R and bitsetting for DVD+R combo ?

You’ve got it. I still prefer HS0E for -R. HS0P would be best for what you mentioned above.

Thanks everyone for your answers. Very helpful community.

Has anyone ever experienced a whole spindle of bad riteks?

At this point I’ve tried every firmware available now, and so far I’ve only got ONE ritek DVD-R to burn - that was on HSOK, and apparently it was a one-shot deal, because if failed to even recognize the next half-dozen Ritek’s I inserted.

So, I’ve done four different firmwares, trying at least a half a dozen different blank riteks with each firmware. I have either a bum spindle or Riteks, or a quirky 811 that has something against Ritek media (it still works fine with every other brand I’ve tried).

I have no personal experience but Ritek quality is known to vary considerably from brand to brand and from batch to batch.

That’s also the reason why I stay with Taiyo Yuden and Ricoh media btw.

Originally posted by acl
[B]Thanks everyone for your answers. Very helpful community.

Has anyone ever experienced a whole spindle of bad riteks?

[/B]

Yes I have. One 25 spindle of white printable ritek G04 all failing after 4Giga whereas the Traxdata, also G04, succeeded unmistakably.
I have since the switched to Taiyo Yuden for -R and Ricoh R01 for +R but still hold Traxdata my highr esteem.

SSETH

Hello and keep on the good work

Originally posted by Ssseth
You’ve got it. I still prefer HS0E for -R. HS0P would be best for what you mentioned above.

wOOt!

My poor LDW-811 is going blind, from all the flashing I’ve been doing in the last few days :expressionless:

I found HS0P to be the (personal) best for my ritek DVD-R.

I managed to get 3 in a row with ecstatically good results. Doesn’t happen often, so might stick it out (with HS0P) till I run out of riteks :slight_smile:

DVD+R on HS0P sucks sphincters though, so once the riteks are gone, going back to HS0K :slight_smile:

Originally posted by debro
DVD+R on HS0P sucks spincters though

Oh hell yes you got that right! Well that’s the case for me anyway. I can’t get a single good DVD+R burn on HSOP but with HSOK the same DVD+R’s burn superbly.

Weshy.