7zip vs Winzip

vbimport

I need compression software which, when written to dvd’s, will span dvd’s if necessary. The 7 zip software does not say it will span dvd’s. Will it span dvd’s if it must archive a large file (say 10 gigs?)

[QUOTE=donpick;2525131]I need compression software which, when written to dvd’s, will span dvd’s if necessary. The 7 zip software does not say it will span dvd’s. Will it span dvd’s if it must archive a large file (say 10 gigs?)[/QUOTE]

Well then why not go BD-R media then? What are you trying to compress to take that much space - Mount Everest?? That is way to much you should just get a external HDD and send it to that your wasting alot of DVD just to do that. Also what are you asking or comparing the two software one is free and one is paid…so they won’t compare correctly…

I agree. It is not a good idea to compress a huge amount of data for backup purpose. A slight damage of the backup media will render the whole backup useless.
I’d rather suggest no compression at all, or compress single files (but with restore information then).
You may also have a look at Dvdisaster.

There are few CD/DVD writing softwares that are able to do disc spanning. If I remember correctly, Roxio could - but it is better to check if this feature is present in recent versions.

Michael

Pretty sure 7-zip can split/span in any size lumps you want, though you need enough space to line up the entire result before you write them with something else - don’t recall any direct media writing options.
Yes, splitting to DVD size volumes is an option, and it can split large files across volumes.

7-zip has several splitting options and a field to type a custom size:

If this is a large video file (e.g. a movie, CCTV footage, etc.), I would suggest selecting “Store” as the compression level for faster archiving, since most video files (as well as JPEG pictures and MP3 songs) are already compressed.