8.2.3.0 won't close correctly

vbimport

I still like and use 8 more than 9.

But all of a sudden, 8.2.3.0 doesn’t want to close properly. The DVD is copied to the hard drive and then written to media and finalized with no problem, but at the end, when I should get a pop-up telling me the operation was successful, I get a pop-up that says: "Failed to set data for ‘AttemptCount’.

If I exit that pop-up, I can only use Cancel and the confirmation OK, which then lets me exit DVDFab.

This happens on any disc I copy, so it’s not media related.

joelrosado are you by chance using the VSO burn engine? The last time i heard about this error was when someone was using the VSO instead of using Imgburn to do there disc.

You can also look at this thread and see if it helps

[I]Bean55 asked:[/I] …are you by chance using the VSO burn engine? The last time i heard about this error was when someone was using the VSO instead of using Imgburn to do there disc.

I’ve been using DVDFab since version 3. With the exception of a brief time when I experimented with using the ImgBurn engine in version 6 and 8, I’ve found the VSO engine appears to work as well and as fast as ImgBurn. It was working fine with the latest 8 until recently, and then this happened.

I’ll try ImgBurn and see if that fixes the problem - and report back with the results.

@ joelrosado , I usually use ImgBurn but I haven’t ever burned automatically with DVDFab . If ImgBurn doesn’t correct your problem I could test with VSO or I think I can.
If I do it will be with a DVD RW SL at least on the first try. I do have some off brand DVD Rs if necessary I would “waste” one of those with a try.
Let me know.
BTW I have never installed any version 9 on my OS even though I have lifetime platinum. I do have the latest 8.2.3.0 .

I switched the burn engine to ImgBurn and got a similar error message. Even worse, when I tried to get out of it, I got a BSOD.

At least I could burn the disc from my hard drive to DVD media with VSO.

Here’s the ImgBurn result:

It is my understanding that the common causes for this error are a failing drive or bad media.
With it causing a BSOD my bet is on a failing drive.

[QUOTE=cholla;2718075]With it causing a BSOD my bet is on a failing drive.[/QUOTE]
BSOD for me rather sounds like a bad driver (maybe SATA driver)

But finding the real cause for a BSOD can sometimes be very time consuming. There’s a tool called BlueScreenView, but the indicated driver at least for me was not the reason for my BSODs.

I had to install Microsoft’s Debugging Tools to actually find the conflicting driver.

If it is a driver.
One way to check may be to install the trial of AnyDVD if you don’t have it or haven’t used the trial.
That will install AnyDVD.sys as a driver for your DVD drives.

It think virtual clonedrive from slysoft may also install it .
I can’t remember if it does .
I know there used to be one of either slysoft or elaboratebytes installs that let you keep this driver even after the trial. They may have fixed that . It would be difficult for me to test this .

Prodisc Ugg.;):bigsmile:

Using Prodisc and writing at max speed is not a good combination

looks like alan & bean vote for bad media being the cause.

[QUOTE=cholla;2718228]looks like alan & bean vote for bad media being the cause.[/QUOTE]

You can add my vote to that too! :slight_smile:

As you probably already know, Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are the only ones I ever recommend and they’re well worth that little bit extra in the long run.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I also mentioned the Max write speed.
If the Device is going out or the driver is having an issue all of a sudden writing at Max speed is not helping.

Bad Media was my second choice in post #6 .
Max speed is not a good idea even with good media .
Much less with bad media.

Max speed is not a good idea even with good media .
Much less with bad media.

I agree with you there cholla :iagree:

And if you get Verbatim Media make sure that you get the 95098 disc because they have the ASO dye in them and I burn the 16X at 12X and have no problem with any burn at that speed :smiley:

@ joelrosado , I had some time so I did some tests with 8.2.3.0 .
I was able to burn discs with ImgBurn & VSO with this version of DVDFab.
I did a rip to the harddrive then used DVDFab to run the burn with ImgBurn & VSO to a DVD -RW SL(Verbatim).
I also did this “on the fly” with ImgBurn once.

I had to change a setting to burn with ImgBurn but after that I didn’t get an error message. The message was different that the one you got.
Mine was that ImgBurn couldn’t exclusively lock the drive.
To stop this error I had to uncheck the writing (burning) drive in:
DVDFab\Common Settings\ DVD\Blu-ray\Drives .
If you just have one drive you need to check this again to decrypt a commercial DVD .
It needs to be unchecked to burn smoothly with ImgBurn.
You can select continue from the failure to lock error & the burn will complete (or it did for me). I prefer not to get it though.

On my OS this version seems to be working correctly.

So as several members posted above it is most likely the media.