80cfm+ 92mm fans

vbimport

A 92mm x 25mm 12V DC fan in my case is dying. The problem is, it has a throughput of 81CFM(!) plus it has a temperature sensor built directly into the middle of the fan. Any ideas where to buy such a fan??? No one has such fans.

Have you tried at alternate.de ?

They have SilverStone FM92 92x92x25 with 137.6 m3/h – giving 81 cfm.

Thank you for helping! Yes, I have seen that one. It’s the only 92mm fan having 80cfm I have seen. But it doesn’t have a temperature sensor built right into the middle of the fan for automatic regulation.

I’m not sure if these are available there but thermal take makes fans with temperature sensors. Its a remote sensor but I would think that would be better. Instead of taking temperature at the fan which is going to be the coolest place in the case due to the air flow over it, you can temp readings from inside the case.
Alternatively, have you seen if your motherboard supports temp based fan speed control (using speedfan, mb5 etc)?

I seriously doubt that the fan has ever been close to 80 CFM, or you’d be deaf. Suggest replacing it with a nice quiet high-flow constant speed fan.

http://www.casecooler.com/panaflow92mm.html

But if you want a thermal sensing fan, THIS one will do just fine.

Forgot link
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/2005/dcfans/smartfan/a202829.htm

Go for Panaflo (NMB-MAT)
http://www.dorothybradbury.co.uk/
//Danne

Many thanks everyone! I was at work and haven’t seen the amount of reaction. he background: I have a big machine (965P, Core 2 Duo), which is really big, and a small one, which is really small (Celeron) :). That small one is a DELL, which seems to have a very special fan. I just thought to restore the PC as it was if possible.

If it’s not possible then I will build in another solution from your suggestions. But anyway, that’s why I thought to ask for the sensor plus the unsual combination of 92m and 80cfm on the replacement, to try to keep it as it was. I guess dying fan has real 80cfm because it’s not like a PC fan. It’s more like a monster turbine or something. It’s the CPU and case fan in one, and it cools the CPU at the end (the end!) of a heat pipe… :eek:

I will closely look at all your suggestions and come back after that.

PS: I saw a BOEING logo at one of the shops. I don’t know if they make fans or not but I guess those would be able to cool a Dimension 2400, wouldn’t they. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

It’s the CPU and case fan in one, and it cools the CPU at the end (the end!) of a heat pipe…

Uh-oh.

It may have some unusual temp settings that a case fan does not. Case fans are usually set for lower temps. (lower temp will make it go faster) CPU thermal-controlled fans often use higher temps for controlling the speed.
I’d suggest going to Dell for an exact replacement, or just get a big constant-flow fan like the Panaflo High That particular fan has an RPM sensor, and is suitable for use on a fan controller.

It would help if you gave the exact model of Dell system you use. Dell tend to use proprietary parts like power supplies and bespoke motherboards (i.e. you can’t buy them off the shelf) so you it’s likely this fan isn’t available from a store – only available to OEM suppliers.

CDan: I see, so this means that if my new fan was a case fan it would eventually run almost always at too high/full speed. Although being a 92mm, 80cfm and built-in-sensor fan too. If so, then I have only one question left about the Panaflo solution. The Dell PC has no RPM signal processing at all. The Panaflo seems to be a great fan indeed, but it has an RPM sensor. Can it be used without having RPM sending/receiving electronics on the mainboard? Is it always running at full speed then?

TigerZai: It’s a very small PC but great for having a still pretty fast second computer for keeping a LAN up and running at home: Dimension 2400 with intel 845GV chipset and Celeron 2.40GHz cpu. The fan is made by Nidec.

The RPM sensing is the 3rd wire, you don’t need it. But if the fan plugs into the motherboard on a 3-wire socket, there may well be speed sensing ability there.

But yes, if you use a thermal-controlled case fan, it may just run full blast all the time due to the warmer air coming off the CPU cooler. You can use a fan controller, (there are tons of them available), to slow the fan down if it’s too loud. But the Panaflo fans are far and away the quietest fans around.

OK, I can see clear now. Many thanks again! I didn’t even know that manufacturer. I guess I will get a Panaflo. So thanks to DiiZzY as well. It won’t be the SilverStone as it changes its form from 92mm to a bigger size so it wouldn’t fit in the holding mechanism of the heat pipe. It also won’t be the Thermalrake since it has no advanced bearing technology. :cool:

The only thing left that bugs me is that the Thermaltake has 80CFM+ written on the label the Panaflo is a lot less. Is it really possible that Nidec, which is a very trustworthy as far as I know, says 80CFM but the fan actually can’t move that amount of air???

CFM = noise.

Most CPU coolers use something like 30CFM 80mm fans, so you can see that you’ve got a real screamer there. My hunch is that it normally runs at 20-25 CFM. IF 40-60 CFM doesn’t cool it, nothing will. With sustained 100% CPU loads, it might get up to 40-50 CFM, you’d be the best judge of that. It’s really a matter of how much noise you’re willing to put up with. 80 CFM will be so loud you can’t hear the TV in the next room.

My experience has been that Panaflo fans are WAY quieter than the others, even with equal CFM ratings. Most of them have a growl or whine type bearing noise, Panaflo has none of that.

You won’t hurt anything, if the CPU gets too hot it’ll shut down. (but it wont get too hot)

But I’d still take a stab at getting a replacement from Dell.

THIS might be my choice for over-all quietness with adequate CFM capability. Give the low cost, I’d get both and see which gives the least noise and best cooling. (CPU temp)

I have the 80mm thermaltake thats rated about 72cfm and also have a cooler master thats rated over 80 cfm If I’m not mistaken. They are loud but not so loud that you would hear them in another room. My experience has been that having them set in the middle somewhere, compared to being cranked all the way up, only makes a few degrees difference on the cpu. I would think that something 50-60cfm or even a little less would work fine, unless your cpu was already close to overheating, which it shouldn’t have been with an oem setup. Of course if you find something faster that has a speed control, you can always set it where you like it, and has been mentioned, if your motherboard has a 3 pin fan connector for the fan, you can most likely control the fan automatically based on the cpu temperature. Google speed fan or I think motherboard monitor 5 can do it too.