80 wire ide cable? Nforce 2 chipset? (DRW 1008IM)

vbimport

First of all, this is not a complaint. Although I have only had my DRW 1008IM for around a week, my (limited) tests so far have all gone well.

My questions:

[ul][li] Since installing the 1008 drive I get a new message in my Windows (XP, Home Edition) post screen that there is no 80 wire ide cable installed on the secondary ide channel. Is this cause for concern? Could I expect improved performance with an 80 wire cable? And does it matter which connector I use for the master and slave device with the 40 wire cable?
[/li]
[li] …and what about my Nforce 2 chipset? Is the 1008 considered fully compatible?
[/li][/ul]

Thx for any comments…

I get the same message - I have the drive as secondary slave with a 52x Liteon cd writer as master. I have been using the drive for 4 months with NO problems at all.

The drive is a UDMA33 device and does NOT need an 80 wire cable.

I believe it does not matter with 40 wire cables which connector is master or slave.

Some people allege that proprietary Nvidia chipset DRIVERS can cause problems and you should rather use the Microsoft ones that come with windows.(If you are using Windows).

But the chipset itself is not the problem.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest regarding ide cables. (I had read something [a link on this site that I can’t seem to find again] saying that the master should be on the middle connector, but set to slave?! Perhaps I read it wrong?) My drive, too, is the secondary slave, master being a Teac CD-W552EK. Since it works, I expect you are right.

As for the chipset drivers, I do have the proprietary Nvidia drivers, but have so far noticed no problems. Until I do, I suppose I will leave it as is.

…Btw, for those interested in that sort of thing, the German magazine Computer Bild (No. 9/2004) ranked the 1008 no. 3 out of a field of 16 drives including most of the big names. I suppose that these ratings are largely firmware dependent; nevertheless, the 1008 performed well for them.

to get rid of the 80 pin warning, simply put in the bios -standard cmos features- ide seconday master- to “None” instead of auto.
Windows xp will work fine.

Your should get a 80 pin cable for it, the drive supports ata 66, I havent come across alot of cd drives that do that and I think its definently a plus.

Originally posted by TWiST2k
Your should get a 80 pin cable for it, the drive supports ata 66, I havent come across alot of cd drives that do that and I think its definently a plus.

Where did you find that out, TWist2k? have you got a link you could post? And, do you know if the 1004 will support ata 66 as well?

Where did you find that out, TWist2k? have you got a link you could post? And, do you know if the 1004 will support ata 66 as well?

I have a ide1004, 2 actualley but the other died cause of new firmware, anyways when I boot my system, after the initial post it says dvd-rom ata/66 ide1004 drive, I have an nforce 2 as well an NF7-S 2.0. I just usualley make it a rule these days to always use ata/100 cables just to be sure. I could take a pic of it booting, but the reason it says it needs an 80 pin cable is cause it detects its ata/66 and cant use that mode.

If any1 really really really wants to see it ill take a pic but I promise, thats the reason it is asking for an 80 pin cable.

Originally posted by TWiST2k
when I boot my system, after the initial post it says dvd-rom ata/66 ide1004 drive

Same here. I’m also using a 40 pin/80 wire cable exactly for this reason. Just trying to stick to the specs.

Regards, Martin A