80 conductor cable..?

vbimport

I have NEC 3520A and LiteOn SOHR-5238S in my system. And I have connected these drives by 40 pin conductor cable to my mobo. Is 80 pin conductor cable recommended…?? Is there any harm to drives, if I connect this cable?? And will performance increase after doing so…??
While reading this forum I have seen some guys are connecting 80 pin conductor cable to their drives…and I have 40…!! Please forgive me if this question sounds pathetic…I’m a newbie. :slight_smile:

A 80 pin cable wouldn’t harm to your drive, except you pick up a cheap and a bad one,
it could happen that your drive isn’t recognized or your motherboard hooks up. This happened to me. So I would recommend to pay a little bit more for the cable. This
cable allows a higher data transfer rate, so it could only be good

your mainboard

first, make sure you are not already using 80 wire cable. i think the IDE cables supplied with that mainboard might be 80 wire

mobo came up with 80 pin cable, but that I used for my WD HDD. I have attached 40 pin cable to my opticals…!! Is 80 recommended??

if 40 is working fine then there really is no need to change to 80. it is your personal choice

G’sy
I’m prety sure the connectors are 40 pins but the cables are 80 wires. 2 wires per pin. Which gives better transfer. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
John :slight_smile:

Yo redback5-

You are absolutely correct-

There is no such thing as a 80 “PIN” IDE cable - only 80 “WIRE” IDE cable - and the 80 wire cable is preferable to the 40 wire cable (shielding and trhoughput) IMO-

Mike

With the pioneer 108 & 109 an 80 wire ide cable is recogmended, there not that expensive and it may help, so i’d go for the 80 wire ide.

I always use the term 80pin, its easier to understand :wink:

Anyways, no real performance boost will be gained by an 80pin cable, even if the drive works under UDMA4 like the Lite-on “3” series although it might facilitate the data trasfer a bit. An 80pin cable will help with the crosstalk though.

While I won’t disagree with what you say, I have seen many posts from frustrated Pioneer owners who could not get decent speed out of their drives. In most cases the problem was solved when they went to an 80 pin cable.

Hi :slight_smile:
Not wishing to ruffle any feathers but a quite noticable difference allround ( reading / writing ) when changing from 40 >80 wire with both the Pioneer DVR 109 & the Plextor 716a
If I had to put a figure on it I’d say about 10% improvement in all areas

Yes my 109 pioneer did not work right until I changed the 40 wire to 80 wire also pioneer says it will not burn at 15x unless you use the 80 wire. In my case I could not get it to go to dma 4 until I changed the cable.

Yo-

I politely disagree with you - as there is no such thing in an IDE cable and there isn’t any 80 PIN connections - so WHAT is easier to understand -eh??

The continued use of the term 80 pin cable by the senior members in here is ONLY going to serve as confusion for the folks that are new to the optical drive world - period!!

Mike

Not wishing to ruffle any feathers but a quite noticable difference allround ( reading / writing ) when changing from 40 >80 wire with both the Pioneer DVR 109 & the Plextor 716a
If I had to put a figure on it I’d say about 10% improvement in all areas

Yes my 109 pioneer did not work right until I changed the 40 wire to 80 wire also pioneer says it will not burn at 15x unless you use the 80 wire. In my case I could not get it to go to dma 4 until I changed the cable.
Not going to disagree with personal experiences, no reason to, you are most probably right in seeing some improvement in performance, i never experienced any such real difference though :slight_smile:

I politely disagree with you - as there is no such thing in an IDE cable and there isn’t any 80 PIN connections - so WHAT is easier to understand -eh??
Well as it has been mentioned, there is indeed no 80 pin ide cables but 40 pin cables with 80 wires. It is though in my personal opinion insignificant to the general user that just wants to understand wich cable to use when having a problem - 80 pin cables as a term is the one most commonly used, people run into it all of the time and it is how they ask for it most oftenly. I see no harm in referring to an 80 pin cable instead of a 40 pin 80 wire ide cable as long as we understand what we are talking about. Ans as long as some know the difference. That it just my personal opinion, i do understand your point of view though :slight_smile:

Anyways, i think we have lead this discussion a bit off topic … :wink:

I use Benq 1620 Pro Firmware B7V9.
I use 40 pin cable.
On 8x speed I allways get good results. Record time apr. 8min 30 sec
If I burn on 12x I get low buffer (0-40%) and record time > 9min.
Whether the cable can cause?

Sometimes things just do not work with older 40 conductor cables - especially in this age of faster b/w xfer’s. I could not get an IDE drive in a fw/usb2 external case working ‘at all’ using a 40 pin cable - tried 3 cables! (the original 80-pin cable was just a little too short) - replaced it with a longer 80pin cable and all was fine, and has been for over a year.

You should be able to burn up to 16x using a “40 pin cable” :slight_smile: The cable shouldnt and wont be the bottleneck cause unless it is damaged or something, which could be the case you should try out another cable (either a 40 or 80).

It may be the case that the problem lies elsewhere like your DMA settings for the drive or the hdd and/or your ASPI layer.

Mikey is absolutly correct in that it’s an 80 wire cable, not 80 pin and should be related to in that fashion. Why the 80 is better is that each of the 40 pins is grounded individually thus giving you 80 wires Not Pins. Also this is the cause for better transfer rates and superior function over the 40 wire cable. For this reason AleXis6, I would go with the 80 wire and see if that solves your issue. If it doesn’t, you need to look at your power supply.

I changed my 40-pin cable on 80 pin cable.

It nothing has changed.

My power supply - is good.

I use MB ASUS CUBX + PCI UDMA 66 Promise.
My Hdd (maxtor diamondmax_plus_9 - 80 Gb) connected to Promise66.
MY BENQ 1620 connected to MB (UDMA 33)

If I connected BENQ to Promise - The situation is even worse (The processor is loaded on 100 % already on 8x).
Can it is guilty Promise 66?

Intel BX + Benq = problem?

What size power supply do you have? Check and make sure your voltages are good on it. If it’s a small PS, this could be your problem. BenQ’s do suck up a fair amount of power and there have been reports of people having trbl with them if their PS is to small. Also verify again that the drive is set to DMA and NOT PIO in Device Mgr and or BIOS. It should be set to at least Ultra DMA 2.