811 -> 851, worth it?

Hey,

I own LDW-811S, but I have a chance to replace it with LDW-851S. My burner works fine, i guess - problems with minus media, but not much more than that… Question is, is it worth to replace it with 851S? Does it have less probs with - media?

Besides, it seems like 851 has more upgradability than 811s…

:confused:

Thanks!

p.s. i did try to search on that already, so I do know 851s has differen puh and stuff, but question is, how do they compare in long term, and is it worth the trouble to replace theoretically older model with newer one…

If you are concerned about the possibility of upgrading (overclocking) the drive later then you might want to get the 851S. Otherwise there is no real tangable advantage that I have seen.

If you can replace it for free, then it is a MAYBE. If you need to pay money for it and 811 is working fine like you said, i would say NO.

My guess is that PUH on 811s may not be best design/quality, that is why LiteOn switch to 851 and continue to use same hardware on 812s. Either that or LiteOn try to save money if new PUH is cheaper to make. Remember, 811s is same hardware as 401/411 which were rushed to come out back then cause they were behind other competitors. Also, if history taught us anything, newer generation drive from LiteOn tends to be better than older generation anyway.

I would get the 851 because isnt Liteon supposed to be dropping support for the x11 drives?

Originally posted by ccb056
I would get the 851 because isnt Liteon supposed to be dropping support for the x11 drives?

ATm it’s only speculation from rimmer66.