8 Speed Reliable for Data Disk (backup image)

Hey all, quick not so technical anwser sought…(grin)…

I backed up my HD “C” using Acronis and created several IMAGE files at 4.2 gigs each…I am burning them to DVD at 8X (4X media, +4), and checked one of them with NERO (verfiy) after I was done. It said it was fine.

Anyway, if something was amiss, what would it be? I just want to make sure if need be I can back up my system, or should I say, restore.

thanks

The downside to using optical backups is that the discs could decay. If the dye was not stabilized properly by the disc manufacturer or if the burn has too many errors from KProbe, the disc would be more susceptible to decay, which would produce errors. Not to mention, the discs are fragile. In my experience, I have had a few CDs go bad (no DVDs, since I haven’t been burning them for long), but those were generally poor-quality discs to begin with. But when they go bad, it’s only one or two minor errors on the disc. Anyway, I’m rambling on here… if I were you, what I’d do is make 2 copies if the data is really important. And if it’s long-term data storage, I might want to consider reburning it in a few years (but then again, in a decade, we’ll probably be using a new technology anyway).

I would personally burn them at their certified speed: 4X, which is CLV and does not produce those Z-CLV jumps.

Shorter burning time isn’t worth the loss of data!

P.S.: & would use some eXtra HIGH QUALITY medias like Taiyo Yuden, or s.t.l.t.

for data integrity and longevity, I’d work at the rated speed as well and use high quality. Davesman is right on the money.

I think it really depends on the situation. For me, I get fewer errors burning at 8x than at 4x. This may not be the case for everyone, but it is possible that for some media (even those rated at 4x), the 8x burn strategy works better on it. I’m not sure I’m willing to make a blanket 8x-is-always-worse-than-4x-on-4x-media statement because that’s not what I’ve seen.

and backup frequently. the only thing worse than having no backup is having an old backup that loses all the good stuff.

acronis has a scheduler. i use it to backup across the network with full and then incremental backups for a week. then i burn the whole set for that week and delete it from the hard drive.

it works awesome!

Originally posted by cnlson
[B]and backup frequently. the only thing worse than having no backup is having an old backup that loses all the good stuff.

acronis has a scheduler. i use it to backup across the network with full and then incremental backups for a week. then i burn the whole set for that week and delete it from the hard drive.

it works awesome! [/B]

I use the same thing with Drive Image. It runs a full system image every night to a RAID-1 mirrored array. Burn that weekly, but I’ve never had to go further than the array to get my data back. Optical discs should be your 2nd or 3rd level of backup, your “plan B”.