800a FW B5N7 and more?

vbimport

Has anyone ever used this firmware? I can’t seem to get it to flash, what firmware needs to be on the drive? Is is worth using over B3D7? Also, I have 1 800a@822a fw B3LC and one 800a@800a dual fw B3D7. The 800a dual firmware burns -R media MUCH better then the 800a@822a, is this normal. One more question while I am at it, how can I flash the 800a@822a back to 800a firmware? The patcher that I used originally had a back patcher that does not seem to work. I am want to flash both to the same firmware (800a fw) and see if it is a difference is the actual drives or just the firmware.

TIA

Have you tried any of the cvt firmwares on this page?

http://dvdpro.club.st/firmware/BENQ_FW.htm

I have tried the official B5N7 and the .cvt B5N7 from that page, that is the only place I have seen them.

Can you use the B3D7 cvt file from that page to flash back your 800@822 back to a 800?

I tried too and did not succeed. If I recall correctly, these firmwares were for special drives sold in Taiwan. I believe that the drive had to be at a certain firmware version already (B2M7 or B4N7?) for these to work. Perhaps there is some hardware difference with these other drives which prevents these firmwares from flashing on regular 800s.

In any case, I just flashed mine to an 822 using the hack and then to the latest 822 firmware B3LC and haven’t looked back.

Quote:Can you use the B3D7 cvt file from that page to flash back your 800@822 back to a 800? /Quote

I have tried this too and it would not flash. Anyone have another suggestion? Next I will try from DOS using tdb’s dos flasher but I have to take it out of the external box first and install on an internal IDE port.

Quote:In any case, I just flashed mine to an 822 using the hack and then to the latest 822 firmware B3LC and haven’t looked back./Quote

I have one that I did this to also, but the 800a dual fw seems to burn -R much better. My 800@822 has never produced a good -R burn,

When using B3LC you can only flash a compressed firmware. The Back flashing package of B2H7 for drives with 830 Firmware package on tdb.rpc1.org is such a compressed firmware and should get your drive back to B2H7.

Thanks ala42, I’ll try it when I get home.