8 or 16x sony dvd+r or 16x phillips dvd+r

vbimport

whats the better dvds to buy i only norm buy verbatim but the sony and the phillips are on offer

I’d get the Sony media rather than the Philips. At least the 16x Sony DVD+R should be good (haven’t tried the 8x).

Philips 16x DVD+R can be almost anything so it’s very unpredictable.

With Sony you can’t also not be sure to get real quality media, from poor to good I had everything. Philips you are right you never know what you get at all, recently they often use Infome R30 and InfomediaR30 which were surprisingly excellent. Hard to find such Sonys. :slight_smile:

Sonys - you know you’re gonna get a Sony MID everytime (and Sony MIDs have been more consistent on my end, contrary to BurningFish’s experience). I’ve had a bad history with Philips that I would only recommend it to my enemies. Those Made in China CMC MAG M01 (Philips 16x DVD+R) are truly horrible, never had an acceptable burn with every one, although I haven’t tried any Made in HK Philips that BurningFish has great success with.

All my Philips media were useless, lost data within 6 months on one, all the others degraded to the point that if I had kept them they might not have been readable in a couple of years or less.
Some were 8x Infomedia R20 (INFOME R20) and I had some Moser Baer 16x MBIPG101 R05, both aged badly.
Seriosly, a CMC MAG DVD (CMC MAG E01, IIRC) burned at a similar time held up way better under most every test :eek:
and the poster before me said they’ve started using Chinese crap now too. So there’s not much point in getting any Philps DVDs as they’re not exactly quality media

Not to be missunderstood I don’t recomment Philips without restriction cause you don’t know what you get. CMC and MBI are indeed often not good. But if you are lucky enough to get Infomedia in actual Philips ware it is no reason to complain as you can see in the scans. I never had such good Sonys who are by the way often produced from MBI too. Things can change quickly and Infomedia seems to have learnt a lot, there 16x media are way better than there 8x media and their 16x media from this year is way better than ever before.

Sony most times are medium quality in my experience, surer than Philips but I would rather comment Verbatim instead. There the chances for quality media is better than with Sony and of course much better than with Philips.

cheers for all your adivce guys looks like i’ll go for the sonys

[QUOTE=BurningFish;2178371]I never had such good Sonys who are by the way often produced from MBI too.[/QUOTE]

Im not sure if MBI makes Sony discs, but I am pretty sure that Daxon makes them for Sony (in Taiwan and Malaysia, using Sony technology). Anyhoo, I did get some Made in Taiwan Philips 2.4x DVD+R DL with a CMC MID - I only trust CMC media Made in Taiwan. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=jedi_jay;2178378]cheers for all your adivce guys looks like i’ll go for the sonys[/QUOTE]

Good call. Sony is just a notch down from Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim media in terms of stability and quality - I hope you get a good batch! :wink:

[QUOTE=evo69;2178381]Im not sure if MBI makes Sony discs, [/QUOTE]

They do, many Sony here in Europe are Made in India. Daxon Sonys are also available and most times the better ones. Lead Data is also manufactorer for Sony in Taiwan. Some years ago many european Sonys are made in Luxenbourgh, I have some very ugly batches of them, in Austria 3M media also makes Sonys. So Sony media is like a couloured bunch.

[QUOTE=BurningFish;2178400]They do, many Sony here in Europe are Made in India. Daxon Sonys are also available and most times the better ones. Lead Data is also manufactorer for Sony in Taiwan. Some years ago many european Sonys are made in Luxenbourgh, I have some very ugly batches of them, in Austria 3M media also makes Sonys. So Sony media is like a couloured bunch.[/QUOTE]

3A Media Austria never made Sony DVDRs. Sony manufactured CD-Rs in their own plant in Austria.

Than whoever produced them I have Sony DVD media “Made in Austria”. Maybe two or three years ago I saw the last time some of them.

A breakdown of the manufacturers of Sony DVD media:

Daxon = MIT + MIM (DVD-R is mostly MIM, DVD+R is mostly MIT) = Worldwide

Moser Baer = MII = Europe (haven’t seen any in the states or elsewhere, yet)

Lead Data = MIT = Non-Sony brands like GQ at Fry’s in the states (no longer manufactured or available)

Daxon = MIT = Non-Sony brands like BenQ (no longer manufactured or available)

TDK = MIL = Europe (no longer manufactured or available)

Taiyo Yuden = MIJ = North America (no longer manufactured or available)

Sony = MIA = Europe (no longer manufactured or available)

Sony = MIJ = Worldwide (no longer manufactured or available)

In other words, Sony brand media is currently 90% Daxon made, 10% Moser Baer made, and the rest doesn’t count because it no longer exists, or isn’t sold with the Sony name on it (the materials and media codes are Sony, but the brand it’s sold under is something else).

So, just look for MIT or MIM and the Sony name and you’ll get the good Daxon.

REALLY simple. :rolleyes: