811 and 851 crap?

vbimport

first i want to buy the 851 or the nu tech.

then i read in this forum http://technik.movie2digital.de that the liteon burners are very crap.but very positive results for the nu tech.

how is your experince with the lite on?

Had bot there CD writers and DVD rom drives and have constantly had good results.

I had an 811s for a very short while. On three media brands, CMC, BeAll, & Ritek04 I got bad Kprobe scores and unreadable disks on every DVD-ROM and DVD stand-alone I and my friends have.

I RMA’d that sucker and bought a NEC 2500 and “all” the media, including the CMC, writes fine and is readable on even the pickiest player.

Although Lite-On is well known for thier CD writers being very good for the price, ( I have a couple) thier DVD writers, as far as I’m concerned, are not worth buying.

You end up spending more money trying to find acceptable media that the burner decides it likes than any savings buying the cheaper drive in the first place.

The NEC 2500 actually was cheaper and the write quality is amazing.

You can obviously interpret my recomendation and opinion of Lite-On.

I have 811s just for a couple of weeks now. burnt only some 10 DVDs. all of them el-cheapo AN32 (one of the worst judging from opinions on the forum). despite of bad K-Probe results all are perfectly readable also on stand alone players (3 different ones). although one of disks freezes in 4 places for a fraction of a second towards the end. still, it could be read to the hard disk with no flaws.

I have both the drives here (but not looked fully into the nu tech yet)

Nu-tech:
+Outstanding DVD-Write quality
+FAST at almost everything it supports
-Low CD-R write quality
-Low CD-RW write quality
-Low CD-R and CD-RW media compatibility.
+Fast at music ripping
-Do not support reporting C2 errors.
-Do not support writing DVD-R/RW writing (the beta firmwares for DVD-R/RW is not good).

Lite-On:
-Requires quality media to get good write quality.
+Good CD-R write quality on most discs
+FAST at almost everything it supports
+Fast at music ripping
+Supports most small features and techniques (C2 error reporting, Correct EFM encoding, reading data from lead in and out).

If you want the best writer for DVD+R discs then go for the NU-TECH. But if you also want to write CD-R discs the NU TECH is not the best option.

Hi,

My previous post about my dissapointment with 811s has been censored!!! on this forum so I’ll try again. 811s is bad DVD burner. It’s very picky when it goes for a media. I was not able to find any DVD-R media on which it would burn without problems. Even on the media, which it likes (mostly +R Ritek) it burns very badly. If I want the DVD to be viewable on any DVD player than I have to burn it with a speed of 2x which makes its 8x clearly theortical.

Also CDs burned on this hardware at max speed are not readable afterwards by itself!!!

I don not recommend it to anybody. I’ll get rid of if.

Best regards,
O’Gryzek.

Originally posted by O’Gryzek
[B]Hi,

My previous post about my dissapointment with 811s has been censored!!! on this forum so I’ll try again. 811s is bad DVD burner. It’s very picky when it goes for a media. I was not able to find any DVD-R media on which it would burn without problems. Even on the media, which it likes (mostly +R Ritek) it burns very badly. If I want the DVD to be viewable on any DVD player than I have to burn it with a speed of 2x which makes its 8x clearly theortical.

Also CDs burned on this hardware at max speed are not readable afterwards by itself!!!

I don not recommend it to anybody. I’ll get rid of if.

Best regards,
O’Gryzek. [/B]

You must have got a bad drive or something as my experiences is not that bad.

O’Gryzek,

Nothing theoretical about 8X burns on my LiteOn 811S. Works every time.

And I’ve had good success with several different types of -R discs. If you couldn’t find one that worked, you didn’t look very hard.

IMHO, the LiteOn gives good results with good media, and it’s getting better with each firmware release. The fact that mine started out as a humble 401S simply reinforces my opinion that it’s a bargain burner.

YMMV

Ive burned over 100 dvds now on both formats at varying speeds and havent had a single coaster yet.

Ive had mixed results with my LiteOn 811S… Ive solved most of the problems with firmware updates but the drive still doesnt burn that great…

I give the LiteOn 811S a poor score for DVD writing, Good CD writing and Good Copy Protection copying, Bittsetting support… These 4 areas are important to me… Shame it lacks in the most important function, DVD burning…

If you look around, theres really no all-in-one drive thats going to do everything you want… So its up to you want you need the most…

My experiences on LiteOn 451@851

+Fast and Good CD-R/RW burning
+Fast and Good DVD+R/RW burning, it have no problem to burning cheap media

• Not very compatible on DVD-R/RW particular on PC with old VIA chipsets (that 's true for my case with most burning tools. Nevertheless, I can burn DVD-R/RW using Easy CD Creator)

Also heard that the NU do not support DVD-R/RW well with firmware patch.

It seems that NEC has better support on both +/- media, but the CD-R/RW burning speed is much lower than LiteOn and that’s the main reason I select LiteOn.