807a vs. 807uf any reviews anywhere?

Does anyone know of any reviews on Plextors new 807uf external drive?

I was just about ready to purchase the 807a when I seen the new 807uf on Plextors site. I’m just wondering if its any faster since it uses USB 2 and Firewire.

The Plextor site says it burns DVD+R in 8 minutes, same as the 807a. I was just hoping maybe the USB 2 might help it transfer information faster then the internal bus speed.
Then again my bus speed runs at 800mhz, stock, so maybe the internal 807a drive would be faster for me.

Any opinions or reviews on this?

Update:
I just did some reading on the specs on these 2 drives on Plextors site. The only differnce I can find is the 807uf using USB 2 has a burst read/write of 480/mbs.
The internal 807a using Ultra DMA mode 2 only has 33/mbs.

Theoretically this wont improve the write times since the drives only write at 8-10mbs but it should improve read times dramatically. Also it should improve times for testing before the actual burn.

Any thoughts on this?

Originally posted by vortexted
Update:
I just did some reading on the specs on these 2 drives on Plextors site. The only differnce I can find is the 807uf using USB 2 has a burst read/write of 480/mbs.
The internal 807a using Ultra DMA mode 2 only has 33/mbs.

Okay now wait a second. You’re making a few mistakes here.

First, unless I’m completely in the dark, the units you’re looking at are the 708a and the 708uf.

Secondly, you’re getting the bandwidth units mixed up. It’s absolutely not 480mb/s versus 33mb/s. It’s 480Mb/s versus 33MB/s. What you’re missing is that “MB” stands for megabytes and “Mb” stands for megabits. The former unit is eight times smaller, all else being equal. As as is the case with many things, all else is not equal. With a DMA connection, the CPU usage us vastly lower than with any other type of connection.

Another thing is the USB2 transfer rate quoted is the maximum theoretical burst speed, not the actual sustained transfer rate, which you’d be lucky to see at a quarter the burst speed. I bought an external hard drive and the manual specifically mentions the sustained data transfer is typically 80-100Mb/s.

If you want speed, get the internal. If you want the ability to move the unit around to different machines, the external is the ticket…but you pay in transfer rate. It’s all about compromises and what’s important to you.

Rick.

Well said rpali,

A small additional note: the internal and external drives are exactly the same drive. You can, for instance, remove the external drive from its case and use it as an internal drive. I would of course not recommend you doing this as I don’t know if this will void your warranty… But, since both versions are exactly the same they will offer the same performance (provided of course that your computer can handle the 11MB/s the drive needs at 8x DVD+R burning via the USB 2.0 interface).

Originally posted by rpali
[B] It’s 480Mb/s versus 33MB/s. What you’re missing is that “MB” stands for megabytes and “Mb” stands for megabits. The former unit is eight times smaller, all else being equal. As as is the case with many things, all else is not equal. With a DMA connection, the CPU usage us vastly lower than with any other type of connection.

[/B]

Thanks Rpali. I didn’t even catch that last night when I was reading it. Your right, one is MB and the other Mb.
Well that settles it, i’m buying the internal :slight_smile:

Last night the web site said the 807uf could be bought on “preorder”, tonight it shows in stock. So it should start showing up in the channels soon :slight_smile:

Originally posted by vortexted
Last night the web site said the 807uf could be bought on “preorder”, tonight it shows in stock. So it should start showing up in the channels soon :slight_smile:
It’s the 708! :smiley:

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
It’s the 708! :smiley:

Oh… geeze… .I do have the numbers backwards. Ok. thats it. Its official…I’ve been working way to much. I’m reading things backwards now. I’m taking a break and going and getting away from my computer this weekend :cool: